Project E-Mod MGB-GT

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is very impressive fab work and those are excellant welds. Do they make headers for that engine or will you have to fab them?

Thanks :) Getting good welds is very difficult in 1/2" spaces between body and rollbar but I think I've built a strong cage and will be adding a lot of gussets, too. I have found two companies that make headers for the V12, both are for the E-Type Jag and prices start at $2500 usd-so I will be making my own using mandrel bent tubing. I am planning on running the entire exhaust through a widened driveshaft tunnel so I can have a completely flat floor.

I decided to move the engine back another 6" so now I don't have to move the steering rack, the stock exhaust will work and the upper tubes going to the front frame are straight and at a decent angle, making it much stronger. So now the whole engine (except the crank pulley) is behind the front axle.Posted ImagePosted Image

I welded the top bars in but there's still a suprising amount of flex in the front end-I put a big bar on the front and tried to twist it-it flexed a little more than I like so more tubes will need to be welded in.Posted ImageI notched the front crossmember in order to drop the motor as far as possible:Posted Image

Driving to SCCA Nationals this weekend so today I put in extra effort to get things done on the MGB. I got the rear supports, diagonal brace and rear suspension mounting points done. Look carefully and you see that I have an extra wide transmission tunnel to allow the driveshaft and dual exhaust to pass through to the back, allowing for a flat floor:Posted ImageAnd some braces on the front:Posted ImageAnd put the engine, trans and racing seat in to get an idea of how it will all work. The seat will actually be more upright and the tranny moved forward an inch from what you see in the picture. The shifter will be in a pretty good position:Posted ImagePosted Image

• 2 weeks later...

Got the 4 link rear suspension welded in, these pics were taken before I welded in reinforcement bars. I don't have an axle yet so some exhaust tube stands in it's place:Posted ImageDon't know why it hangs so low but as per the directions, the bars are level and can be adjusted up or down based on what I want the car to do:Posted ImageTransmission crossmember is in and had to be notched to make the trans level:Posted ImageDash bar:Posted Image

Amazing welding skills! Wish I could learn how to do it that well...

Thanks, growing up in the family business of a welding shop helped ;) Some of my welds weren't so pretty today because my building has voltage drop problems. The welding will be going great and suddenly the bakery turns on an oven and it throws all my settings off and I get bubblegum welds.

Too busy to do any work on the car but ONE of my front shocks arrived. It's an Ohlins sportbike rear shock and has high/low speed compression, rebound, pre-load and height settings. If you look at the linkage that was included(attached to the bottom of the shock in the picture) it actually bolts onto the top of the shock as well and my plan is to use it as a rocker arm for a pushrod front suspension.Posted Image

I wanted to get an idea of the weight of the car so I put everything I had on it in approximately the position it would be in and put simulated weight on it for the parts I don't have yet. The bad news is that it's too heavy by 188 lbs but the good news is that the weight balance is 54% Front, 46% Rear. I can still cut a bunch of weight out of the hood/fenders/doors/interior and crossmember plus the cast iron exhaust manifolds are heavier than the headers but it looks like the car will be a little heavy. I'll be going at it with a hole saw and plasma cutter this week.

Archived