2010 TSD Rally series

917guy

Tentative dates for the winter series are:January 23 START AT WAVERLEY MITSUBISHI. Meeting at 1 pm; leaving shortly after. $5 per person.February 20March 13As usual, these will start about 1 pm, and will take a little over an hour to run.These avoid Ice Race dates. If an Ice event has to be delayed to one of these dates, we will probably shift ours too.More details to follow.

• 3 weeks later...

Waverley Mitsubishi sponsors January Rally startThe January TSD Rally will start from Waverley Mitsubishi, shortly after 1 pm on Saturday, January 23. $5 per person; on the road a little over an hour. First part of the 2010 WSCC Rally Championship.

• 2 weeks later...

As of today, there are (3) Mitsubishi teams and (3) Subaru teams that I am aware of that have committed to attend/participate. This does not include us either, so, (7) entries so far, although, I'm sure there are a number of others that have contacted David/Vicki directly.

winter rally roadsRemember: winter roads have stones. If this will worry you on the TSD, let me know. Reply or speak to me at the membership meeting. We had some chip-averse entrants 3 years ago. Most of our events are shiny-car friendly, but not all!

no stone chips!!Because it might snow, the country-road rally south of the city has been postponed. Tomorrow we will be using all paved city streets, at lower speeds in case there is a lot of snow!THERE WILL BE A RALLY. MEET AT 1 PM...

Rally statusI will soon post a bit more information on the type of TSD we run in Manitoba, as that was omitted from our WSCC Rally website page. We have held regularity runs here, but they are not nearly as popular with our competitors.Today's rally went well. We were a big hit with our generous supporter, Waverley Mitsubishi. We had about 25 happy car enthusiasts at the after-party.The top ranking team was from the Subaru club, second was from the Corvette club, and third place was a WSCC team, so no club is dominating yet. It should be a fun, and interesting season.Next rally will be Feb. 20. More information soon.David

I wrote this for the club newsletter a few years ago. I think it is still relevant....Most Winnipeggers are in one of two groups. Either they have no idea what a car rally is, or they have been in (or have heard of) a bad one.For those of you who have never entered one, here is what you will find:You arrive, meet with the organizers, sign a waiver, enjoy a coffee and cookies or a donut. When everyone is ready, there will be a meeting. Sometimes the talking about cars gets carried away and has to be interrupted by the Rallymaster. At the meeting, he will explain the rules of the ‘game’. A parking lot and a driveway are not roads for the purpose of the Rally. No one should break any traffic law, especially speeding. TSD stands for “time speed distance”. You tell us the time it took, and we can calculate your average speed.We will give you a printed list of instructions. Between these are simple questions for you to answer. I might quote the slogan on a billboard, with one of the words left for you to fill in. You are asked to average a certain speed. This is usually about half the posted limit. At this pace, you have time to enjoy the scenery and answer any questions. You will find that most traffic averages about half the posted limit anyway. . At 3 minute intervals, teams will start.The route will take you to the venue of our after-party. When you finish, we begin adding up your correct answers, and calculating the number of minutes you were too fast or too slow in each segment of the route. Being 3 minutes too fast here and 3 minutes late there adds up to 6 minutes of error, not zero! While this is being done in one corner of the room, everyone is telling stories of their shared driving experience. This is a wondrous team-building process. When we end at a restaurant, teams either talk or order food, their choice. The host restaurant rewards us in some way. One is a couple of gift certificates, which can be applied by the winners to their meals.The team with the smallest penalty for being too fast or too late wins for best time. The team with the most correct answers wins a different prize.The after party is exciting, but the hour’s drive is also fun. We manage to find roads that most entrants have never seen before. You will discover many wonderful homes and ne’er before seen aspects of the city, even if you have driven in it all your life.David

• 4 weeks later...

even better?The Feb rally will not have lots of fresh snow like last time. :( It will have much more scenic roads. Most of it is on empty roads. :D It is all paved, and all in the city.See you all tomorrow... our Mitsubishi friends will have their 'welcome table' all ready for us!David

Although advance sign-up is not required, it does help David (917guy) if he has a rough idea how many will/may show-up. Interest sake aside, I think it's mainly to ensure he has enough TSD sheets to go around...as well as being able to give the restaurant a rough idea how many seats/tables will be needed.

On behalf of David, thanks to those that participated in todays event. Although there was only a total of (7) teams, it was certainly much easier to navigate this time around. Hope to see more WSCC folk attend and show their support for all of the hard work that David puts into these events.

ROUND #3 (final TSD for the 2010 season):Saturday, March 13th (meet at 1pm)Waverley Mitsubishi1717 Waverley StreetAlthough advance sign-up is not required, please add your name to the following list if you might make it:1) Jan & Jody2) 3) 4) 5)

ROUND #3 (final TSD for the 2010 season):Saturday' date=' March 13th (meet at 1pm)Waverley Mitsubishi1717 Waverley StreetAlthough advance sign-up is not required, please add your name to the following list if you might make it:[/quote']1) Jan & Jody2) Stephan & Clayton 3) 4) 5)Had a blast today, once the initial panic wore off started to settle into our groove, maybe next time we can actually get more of the questions since we now kinda know more of what we are doing

Last WINTER TSD for 2010.We have plans for 1 or 2 TSDs in the fall. Probably late October and mid November. When there are not many other local motorsports events. Dates to be firmed up closer to the time.See everyone on March 13th! All country roads, if the weather cooperates!David

Hey David, already pumped about the 13th :D question tho, is there any type of standings that get tracked thru the season so those new ones of us can see if we are improving etc? and if so are they online anywhere? and if not i can easily throw together a leaderboard type web app with secure login so results can be posted for the season etc, let me know :)Steph

• 3 weeks later...

pointsI will bring the points so far with me to Waverley Mitsubishi for the driver's meeting. I have just completed the target times for tomorrow, based on today's run-through.The rally will take us outside the city. The roads are not too bad for bumps ... no potholes... better than a lot of city streets. It should look good in the sunshine tomorrow.1 pm meetingJust over an hour on the road$10 per carMeet for a pizza party, as usual, at the finish line.

Archived