Sign in to follow this  
SoloSnapshots

Classing help (old)

With a stock rear bar if everything else is stock legal you'd be in DS.

FS not DS. 2004 Audi S4 with 4.2L V8. Going back to stock and competeing in stock class would eliminate any excuses I'd have for doing poorly. Running in ESP by virtue of just having a rear sway bar in gives me at least some wiggle room for excuses. ;) Shawn

Do EMU's affect what class you're in? I have a 97 Prelude SH (electric diff with yaw control) and was planning on getting Greddy Emanage Ultimate to tune the motor a little better. Motor is stock other than a short ram intake.

Do EMU's affect what class you're in? I have a 97 Prelude SH (electric diff with yaw control) and was planning on getting Greddy Emanage Ultimate to tune the motor a little better. Motor is stock other than a short ram intake.

Don't even bother trying to "tune" a stock motor. Waste of time.Honda pretty much have the fuel/timing/VTEC engagement spot-on right out of the box, hence their sky high HP/L ratios.Unless you're cranking up the compression, or throwing some lumpy cams in there, save your money.

Don't even bother trying to "tune" a stock motor. Waste of time.Honda pretty much have the fuel/timing/VTEC engagement spot-on right out of the box' date=' hence their sky high HP/L ratios.Unless you're cranking up the compression, or throwing some lumpy cams in there, save your money.[/quote']Well the plan for the future is a mild NA build and I need to start off with an EMU so I figured why not see if we can squeeze some more power out of this motor. H22 motors tend to run really rich so I was thinking about getting it tuned to lean it out and adjust the timing to see if there is more power to gain. I fugured it's worth a shot as this motor has no low end at all. I really notice the lack of power in autox too. The corner exists in second gear is really slow to get back into the powerband. I don't really want to downshift to 1st as I don't practice that and don't want to cook the tranny :P Once I learn more and have extra parts on hand then I might consider it but until then I was hoping to tap some more juice from this thing. Basically I'm not just sticking the Emanage on and calling it a day. For now yes but the the future, no.

...this motor has no low end at all.... The corner exists in second gear is really slow to get back into the powerband.

You do realize that you're driving a torque-less Honda' date=' right? You will have jack for low-end power regardless of the useless 1 or 2 HP you [i']might be able to squeeze out with a new tune. But at the end of the day, you will still have pittance for torque unless you add a real power-adder to the motor (turbo/supercharger).And what makes you think that you NEED to start off with a new ECU for an admittedly mild N/A build? Save that money for parts that you can make proper use of.(I run an E-Manage, btw)

might be able to squeeze out with a new tune. But at the end of the day, you will still have pittance for torque unless you add a real power-adder to the motor (turbo/supercharger).And what makes you think that you NEED to start off with a new ECU for an admittedly mild N/A build? Save that money for parts that you can make proper use of.(I run an E-Manage, btw)

With the ultimate he can also adjust vtec points, and tune further then with the emanage blue. I can see there being the potential for 15-20hp in the tune, but you will be putting it at the ragged edge with no safety net should something fail as you will need to lean it out and advance timing to do so. Also is the price of the emu and the dyno time and install labour worth it in the end? Couldn't you just use hondata, uberdata, or krome?

I really notice the lack of power in autox too. The corner exits in second gear is really slow to get back into the powerband.
Try a Miata. Even in the powerband they're slow. :pYou'd be in DSP. Your car may feel faster but it probably won't show in your times at auto-x.
15. STREET PREPARED CATEGORY15.1 AUTHORIZED MODIFICATIONSD. Alternate computer control modules may be used whenever an equivalent change to the conventional system is allowed. For example' date=' alternate computer module control of ignition settings or fuel injection is allowed.15.9 ELECTRICAL SYSTEMVehicles may only exceed the allowances of 13.9 as specified herein. A. Any ignition setting, adjustment, or system may be used, subject to the requirements of 15.10.D. This does not prohibit the use of ‘two-step’ rev limiters used when the car is stationary.E. Wiring harnesses may not be removed in whole or in part. Wiring connectors for emissions control devices are considered part of the harness, not part of the emissions control system, and may not be removed.15.10 ENGINE AND DRIVE TRAIND. Traction and/or stability control systems, as defined in 12.11, must be standard parts at standard settings, or electronically disabled.[/quote']

Thanks for the info all :)For starters, yes I know my prelude has no torque lol. This is why I'm planning on doing what I want to do. This is just the beginning of a plan of mine. Any mods require a tune right? So why not get the EMU first right? I honestly don't think the 120/hr without wideband is worth it no. I was trying to get more info about what kind of numbers I might be able to tap from the motor but that answer I don't have right now. Still researching that. I have thought about supercharging it as well. I'm really in the process of still researching what would be best for me. As of now though, I want to learn more with autox as it's only my first season so far. It's really hard to comprehend the rule book though which is why I'm here :)The reason I want the Emanage Ultimate and only the Ultimate is because this is the only EMU out there that supports the ATTS system in my car. No other reason than that. I can't use Uberdata or any other tuning software that I know of because it doesn't support the ATTS.lol, I know the miata is slow but at least you can enter corners faster than my boat :PI'm not sure if I fully understood those rules you posted Gemini. Does that say with an EMU that I can't stay in STS class?If not then that's cool. I can just buy parts as I go and not install them until I am fully comfortable with my driving skills as that's what I'm more concerned with anyways.I just want to mod the car cause I love wasting money! :P

I'm not sure if I fully understood those rules you posted Gemini. Does that say with an EMU that I can't stay in STS class?

It would take you out of STS and put you in DSP. If your plan is for more power in the future you could start with a LSD instead. You could still stay in Street Touring with a LSD but you'd move up to STX.

It would take you out of STS and put you in DSP. If your plan is for more power in the future you could start with a LSD instead. You could still stay in Street Touring with a LSD but you'd move up to STX.

See that is where it gets complicated. I spoken with other prelude owners with the ATTS system and they autox in STX because the diff is like an LSD but it's electronic. It only works durning hard cornering.So either way, I don't want to be in a higher class just yet :)

I have a question:under the SCCA classing it allows Go Karts of different descriptions,now can we run them at a WCMA sanctioned event?thanks for any input.

Unfortunately no. We're only using SCCA car class definitions.ASN has flatly stated that karts are to be run only in Karting events and never at autocross. I pushed this issue quite hard a few years ago and got nowhere. To ASN it comes down to a safety issue (hitting a curb in a kart is a VERY big deal, and even a low-speed collision in the pits can kill the karter) and is not negotiable. :(

88 Celica Alltrac 4wd turbo-lowering springs-2.5" exhaust (no cat)-cold air intake-blow off valve-shortened shifter-aftermarket seatsmy understanding is that i would be in DSP if i get rid of the bov and get a stock shifter otherwise i'd have to run in modified for two things that dont really do much anyway. correct?

I have a classing question for next year. I want to run in STU but thought my car was excluded. I asked the question on SCCA and got a response that pointed to a different document that says my car for sure is included in STU. Here is the link to the SCCA forum thread: http://www.sccabb.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=7420&PN=1&TPN=1 How do I get an official ruling on this to know which document is right?

I have a classing question for next year. I want to run in STU but thought my car was excluded. I asked the question on SCCA and got a response that pointed to a different document that says my car for sure is included in STU. Here is the link to the SCCA forum thread: http://www.sccabb.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=7420&PN=1&TPN=1 How do I get an official ruling on this to know which document is right?

Write the Solo Events Board and ask. seb@scca.com

Got a reply:Hi, Shawn, Your comments have been logged 08-676 for Audi S4 Classing and sent to the SEB. They will discuss this topic and once they have made a decision they will post it in a future FasTrack news. Thanks for your input! Brian HarmerSCCA Solo Technical Assistant1-800-770-2055

All unclassified cars will compete in Super Stock until classified by the SEB' date=' unless covered by a “catch-all” description. To use the catch-alls at the end of the specific car classes in Appendix A, start from Super Stock and work down the classes until a class is found. [b']Such unclassified cars will not be eligible for Divisionals, Tours, or the National Championships. Members should look for a Tech Bulletin in an early current-year issue of the official SCCA publication for details, or contact the National office.

The RL doesn't fit either catch all

F Stock (FS) V8 sedans, pick-ups, and sedan derived convertibles NOCH Stock (HS)+ all RWD pickup trucks NOC

Hey, 1991 Toyota Corolla GT-S-Material removed from the inside of the cat, and aftermarket cat back.-Stock Intake box modified BEFORE air filter, air filter is still secured in the stock method.-Air conditioning removal, sound system removal(wiring still intact in the stock location).-Rear seats, some interior panels removed, I'd like to know how removed interior effects my classing and what my classing would be with the complete interior intact.This might be a dumb question but, I'm also wondering if wscc auto slalom rules use the preparation point system from the ASN Canada Regulations. There is a link to 2008 ASN Canada Regulations in the FAQs and Rules section, so I'm wondering what its relation is to the scca rules. I know its old but is there anything I should concern myself with in the 2008 ASN Canada regulations? Will there be a 2009 ASN Canada regulations?

The modified cat would have you in FSP. Air conditioning can be removed there and as long as the wiring is still in place and any holes for the stereo or speakers are covered you're still fine in FSP.Removing your rear seat bumps you up to SM. Missing interior panels would bump you again to E-Prepared. Over a 60 second course you'd have to be about 2 seconds faster in SM or EP than you would in FSP.We dropped the Canadian rules for classing for a number of reasons. We follow the Canadian ASN rules for running the event but for car classing we run SCCA rules. Most clubs in Canada do the same thing. If you're not planning to go to Saskatoon this year for Canadian Nationals then I wouldn't read up on ASN's classes.

what class will I be in now??Impreza Stimods:crank pulleyturboback exhaust (catted)short ram intakecobb stage 2 ECUswaybars & endlinkscamber platesspringsstreet tires

what class will I be in now??Impreza Stimods:crank pulleyturboback exhaust (catted)short ram intakecobb stage 2 ECUswaybars & endlinkscamber platesspringsstreet tires

Should be BSP, I don't know about the crank pulley though.

Thanks,I'll register as BSP unless someone else thinks the crank pulley puts me in a different class.

It might be worthwhile to look at the street touring classes (STX or STU) since you're running street tires. I'm clueless on their rules but others here should be able to chime in on them.Class isn't too important when you're just starting out, but it's nice to know who to compare yourself to.

STU legal:- crank pulley- turboback exhaust (catted)- short ram intake- swaybars & endlinks- camber plates- springs- street tires (can not be wider than 245mm in STU)If the Cobb stage 2 ECU affects the boost then it bumps the STi to BSP or BSP-S for our local street tire class.

I'm on streets so BSP-S it is!when/are there going to be season passes available (not intending to hijack the thread)thanks for the helpCG