autocross school thread

Re: autocross school threadI'm going to be disappointed if I don't see my car driven at 100% :DI know I'm not getting anywhere close to what it's capable of, and I wanna see how to make it up!

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re: autocross school thread

Who will be teaching in the classroom and what will be covered?

I will be teaching the classroom session.From the first post in the "official" thread:"...will cover the theory of performance driving as well as how to prepare for autocross competition. There will be a question and answer session after the class."I can't say it much better that that. Basic theory of racing, mental theory, etc.

Top Notch instructors!Who will be teaching in the classroom and what will be covered?

I'm pretty sure your forum name will be one of the topics! :grin:I can vouch for the FWD instructors, it was the same 3 that were the FWD instructors last year and they were great. I remember Bill raving about Lawrence in particular. I think the full-course layout this year will make it even better than the mini-course layout used last year. I'm looking forward to getting instruction from a different set of instructors in a completely different car. :DCouple questions... Should we just be setting our tire pressures to factory specs for the school? Would anyone object to me taking pictures while I'm marshalling (I'll be doing my part and picking up cones as well)?

still tallying up what it cost me for the weekend...not cheap at allschool $250gas, 3x50 = $150possibly pads $80have to change over directional tires from one side to the other $45 for 2broken front lip $60forgot....brake fluid $20, for some good stuffthing is its probably still cheaper then getting a ticket on the highway for 140 or over. lot more fun too

here's from the guy with the broken lip, seems he still loved the HPDS on the weekend.edit: art took a picture of the damage, for those that are concerned about what actually happened to the car.Posted Image

Would anyone object to me taking pictures while I'm marshalling (I'll be doing my part and picking up cones as well)?

I don't see it being a problem as long as the priorites are kept in-line. Taking pictures while marshaling. Not marshaling while taking pictures. ;)

FWD and some AWDChris D. (350Z' date=' drove Nissan Spec V before)Jeremy S. (RSX)Lawrence B. (Miata, drove Civics before)[u']RWD and some AWDCorey D. (Miata)Eric H. (M3)Gord Z. (S2000)

A most excellent bunch of instructors, I wish I had signed up for class :(

If I don't end up getting Eric' date=' will there be a translator??   :grin:[/quote']For me too! [smiley=laugh.gif]Maybe I should make myself a MPH to KPH cheat sheet!

Don't worry' date=' we don't actually talk about km/hr or anything like that.[/quote']Guaranteed? In Gimli they told us to go "about 70" in the slalom and then gradually increase speed in subsequent runs. After flailing my way through the first run I thought "they want us to go faster??" .... then I realized they were talking kmh. :grin:

Guest djw

Guaranteed? In Gimli they told us to go "about 70" in the slalom and then gradually increase speed in subsequent runs. After flailing my way through the first run I thought "they want us to go faster??" .... then I realized they were talking kmh. :grin:

HAHAHAHAHAHA! The orange monster!

Guaranteed!If you have time to look at your speedometer in autocross' date=' you're likely not going nearly fast enough.  ;)[/quote']That's funny but SOOO true. I never have a chance to look at my speedo... things just happen way too fast. I even have HUD and can't look at that. The only way I can judge my speed is by knowing the speeds that correspond to engine RPM in the first 2 gears.

I will be teaching the classroom session.From the first post in the "official" thread:"...will cover the theory of performance driving as well as how to prepare for autocross competition. There will be a question and answer session after the class."I can't say it much better that that. Basic theory of racing' date=' mental theory, etc.[/quote']Corey, I know this is it in a nutshell, however I was hoping for a bit of a breakdown so I can judge whether it's suitable for someone with a few years experience or for someone who is new or both. I asked this question outright and never got a response so I tried another angle. 8)

Corey' date=' I know this is it in a nutshell, however I was hoping for a bit of a breakdown so I can judge whether it's suitable for someone with a few years experience or for someone who is new or both. I asked this question outright and never got a response so I tried another angle.  8) [/quote']Well, I took the school last year and I think the classroom section is somewhere in the middle. I think if you have been autocrossing for years most of the stuff Corey discusses will be old hat that you would have heard lots already. (But still good reminders!) It was the basics of autocross with tips and techniques thrown in. And yes, slip angle was discussed. LOLRemember I am just going off of last year -- this year Corey could be doing something totally different for all I know.But as Corey said, you get what you want out of the school. I know Jeremy (tatawaki) is an experienced autocrosser and he took the school 3 years in a row if I remember correctly and got something out of it each time.

Corey' date=' I know this is it in a nutshell, however I was hoping for a bit of a breakdown[/quote']Gotcha!-basics of autox-role of the driver-driver positioning-racing line (road race vs. autocross)-how tires work-getting the most out of your tires-car control (over/understeer and how to correct each)-looking/thinking ahead-coming up with a plan to go fast in 4 runsThat's a pretty quick summary of the 2 hour presentation. ;)

Re: autocross school threadPosted Imagethe cone is out on a date...we don't have to worry for a bit.anyways in all seriousness, is the course set up gonna be that morning? or after the class setting? also the approximatly 8 am on the saturday that is when the gates are open and we have time to change pressures and such correct?

Re: autocross school threadThe course will be set up that morning. I do not want students there for that though.Gates will open at 8 AM or a little before. If you want to swap tires or whatever, come earlier.The gate will be closed (but not locked) throughout the day to keep spectators out. We don't have the time or people to manage anyone other than the students.

The course will be set up that morning.  I do not want students there for that though.Gates will open at 8 AM or a little before.  If you want to swap tires or whatever' date=' come earlier.The gate will be closed (but not locked) throughout the day to keep spectators out.  We don't have the time or people to manage anyone other than the students.[/quote']Need any help by a non-student setting up or putting pylons back?

That's funny but SOOO true. I never have a chance to look at my speedo... things just happen way too fast. I even have HUD and can't look at that. The only way I can judge my speed is by knowing the speeds that correspond to engine RPM in the first 2 gears.

Ask sylvie what happened when she tried checking the speedo in the straight before the sweeper :) Corey ~ Id be more then willing to marshall if you guys think you need it. (fall back with mark)

So what time should students be there on Saturday (assume our tires are already swapped)? I believe I read somewhere that the hot dog guy was going to be around as well. Yes or no?
The course will be set up that morning.  I do not want students there for that though.Gates will open at 8 AM or a little before.  If you want to swap tires or whatever' date=' come earlier.[/quote']
The in-car session at the Red River Exhibition Park is from 8 AM to approx. 5 PM and will have both you and a skilled autocrosser taking turns riding and driving your car' date=' giving you a unique blend of hands-on experience and directly feeling what your car is capable of in the hands of an expert driver. There is an instructor-student ratio of 1:5, giving you a very personalized lesson. You will get two different instructors throughout the day, giving you different viewpoints, techniques, and strategies. A Hot Dog lunch (on May 20th) will be included with the entry fee of $110. [/quote']

Gates will open at 8 AM or a little before.  If you want to swap tires or whatever' date=' come earlier.[/quote']Do you know how early they will be open?  Unless it's raining, I plan on swaping tires, so I'll need some time.[edit]Maybe I should explain since the quote appears to answer my question. What I would like to know is how much earlier than 8 can I show up and expect to get in.[/edit]

Archived