Tips for newbies at Autox

mzf

Not by design. This year, season pass holders end up getting a couple free events simply because more events have been added to the schedule since the passes were sold, but the main benefit to buying a season pass is convenience. It's nice not having to sign up for every event.

how much of the ASN rules do we use? seems like no one really talks about them but they are posted.:confused:

Corey has what we use. It's mostly for people that may travel to events that run ASN car classes. Other than that, they're not really worth talking about in my opinion. Seems like that's how their rules committee feels about them too.

• 1 year later...

At WSCC events you typically get 4 official timed runs, no practice runs. Sometimes we have fun runs after the event if there is enough interest.There is a lunch break but it's typically only 20 minutes. Not quite enough time to leave the site and get back in time. There is a hot-dog cart on site that's quite good.

about what time does it wrap up

That depends on how many competitors come out and how smoothly the day goes. So for this season official runs have been done before 4. If you stay for fun runs and clean up it may be later. If it's your first time out make sure to arrive as close to 10 as possible and be sure to attend the mandatory rookie meeting and course walk at 11. It's also strongly recommended that you read the sup regs http://forums.wscc.mb.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=268&d=1271362007Complete the registration and Self-tech formhttp://forums.wscc.mb.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=309&d=1276100250and make sure you know where you're going (map attached).

Cool. we should have that map in an easy to find spot on the website. Had a few guys ask how to get ther to watch. Just wondering about the time between races because I have a couple of kids who would like to see it but may get bored if they had to be there all day.

If it helps at all, I had created the map below a LONG time ago that highlights the finer points.If someone is spectating and/or would like to leave before the event is over they have to park near the end of the blue dotted line, along the gravel.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 6:08 PM, MRS Joe said:

http://www.beyondseattime.com/

Done by Vivek, a great guy from the Texas region who has created this informative site.  

Good read. 

Well , it's been two years since this topic was last updated.  I read through this thread and there is a lot of good information buried within but I think you can pretty much do one-stop-shopping by accessing the link Joe provided.

Beyond Seat Time has developed exponentially over the last two years. You will find everything you need to know and more.  I purchased "The Complete Autocrosser's Manual" and it is well worth the money.

If you prefer something a little more basic, I've attached a Word file I found on the Internet.  Hope this helps those who are getting their feet wet for the first time this season.

Autocross Defined.docx

That's great @Weebly , thanks for Posting. I'm looking at the illustration of a corner and driving line - all from the Birds Eye perspective. This brings up an interesting point; Driver perspective. I used to think i am just allergic to cones, when i went to an Auto-x (MAXA days, wpg stadium or St. Vital center) i would get blinded easily by orange - and no matter how many course walks i did, it was always a battle for me to see the line through the cones. All i saw was cones and hoped i'd get a late run so there was some rubber on the ground before my first run. my car was low to the ground and that changed my perspective - it didn't look that daunting when i was walking around but in the car was a different deal.

When i took my son to a hockey clinic, they spoke about the "Pucks Perspective", and as a shooter you may see an opening in the net, but at 5ft over and 6ft down, the puck sees a totally different opportunity. I kinda use this analogy with cones and the track walk. i think if i try AX this year, i will be taking my track walk with my view from the drivers seat on my mind as i look at the track.

Edited by mcorrie
  • Like 1