Classing help (old)

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure, but want to make absolute... not that I'm gunning for a trophy...2002 Porsche Carrera 2.- Aerocup II front bumper (stock option in 2004) - AS?- RoW M030 Shocks, Springs and Sways (stock option in Europe) - Not a stock option in Canada, so springs and rear sway push it to ASP?- Porsche GT3 decklid and blade (hood and rear wing - Aerocup II decklid and blade stock option in 2004) - identical to Aerocup II decklid and blade, but different air ducting to intake and part number - ASP?- FVD Brombacher Intake - Airbox replacement - ASP?- IPD Plenum - Plenum replacement - ASP?So ASP

I think the GT3 decklid puts you into SM2. If the GT3 and Carrerra 2 had been listed on the same line in Street Prepared then you'd be ASP with the update/backdate rule.

15. STREET PREPARED CATEGORY15.1 AUTHORIZED MODIFICATIONSC. Equipment and/or specifications may be exchanged between different years and models of a vehicle if (a) the item is standard on the year/model from which it was taken, and (B) the years/models are listed on the same line of Appendix A (Street Prepared Classes). The updated/backdated part or the part to which it is to be attached may not be altered, modified, machined or otherwise changed to facilitate the updating/backdating allowance. Standard factory installation methods, locations, and configurations are allowed. The updating and/or backdating of engines, transmissions or transaxles must be done as a unit; component parts of these units may not be interchanged. Cars not listed in the Street Prepared sections of Appendix A may notbe updated/backdated until approved by the SEB and published in the official SCCA publication.

16. STREET MODIFIED CATEGORY16.1 ALLOWED MODIFICATIONSI. Hoods (engine covers), front fenders, front & rear facias, and side skirts may be modified or replaced, and may be attached with removable fasteners. Associated hardware including latches, hinges, and window washer nozzles may be modified, removed, or replaced. This does not permit removal of the remainder of the window washer system. Mid and rear engine cars may choose to modify or replace the front hood or rear engine cover, but not both. Fenders may be flared as per Street Prepared. Non-metallic fender liners may be modified, replaced, or removed.

You can't mix and match parts between model years in Stock. The intent is to not allow a franken-car with the lightest parts from each model year that could never have been built.

Reading 15.2 I (p. 87) it appears that the bumper and spoiler are SP legal though, correct?15.2 BODYWORKI. Spoilers/splitters and cosmetic trim pieces are permitted. Side skirts may not be used. Spoilers/splitters must comply with the following subsections. The intent of this allowance is to accommodate commonly available appearance kits, and replicas thereof, which have no significant aerodynamic function at Solo speeds.1. A spoiler/splitter may be added to the front of the car belowthe bumper. It may not extend rearward beyond the front most part of the front wheel well openings, and may not block normal grille or other openings, or obstruct lights.Splitters may not protrude beyond the bumper. Openings may not be used for the purpose of ducting air to the radiator or oil cooler, but they may allow air to flow through a permitted oil cooler provided no ducting is used. The spoiler may not function as a wing.2. A spoiler may be added to the rear of the car provided it complies with either of the following:a) It is a production rear spoiler which is standard or optional equipment of a U.S. model of the vehicle, or an exact replica in an alternate material.

I don't see why his spoiler is illegal yet so many people in SP have aftermarket spoilers and or large plexiglass abominations sticking up on their SP cars...where are they finding the ruling that theirs is legal?

Joe's also ducts air into the engine bay' date=' so it's not just aerodynamics. I don't know how that factors into this, if at all.[/quote']Both designs duct into the engine bay. The GT3 decklid is actually detrimental because is ducts into the wrong side and I won't be able to use the "ram air" effect that the AeroCup provides... not that it will matter much at these speeds.

That's a nice try but that wouldn't hold up for Joe. Just because you can in Street Touring doesn't mean you can in Street Prepared.

15. STREET PREPARED CATEGORY15.1 AUTHORIZED MODIFICATIONSB. Street Prepared vehicles may only be modified in excess of Stock Category rules in the following ways. Any modification not specifically authorized by the Stock Category or Street Prepared rules is prohibited. No unauthorized modifications are permitted in order to accommodate authorized modifications (e.g., non-stock hood scoops or holes necessary for carburetor clearance). Structural modifications, such as the addition of members known as “jacking rails”, are not permitted unless specifically authorized herein.

You can fully prepare for Street Touring if your car is eligible for a class there and then run Rs in your Street Prepared class though.

Cars listed as eligible in and prepared to the current national Street Touring (ST) class rules are permitted to compete in their respective Street Prepared classes, with the additional allowance that they may use any tire which meets the requirements of 15.3 and fits on the ST-legal wheels and within the ST-legal bodywork.

Isn't the ALK a Prepared item?

E. Suspension components are unrestricted as long as they use theoriginal attachment points. For the purposes of this rule' date='“suspension” is defined as any item that is designed to movewhen a wheel is deflected vertically. This includes shocks andstruts, control arms, steering knuckles, uprights, etc., but not tierods, steering racks, and subframes. In addition, shock absorber/strut upper mounts are to be considered suspensioncomponents.[/quote']this would change the original attachment point correct? So that would leave you in F-Prepared then?Somebody double check me on this one. i couldn't find anything on the lift kit.

ALK QuestionLooks like the ALK is only legal in prepared class, and they changed the rules to clarify this a couple years ago. This is something i found with very little google searching. there are many other references to it being illegal, but this has the best explanation, mainly because it's from the big cheese
I emailed Doug Gill at SCCA headquaters and he told me that anything that repositions a subframe' date=' such as the Whiteline ALK or the Perrin PSRS is illegal in SM.I'm pretty sure I've seen posts here that indicate the contrary. Does anyone have evidence that would say that the ALK is legal in SM?Here's Doug's email...
Hi' date=' Tony,For 2004, Section 16.1.E (was 18.1.E in 2003) added a definition. It now reads:"Suspension components are unrestricted as long as they use the original attachment point. For the purposes of this rule, 'suspension' is defined as any item that is designed to move when a wheel is deflected vertically. This includes shocks and struts, control arms, steering knuckles, uprights, etc., but not tie rods, steering racks and subframes, In addition, shock absorber/strut upper mounts are to be considered suspension components."Also, 16.1.H was added and says:"Subframe bushings may be replaced with bushings of any material as long as they fit the original location. Offset bushings may not be used."I don't see any way you're allowed to reposition the subframe.The rule of thumb is, "If it doesn't say you can, you can't." It's not unrestricted by 16.1.E and the intent of 16.1.H is not to relocate the subframe. These additions were to keep the subframe in it's factory original location.I don't think this is what you wanted to hear, but I hope it helps.- DougDoug GillSCCA Solo Technical Manager1-800-770-2055785-232-7215 faxdgill@scca.comsolotech@scca.com[/quote']

which class?Ok last season my car ('87 RX-7) was in ES-S, but I am currently turboing my car. There are no turbo kits for my car so it's all custom but i'm using stock turbo components, except for the ECU. The ECU is the stock NA unit but is getting an Rtek7 2.0 chip which can alter fuel and timing maps.According to last seasons classes I believe that would've put me in either DSP or CSP, I'm not sure. And now with these new SCCA classes I have no idea where I stand.

So where exactly would that put me? Would that be like Mod class in the old system? I was hoping to keep it in SP or an equivalent class.

You're still in the SP to MOD class group like last year. This year it just includes all SP, SM, Prepared and MOD classes. The difference in PAX between SCCA's SM2 and the old CAC CSP would be .001 this year. I'd say being in SM2 won't make much of a difference for you.

i have no idea where i would fit into the new classing.turbo back exhaust, electronic boost adjustment,front camber plates, front strut bar, lowering springsrear strut bar, rear sway bar and endlinksaftermarket brake pads and SS lines, 255 width street tires.Also have front strut bar to install.What class would i be in.