August 24th Data

Fast_Toys

Here are Jeff's 4 runs:Posted ImageGreen = Run 1Red = Run 2Black = Run 3Pink = Run 4Here are Jeff's lateral G's:Posted ImageRunning in the morning, I didn't have any runs with enough traction to really add anything to Jeff's data so I have shown his fastest run (3) along with my 2nd fun run:Posted ImageJeff = GreenPhil = RedHere is the lateral G's plots:Posted ImageSo what did I learn?Honda S2000's can carry more speed in tight turns (duh). More importantly though, Jeff is turning the wheel much harder into turns and getting his lateral g's up much quicker. I am turning the wheel far too slow and although I can match his peak g's in some places, he is getting there much quicker. You can see this by how steep his laterl G's curves are compared to mine. The S2000 obviously can take this quick steering inputs... I guess I will have to try and see if the vette can do the same.Jeff keeps getting on the throttle harder and earlier with each run, learning from the last. I will let Jeff comment on how he figures that out! It shows in his data.

Uh oh' date=' Jeff's head is going to swell up and the higher centre of gravity is going to slow him down at Nationals-lol ;)[/quote']I guess he will have to lose some weight to counteract that ;)Interestingly, you can see that this course had no straight sections at all. There are really no places on the course where you are not cornerning.

Damnit, I had a long reply written and it gave me a page load error, now it's gone. I'm packing for KC now but maybe I'll post when I'm down there.Really cool to see the data though. If those plots are properly aligned, it looks like you were just later than I was everywhere.Only one way to find out if my quick-hands style works in the vette - put me in it! :P

I'll see if I can post something useful over the weekend. Our data was screwed up' date=' it shows me going about 10-15 km/hr slower than Kerry everywhere and driving a MUCH shorter distance.[/quote']Yeh, our DL1 data in the Solstice was all messed up and unuseable, must be problems with the satellites.

Corey' date=' that's not what it shows on my computer. All looks normal for the speeds.[/quote']Really? :bigeek: That's interesting!Care to post shots like Phil got? On my computer it looks like I arrive earlier and earlier to each element than you did, and much slower.

You were faster than me through the kink in both directions = you win.

It's interesting to see that you were quite a bit faster than Corey in one section but he got you by two smaller amounts in two other sections which made up for it. It also appears that Corey is braking harder but then drops to a lower speed than you so likely any time he made up with the harder braking, he gave right back to you.I also noticed that Corey shifts earlier than you. It's hard to tell if that had any advantage as the acceleration curves look about the same.Can you set your scale to match Jeff's runs?

It's interesting to see that you were quite a bit faster than Corey in one section but he got you by two smaller amounts in two other sections which made up for it.
It's not a smaller amount' date=' the speed carried in those areas is much higher than in the slower areas where I kick his butt = those areas of higher speed equal greater returns.
It also appears that Corey is braking harder but then drops to a lower speed than you so likely any time he made up with the harder braking' date=' he gave right back to you.[/quote']Look again, he's not braking any harder, we're braking at the same rate. I just do it much later than he does. Sometimes I also brake less, like in the first two hard braking zones. I usually make up some time there. Although on my third run I also drove a longer path, so it's hard to say how much faster, if any, I was.
I also noticed that Corey shifts earlier than you. It's hard to tell if that had any advantage as the acceleration curves look about the same.
Not true' date=' we both shift at the same point in the RPM band. You may have noticed him shifting "earlier" because sometimes we take different lines, so to someone outside the car it may seem like one is shifting earlier in the RPM band due to their position on the track, but really it was just because of the chosen line and exit speed for the previous turn. You can see from the distance chart that Corey early apex's most turns more than me, so all of his lines between the cones would seem earlier than mine because that's exactly what he's doing. It has nothing to do with the point at which he switches gears, we switch at the same point in RPM, therefore the acceleration should be the same assuming no wheel spin or extra Pizza's Corey might have ate.
Can you set your scale to match Jeff's runs?
Ummm, you mean feet instead of KMs? No, get with the SI system man!

Archived