2007 SoloSprint School/Race Day

JT_TT

Are the road race folks involved in the Solo racing? The reason I ask is it would help to have access to the road race marshall gear and radios. Our radios will not cut it at Gimli. On top of our timing people we will need someone on the gate and I believe 4 marshall stations with required gear. I hope I am over this cold so I can attend to help with the marshalling. I missed this weekend.

All the road race equipment and workers will be there.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is exhaust noise an issue at Gimli like it is at auto-x?My "catback" section is causing a ton of knock because it's too restrictive and the parts i'm waiting for to finish a new exhaust off won't be here in time so i'd have to take the school with just a downpipe. Would this be allowed?

The noise will not be a problem. Most of the road race cars have no mufflers, and they don't even compare to the drag racers with open headers.

weekend details...Hi All,Jordan is stuck in Detroit with no email access (c'mon Detroit, get with the 90s) and has asked me to give a quick update on this coming weekend.Don't forget the classroom session on Thursday at 7pm. It is valuable and you have to be there unless you were at last weeks class.Start time on Saturday will be 9am and probably 10am on the Sunday. Dino will give more details at the class as well.Lunch - burgers and dogs, etc. - will be for sale on both days. Breakfast will be availbale on Sunday.Let me know if you have questions - most will be answered on Thursday at teh classroom as well.Jason

We are planning a 10am start / driver's meeting. This should give people time to prep vehicles, walk the track, etc. Also, breakfast will be available for those who get there early - egg sandwich, etc. from the food truck.

Solo Sprint will be running between the wheel to wheel racers so that there are full marshals on track and keeps the excitement for the people at the track. run groups will be between 4-6 and we're unsure exactly how we'll make it work, that's why we're trying it on on sunday.

Wow, what an awesome weekend! It's really cool watching students improving from run to run on Saturday, then the wild fun all day today.It was a real interesting time for me, my first time on the track in anything other than a Miata or Focus. By the end of the day I was hitting 119 mph on the front straight. :eek: :D :metal: Congrats to JT on your FTD! Nice work in a borrowed STi.

Damnit. I knew I should have went. I was planning on it, but decided not to after seeing the 60% chance of rain in the afternoon... The HPDE last weekend was miserable in the rain and I didn't want another day like that.Grrrrrrrrrrr stupid weather forecast, turned out to be a nice day.Next time, the FTD in the SoloSprint is mine.rekonize.

It was a great day. Everybody was happy and relaxed and there was some pretty good driving skills shown on the track. The Subies showed once again that they can haul the family during the week and haul A$$ on the weekend. I'm suprised the Camaro didn't dominate the laptimes, it looked faster than anything else today. The Porsche may have had some trouble at auto-x but I'm happy with it's performance on a road course. It showed it's age with the slow shifting and non-ABS brakes but was balanced in the turns and wickedly fast down the straights. My brakes didn't overheat, the tires hardly showed any wear plus I burned less than 1/4 tank of fuel the whole day. A big thanks to JT for organizing today, Al for showing me the race line, Dave for doing the timing and Corey, Art, Daryn and JT for not being so much faster than me that I have to hang my head in shame-lol

Cheers Mark, thanks for the awesome ride! I went through my tapes tonight and man did I leave some serious time on the track! It's much harder hitting those apexes in real life over Gran Turismo lol. I am bit by the track racing bug now, I can't even express the awesomeness that is this sport! I can't wait to see what lap times we are throwing down at the end of the year... I'm thinking 103's are totally makable ;) Thanks to all of the volunteers and instructors, you are all amazing people, and thanks to the other racers! It wouldn't have been a success if you all hadn't shown up to compete! See most of you next weekend, Daryn

That was serious fun!!! Way to go organizers. Thanks Corey for showing me some of HUGGRRR's capabilities that I've never explored. Next we'll do a little more sortin' and spendin' and hopefully move forward in the results. :D

I had the FTD with a 105.05 in Daryn's BSS STI. Corey had a time of 105.52 in Art's Orange Camaro.the results will be posted in the next 3 days but i've got so much stuff to deal with right now so that's kinda at the back of the list. everybody was able to see the results at the event.also there was a debate about top speeds and how 180+ was unobtainable to make corner 1...well the Camaro was just a hair short of 200, and the Sti was about 185-190. Only once did the Camaro not make corner 1 and that was due to axle hop well I was braking, no big deal.

Those best times were done on Street tires.225 RE070's for the STI275 Azenis for the Camaro. they tried older A0S05's later in the day and they were slower on the Autocross slicks because they couldn't get enough heat in the tires before they got starvation issues.

180 should be easy. i was hitting 185 or so in my white 240 when i was there years ago and that car was slow.JT, what happened to the TT?i can't wait til i have a track-worthy car to play with.

my car.....i don't wanna talk about it...

[bite tongue] gotta be nice [/bite tongue] :bigeek:.... on the bright side I did get to watch and listen to HUGGRRR for an extra session. :D

that was due to axle hop while I was braking

Did you hear we seem to have found a bit of a fix for that?

well that was done with the radar gun not speedo's. people's speedometers were showing higher speeds thats forsure.

Yeh, it seems that some speedos get really out of whack at high speeds. And I think there was discrepancy between the two radar guns because cars I was clocking at 180 km/h were suddenly 10 km/h faster when the other gun clocked them.

I found it really weird that the 315 Hoosiers were slower than the 275 Azenis. Before I went out I figured they'd have one amazing lap until they got too hot, then I'd cool them off and try again for the third lap. But they just stayed the same the whole time.How on earth Hoosiers can feel worse than Azenis is a mystery to me, it does say a lot about Azenis though! The car felt like it had a lot more understeer in turns 1 and 5, it took almost a 1/4 turn more steering input in turn 1 for me to maintain the same arc...GTech file on Azenis (my fastest at 1:05.5): http://i2.tinypic.com/4lphsoh.jpgGTech file on A3S05 (1:06-ish): http://i3.tinypic.com/6goapw0.jpgNeither one is pretty. It looks like I was able to sustain higher G's with Azenis but got higher peaks with the Hoosiers. Weird.P.S. If you get oversteer in turn 6, you're going to have a hard time slowing down for 8. Going off in Turn 8 isn't recommended. After looking at the overhead shot of the track, I should have turned right. That didn't even enter into my head at the time!

I think next time I'm bringing out the Azenis in 245 and we'll see if it makes a difference.... I don't think I'm really consistantly maxing out the car on the laps, so I have a feeling I'm going to end up about the same, but we'll see!

P.S. If you get oversteer in turn 6' date=' you're going to have a hard time slowing down for 8. Going off in Turn 8 isn't recommended. [/quote'] Like this. Posted Image

Archived