Targa!

STi_Sue

Although television coverage doesn't happen until some time next spring, the Targa Newfoundland is happening this week.Our good friend Tony K. from London ON has entered his 2002 WRX with his son Ryan as navigator, watch for car #921.They had a bit of an "off" the first day, but were able to continue. Some competitors have not been so lucky and the attrition rate is quite high. Here's an example:Posted ImageHere are some links if you are interested in following the event and/or Tony's progress...Newfoundland Motorsports Forum: http://www.newfoundlandmotorsports.com/main/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=2Rally scoring: http://www.rallyscoring.com/results/2005/Targa/index.htmTarga Newfoundland website: http://www.targanewfoundland.com/the SPDA forum, where Tony and his crew post updates, when they have time ;) : http://spda-online.ca/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1649&start=60Go Tony!Sue :)

Re: Targa!I'm happy to announce that Tony and his son Ryan finished the rally in one piece. They faced much adversity throughout the week, starting with the "off" and continuing with transmission and brake line problems. Thanks to their crew and their 'never give up' attitude, they were able to finish the event despite all of these hurdles. Their determination was recognized and acknowledged by the other competitors, who voted them the recipients of the "Spirit of Targa" award.Congratulations Tony! :grin:

• 4 weeks later...

Re: Targa!

I think that goes without saying' date=' but be realistic.   ::) :grin:[/quote']That is realistic. What's out of reach? You can prep a cheap car like an old BMW 3 series. Then entry fee is what $5000? Something like that. I don't see it as a stretch at all - as a matter of fact, competing in the Targa is on my list of things to do.

That is realistic. What's out of reach? You can prep a cheap car like an old BMW 3 series. Then entry fee is what $5000? Something like that. I don't see it as a stretch at all - as a matter of fact' date=' competing in the Targa is on my list of things to do.[/quote']You can't even keep a car running for autox so..... :grin:

That is realistic.  What's out of reach?  You can prep a cheap car like an old BMW 3 series.  Then entry fee is what $5000?  Something like that.  I don't see it as a stretch at all - as a matter of fact' date=' competing in the Targa is on my list of things to do.[/quote']With all the car prep expenses, travel, ferry, fuel, entry fees, accomodations etc., I think Tony would recommend a realistic budget for Targa to be in the range of $25,000.00.Better start saving now.  ;)Sue  :)

That is realistic.  What's out of reach?  You can prep a cheap car like an old BMW 3 series.  Then entry fee is what $5000?  Something like that.  I don't see it as a stretch at all - as a matter of fact' date=' competing in the Targa is on my list of things to do.[/quote']BMW this! BMW that! Kerry, haven't you noticed by now, it definitely is NOT the ultimate driving machine?

BMW this!  BMW that!  Kerry' date=' haven't you noticed by now, it definitely is NOT the ultimate driving machine?[/quote']lol - maybe the e36 chassis isn't the greatest platform unless it's modded or an M. But e30s are shitload of fun to drive.You guys all have problems with your cars too - I'm just more vocal about mine, jackass. :P

Re: Targa!Car prep$10,000 minimum, there is no way you can take an unprepared car and do it any cheaperdo not in any way shape or form go cheap on safety equipment. It saved our lives this year.The event$15000 is a very reasonable number$4200 entry fee if you enter prior to dec 31, after that it goes up $500 until mar 31 and then another $500$4500 for ferry, hotels for you and the crew (6 people)$1500 for food banquet tickets for you and the crew$3000 for Gas$1000 for incidentalsOh, and if you break anything.......$$$$$$$$$$$$Tony

Re: Targa!Do you really need a race prepped car? I thought they had "street/stock" classes as well. Couldn't you bring the budget down significantly if you were not going in a fully prepped car? I realize the driving part wouldn't be as exciting, but at least you could enjoy the entire event with the money you save.The first time I saw this on TV a few years ago I wanted to do this. Maybe one year I can go with one of the boys. Certainly don't know about the $25K though. Would definitely require some sort of sponsorship at that point.

Re: Targa!Yeah, I still have a lot of research to do, and this is still years away. But the plan is to lightly prep an older RWD car (likely a e30 BMW - maybe an RX-7, something I know well). Drive it down there and comepte in the race. Not looking to be really competitive, just enjoy the race.

• 5 weeks later...

One of my tentative life goals is to do the Dakar Rally.  I did a little research into that and figured in would cost a better part of a house to get me there.

I would suggest getting together a racing related resume and sending it to the teams that race the Dakar Rally. Even if you can't race the rally, you could be support crew and still get to see the whole thing from the inside. That's how I became a mechanic for a Porsche team in the 1999 12 hours of Sebring-I even got paid for it!

• 1 month later...

Re: Targa!I just wanted to bump this topic and post a reminder that this will be on tv soon...The 2005 Targa Canadian PremiereDate: Saturday January 28, 2006Time: 7pm EST (that's 6pm in Wpg)Channel: Global TV and NTVTony has assured me that he garnered some coverage, lol, a crash will do that. ;) Look closely at the rear quarter panels of his car and you'll see why we've shown so much interest in his progress. :grin:Sue :)

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Targa!oh man. Did any of you see this on Saturday? The coverage is awesome! We get to see a lot of Tony, lol. (will have to rethink logo placement for this year though ;) )I have a renewed respect for what they went through to finish this rally. We knew that it had been hard, but seeing the raw emotions on TV really brought it home. I can't say any more than I already have Tony. [smiley=bowdown.gif]For those of you that didn't catch it last weekend, it's on again this Saturday, don't miss it!!Sue :)

Archived