Plans for 2008?

Corey

Guest mixed_menace

Ahhh, the impreza is finally being put away this winter..yes call it blasphamous but considering the amount of coin (paint job and other bits) I put into it this summer, I would hate for some knob to hit me and ruin it all for next year =DPlans:Pulling the motor out to do some work, freshen it up a bit for next season (general maint stuff to keep it going)!Hopefully throw on some new bars (F/R). Detail work (got some plans for her next year)Get a beaterBuy a house???Profit

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Contemplating if this is do-able in my garage... Any engineers know an easy/cheap way to "raise" my joists so I have more lifting space?Posted Image

With two vans, it may be an issue. The civic and the odyssey are near the same height, the civic being about 5' and the van just over 6, plus clearance for the rails/lift and room to spare, your looking near 14'. lol.

LOL.I know it's probably a pipe dream but I would really like something like this. They aren't as expensive as one would think either. The model shown is $2400 CDN. I measured the garage and I would be able to get 44 inches of room to work under the car with the current height restrictions. It would of course limit what I could do and I wouldn't be able to put a car on top and drive the second under...If modifying my garage wasn't too much work / money, I may just start saving but I haven't a clue how this could be accomplished.

I had my garage built with a hoist in mind. Half the garage uses scissor rafters which give lots of ceiling height, and half the garage uses attic rafters which give me a large storage area for parts. I suspect that if you looked at scissor rafters, you would see how you could modify your present rafters to give you the height you need.

What about digging a pit in the garage pad, only have to go about 4 or 5 feet down... I know.. not as easy as just saying that, but maybe cost effective compared to lifting the roof/adjusting the structural framework of the roof? At St James VW/Audi they have a nice little lift for quick oil changes, only raises the cars about 5ft, but then there is a pit underneath for the guy to get right under...

What about digging a pit in the garage pad' date=' only have to go about 4 or 5 feet down.[/quote']It is a good idea but if you would do it you will want to make sure you stay above the line of your weeping tile or this pit would become one funky swimming pool.
If modifying my garage wasn't too much work / money' date=' I may just start saving but I haven't a clue how this could be accomplished.[/quote']Send me some pics of the garage and I could tell you if it is possible.

Wray in that modified garage were are the supports for the rafters?It seems the cut or maybe removed the lower bracing of the rafters to give them the height. But didn't add any support posts.Is there a write up on the process? I'd like to see how they did it. It seems like a good idea.

Wray in that modified garage were are the supports for the rafters?It seems the cut or maybe removed the lower bracing of the rafters to give them the height. But didn't add any support posts.Is there a write up on the process? I'd like to see how they did it. It seems like a good idea.

http://www.starbuildingmaterials.ca/startrussw/www/pdfs/trusstypes.pdfthat should show you don, the many options out there for rafters/trusses

Well I guess my secrete is out. I am going to purchase and run Matt's Mustang in 08 (if all goes well:)) As far as I can see it would run in C/Mod. Is this correct? The roll bar in the car is a 4 point but I can not find a real good match in the rules. Any ideas??Thanks

The car should be SM legal. The Mustang is used as an example of the intended cars in the rule book' date=' Royce. C prepared is more badass, true, but the car would need to be very heavily modified to be competitive.[/quote']I hope you are right but I can not see the car fitted into SM. It only notes 4&6 cyls.

I hope you are right but I can not see the car fitted into SM. It only notes 4&6 cyls.

Thats not really the criteria. "Street Modified" is basically what the name suggests: A streetable car with basically unlimited drivetrain and suspension running on DOT-r compounds. In SM the interior must remain in place as well as all the lights, windshield wipers, glass etc. and you are not allowed to make any structural modifications to the car ie. triangulated bracing for example. Typical bracing like lateral strut braces, subframe connectors and roll cages are permitted."Prepared" has more restrictive engine rules, but you are allowed to turn it into a real race car. Things like tube frames, lexan windows and gutted interiors are allowed. Prepared cars can also run on slicks rather than r's.

Wow' date=' I can't even begin to look... but my mods had me in DMOD before... can someone point a lazy man to the cheat sheet? or just tell me where the heck I am going to land?[/quote']I think your car can fit into SM as well. unless you have relocated suspension mount points, or have some weird multiple point bracing you should be good. your allowed to do stuff like the turbo stuff, and your even allowed water injection (no water meth because meth is alternative fuel supposedly) but engine stuff is pretty much unlimited i didn't see any mention about crankshaft or anything...but i'm assuming that's allowed because you can do full motor swaps.

Archived