Project E-Mod MGB-GT

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bad News Racing sent me a tune to try so I loaded it into the ECM and fired it up. I got it up to temperature and put it in 2nd gear then mashed the brake and gas at the same time. It quickly became clear that something was very different, the boost hit 20 psi and the brake discs started to glow red from me trying to hold the engine back. I waited until customers left the kart track then I took the car for a little drive. I have done many laps with the V12 and the V8  and the track never felt really small, until now. The boost comes up and suddenly I'm going way too fast inside a building. It's not enough time to see if the engine was going to go into some kind of limp mode or reduce power so I did donuts with the loud pedal to the floor. It bounced against the rev limiter but didn't seem to fall off. I need to study the data logs and put it on a dyno but it definitely took a step in e right direction today.
IMG_5104_zpsabb4unbj.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfhLey5Nw4U

Are you going to take your car to the dyno day on May 13 or May 14?

Copied info from Scott McDonald:

You can register now for a dyno testing slot.  It is on Friday, May 13 and Saturday May 14 at Speed Factor's dyno site at 1465 Chevrier (back of the building). 

Friday runs in half hour slots from 9 to 11:30, and 1 to 5.  Saturday runs from 9 to 1. 

To register and pay ($68) go to dlbracing.com and Calendar View to find our listing on May 13 and 14.  Pay either day then email me your first 3 time choices you would like to come. 

I'll confirm with as close to your 1st choice as I can get.  You need to be there and ready to go 15 minutes before you are scheduled.  You get 2 pulls.

Scott McDonald, Road Race Director

Winnipeg Sports Car Club

I was measuring motion ratio of the different rocker holes and noticed that I may have a conflict between the lower bar mounts and the floor. I used my suspension program to check anti-squat at the various holes and realized that I didn't need that bottom hole anyways, so it had to go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kiu_T4BFjc&feature=youtu.be

In the video it looked like you have a partial cut that gets pretty close to the new bottom hole. Any concern that it might be a weak point?

Are you going to be bringing the car out to the test and tune on Saturday April 30? I know we are all eager to see you doing some running. I envy your workshop and plethora of tools.

14 hours ago, codewhore said:

In the video it looked like you have a partial cut that gets pretty close to the new bottom hole. Any concern that it might be a weak point?

Are you going to be bringing the car out to the test and tune on Saturday April 30? I know we are all eager to see you doing some running. I envy your workshop and plethora of tools.

I welded that up before paint. I need to test but I don't know really want to run at St.Andrews but we'll see

I installed the painted panels on the car. There is dust in the paint but I'm afraid I don't have the money to get a professional to paint them in a booth so I'll just have to put up with it. I really dig how the pink and grey go together. Photobucket is having problems
IMG_5177_zpstchizn2l.jpg

IMG_5176_zpsnkgsmft7.jpg

I put the car on the dyno today and everything went as smooth as glass. It made 282 HP before even touching the tune. Jerry from Bad News Racing used TeamViewer program to make the changes remotely on my laptop and I just loaded the tune and made another run. After a few runs it was making really good power and I didn't have to stress the engine at all. We didn't run it to risky RPM or even close to lean. We didn't run the big cooling fans on the car and it's temp stayed at a steady 185. I also took it for a drive and it really goes and feels amazing. My rear brakes are bigger than the fronts and even with full front bias, it tended to lock up rears. I have already solved this but milling away 1/3 of the rear brake pads. It's crude but it works.  I'm going to source some higher octane fuel and will try again another time.
IMG_5202_zpsumhy0lae.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbB3n2pGGFc

I have been tinkering with little things here and there, just tying up loose ends. There was a small coolant leak and there was a gap on the drivers side between fender and frame that I had to block to keep debris from getting kicked up on me. Both of those things are solved and the drivers side door is on. I need to come up with a plan for graphics but the car looks pretty good as is.
IMG_5232_zpsunaibrhe.jpg

IMG_5218_zpsgu8wan6k.jpg

Cool! Looks great!

Are you leaving the rear section behind the driver open like that? Curious if it matters that the suspension is exposed. Obviously it's handy for making adjustments.

6 hours ago, Beau said:

Cool! Looks great!

Are you leaving the rear section behind the driver open like that? Curious if it matters that the suspension is exposed. Obviously it's handy for making adjustments.

Yes, I'm leaving it open. 

I got some of the stickers from the printer and put them on, can you guess what the symbols stand for? I also put the passenger side door on but it was difficult, I hope I don't have to put that on again anytime soon.
IMG_5245_zpsxxcktluo.jpg

IMG_5244_zps8n07iswi.jpg

IMG_5243_zpsghnvtb8n.jpg

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine sends out a monthly newsletter with extra content. Looks like the Pink Pather caught their attention and was a feature build thread for May, congrats!

Looking forward to seeing the update for Spring Nationals!

1 hour ago, Magner said:

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine sends out a monthly newsletter with extra content. Looks like the Pink Pather caught their attention and was a feature build thread for May, congrats!

Looking forward to seeing the update for Spring Nationals!

Cool, hope I get more YouTube subscribers

Big one would be Master Battery Switch

then from left to right: Ignition/Start : Fuel Pump: Water Pump? : Electric Power Steering? : Rad Fans

the car looks awesome. I love the "windshield" lol

Look out bug eyed sprite!

Archived