May 30/31 autocross events

What an amazing start to our season! Great weather, great people, great competition, and great cars. Thanks to all that helped put these events together on short notice! 

Here's my best run from Saturday:
https://youtu.be/xugqZzUixvQ
Check out that slide through the chute at 0:43! 

Here's my best from Sunday:
https://youtu.be/LDY0Hh8k7qY

I'd love to see other's videos here too! See you back at St. Andrews airport on June 13 & 14! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Was so happy to be back for a 2020 season, few months ago wasn't even sure we could have one! Also happy to be back in the Neon, haven't driven her in anger since 2015, appreciated all the positive comments!

2020 also makes it 10 years since I first started autocrossing. Shout out to the rookie class of 2010, Chris T and Paul S who are still at it! (if I missed anyone else, jump in too!)

Saturday:

Sunday:

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Magner said:

Was so happy to be back for a 2020 season, few months ago wasn't even sure we could have one! Also happy to be back in the Neon, haven't driven her in anger since 2015, appreciated all the positive comments!

2020 also makes it 10 years since I first started autocrossing. Shout out to the rookie class of 2010, Chris T and Paul S who are still at it! (if I missed anyone else, jump in too!)

Kudos to you and Shawn for bringing along new drivers!   

Also thanks to all the novices who attended.  Great to see you!

Edited by Iceracer
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Magner said:

Also happy to be back in the Neon, haven't driven her in anger since 2015, appreciated all the positive comments!

Hi! :)

I told multiple people that the Neon is a seriously fun car. Most thought I was joking. I assured them I was not! 

• Haha 1

What a great event!  Thanks for pulling it together. 
Wonderful  to see a full grids both days. 
Much rust, but it was a ton of fun. Looking forward to the next event 
Poor camera angle but ...

My best run Sunday

Curtis’s best run, Sunday   

• Like 2

Paityn and I had an awesome time. I have been eagerly waiting years for when she would be old enough to co-drive with me as she only turned 16 this year and has been driving less than 6 months.

Everyone was supper friendly and encouraging which really helped with her nerves. I know that she is going to give me a run for my money as she gets more experience. We think her last run would have been her fastest if she hadn't upshifted to 3rd at the north hairpin. The car is an auto and we were in manual mode but on her last run I told her to not worry about manually upshifting to 2nd the car will do it itself. However she thought at the hairpin she was in 1st and went to upshift to 2nd and as she put her foot to the floor she says "WHY'S IT NOT GOING?!?!"

Myself I am so glad that I have the excuse of racing on all-season tires for why I am at the bottom of the timesheets. Damn I forgot how fast everyone is...and how poor my driving is.  LOL. Regardless it was a lot of fun sliding the car around which proves you don't need anything really special to put a huge smile on your face at autoslalom.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Shawn said:

Paityn and I had an awesome time. I have been eagerly waiting years for when she would be old enough to co-drive with me as she only turned 16 this year and has been driving less than 6 months.

Everyone was supper friendly and encouraging which really helped with her nerves. I know that she is going to give me a run for my money as she gets more experience. We think her last run would have been her fastest if she hadn't upshifted to 3rd at the north hairpin. The car is an auto and we were in manual mode but on her last run I told her to not worry about manually upshifting to 2nd the car will do it itself. However she thought at the hairpin she was in 1st and went to upshift to 2nd and as she put her foot to the floor she says "WHY'S IT NOT GOING?!?!

Racing with your kids is the best! Especially the comments they make and watching them learn. And yes, definitely, it is the people in this club that make it so great. 

And @Magner, that Neon is still the best rotating FWD car ever! So good to see it out again! Even better was the big smile Kaela had on as she left on Sunday! 

Huge thanks to @Corey for letting me drive the "Banana Hammock" Saturday and even bigger thanks for not posting my slow a## runs in a car I could barely squeeze out of, I have the bruises and scratches to prove it. Good thing I can lift heavy things as I discovered I am not a lightweight on Saturday...as if I didn't know before. Special thanks to Craig for letting me recover in a German sleeper with a barcalounger style drivers seat and air conditioning on Sunday! 

• Haha 1

BTW Chris Magne, I was hugely impressed with your driving and your car. I used to sell cars and the first car I sold was a DOHC Neon and they were always fun on test drives but I didn't know how good they could be until I saw yours scoot around the course.

On 6/2/2020 at 8:38 PM, justkickin said:

And @Magner, that Neon is still the best rotating FWD car ever! So good to see it out again! Even better was the big smile Kaela had on as she left on Sunday!

Thanks Tim, if it wasn't for this Covid stuff I'd be throwing keys around for others to enjoy it too.

13 hours ago, conebasher said:

BTW Chris Magne, I was hugely impressed with your driving and your car. I used to sell cars and the first car I sold was a DOHC Neon and they were always fun on test drives but I didn't know how good they could be until I saw yours scoot around the course.

Thanks I appreciate that! After not driving it for a few years it's apparent how low powered and unrefined it is compared to modern (FWD) cars but nothing modern compares to the responsiveness of inputs and eagerness to rotate.

Edited by Magner

17 minutes ago, conebasher said:

My comment is based on facts. I've been autoslaloming for 25 years with this club, was Secretary of the WSCC for years and as such heard discussions, saw the financials, took all the notes about who voted for what and what was discussed. Now we're down to one of the last places we're allowed to race and some drag racers came in and banned us from a large portion of the site we've been using for years, is this not a sign that we're taking a back seat to them?

Conebasher, can you elaborate?  Why banned from a large portion? Is there a reason drag racers can't have people doing Slalom on the same patch of asphalt?

Mark, I very much recall those previous tensions within WSCC between disciplines. They're not present today. 

8 hours ago, donrolandofurioso said:

Is there a reason drag racers can't have people doing Slalom on the same patch of asphalt?

Three things: 

1. Motion has spent a lot of time and money prepping the first 330' for optimal launch traction. 

2. That stuff is hilariously slippery if/when it gets wet. 

3. Respect. They asked us not to cross that first 330', so we didn't. 

I can't say I like it either, but it is the present situation. Not our land, not our rules.