Hundreds of Manitobans Buy Hybrid Cars!

Not to mention the life cycle of the batteries isn't nearly as long as that of the car. This is unconfirmed (came from a Toyota parts guy who told my dad), but supposedly their estimated useful life is about 6-8 years.Cost of OEM replacement batteries: $7,000 :eek:I'd be seriously TO'd if I owned one and found that out.FOR SALE: 2002 Prius. Batteries not included. $2,000 obo.

I don't get the fascination with diesel torque numbers. Once you put the required tall gears in so they can travel at road speeds without exceding the lower rev limit, they don't have any extra torque at the wheels. Sure, they're fantastic in trucks with automatics for pulling things from a complete stop, but once you're rolling in a manual it's a wash. Diesel truck for pulling your sports car - certainly! Diesel sports car - :shrug:.I've spent quite a few hours driving New Flyer hybrid and conventional buses, I'd honestly pick the hybrid any time! They feel much 'peppier' (relative terms here!) than standard buses. You don't feel the turbo lag that you do with a conventional diesel, and the only time you have to lift your foot off the throttle is in a panic braking situation or when you need to come to a complete stop.The first ~10% of pedal travel varies the amount of regenerative braking, the bottom 90% controls acceleration. Max regenerative braking is 1/3 to 1/2 of the max deceleration you can achieve with the conventional air brakes, more than enough for most traffic situations.

I don't get the fascination with diesel torque numbers. Once you put the required tall gears in so they can travel at road speeds without exceding the lower rev limit' date=' they don't have any extra torque at the wheels. [/quote']I think its mainly people that failed the Gearing portion of their mechanical aptitude test.

Archived