Racing Games

grail

Considering everyone is probably practicing social distancing or self isolation, what racing games is everyone playing? I've mostly been playing F1 2019 and Dirt 2.0 lately. But I do jump into rFactor 2, Assetto Corsa, PCars 2, or Forza from time to time.

Even though GT Sport looks pretty, I hate how it's always rolling start from last place.  There's no battle, just passing all the slower moving cars.  A little bitter that I needed to buy an adapter to get my wheel to work on the PS4.

Loved Dirt Rally.  Really gets your heart pounding, knowing you could blow the last corner and lose an hour's worth of driving.

Waiting for the GOTY before I get Dirt Rally 2

Edited by Matter
wheel

Since it may be a while before I get behind the wheel on the track I have been looking at wheel/pedal combo. Did some googling and the Logi G920 looks good to me, anyone have any input on why it doesn't work well? 

Is there any point in getting the stick shift add-on? 

36 minutes ago, chkdsk said:

Since it may be a while before I get behind the wheel on the track I have been looking at wheel/pedal combo. Did some googling and the Logi G920 looks good to me, anyone have any input on why it doesn't work well? 

Hey Jordan,

I would suggest getting the G29 version instead. It works for both PC and PS4. Plus it has extra buttons and an RPM gauge. I wouldn't bother with the stick shifter. The logitech one isn't that great.

2 hours ago, chkdsk said:

Definitely get the G29 instead. Identical to the G920 except it's usually cheaper and has more features.

4 hours ago, chkdsk said:

I have an old tired G27, the G29 is its successor though it is quite comparable to the G27. The G29 is a basic wheel, for a similar price or just a bit more money apparently Thrustmaster has a better force feedback. While Logitech wheels have a reputation to last (mine is getting close to be 10 years old, I've used it a lot and it works as "good" as new), Logitech is not necessarily known to provide a good force feedback.

If I had to buy a new entry level wheel (like the G29 is) I would stay away from Logitech.

Edited by Jean-Sebastien Stoezel

I use a modded g27.  Ive updated the pedals, am suppling more voltage to the force feedback motors and added cooling to offset the heat from increased voltage.  Its good for a gear driven.  If i was to upgrade i’d probably skip belt driven and go with direct drive.  I wont upgrade until this thing dies which it shows no sign of.  This article is a pretty good breakdown of options:  http://simracingpaddock.com/sim-hw/2020-sim-racing-wheel-buyers-guide/

as poor as the h pattern that comes with the g27 is i cant imagine not having any. 

Edited by Need my Focusin

G27 and Assetto Corsa for me, also play Forza 7 on PC with an xbox controller.

Wouldn't buy a wheel without the stick shift even if it doesn't feel great. Still a lot more fun than slapping paddles.

I've got the g920 and it's been ok but is definitely an entry wheel. Force feedback is ok but nothing great and it tends to make a bit of a whining noise on left turns. Stick shift is kinda nice to have but most of what I'm racing lately is using paddles so depends on what cars your looking to drive.

Playing iracing mostly with some assetto Corsa. If anyone has a link to download the Gimli track would you be able to share it? I can't seem to find it anywhere. 

I forgot to mention how garbage the brake pedal is on the Logitech. You can upgrade to a load cell version, it will be better but it will cost a bit of money. I made this video explaining how one can convert a Logitech to load cell for $30, if you own a 3D printer (or have access to one). It works better than the factory Logitech potentiometer at little added cost.

1 hour ago, Willard9 said:

I've got the g920 and it's been ok but is definitely an entry wheel. Force feedback is ok but nothing great and it tends to make a bit of a whining noise on left turns. Stick shift is kinda nice to have but most of what I'm racing lately is using paddles so depends on what cars your looking to drive.

Playing iracing mostly with some assetto Corsa. If anyone has a link to download the Gimli track would you be able to share it? I can't seem to find it anywhere. 

Just posted the track in the general motorsports forum. Sorry for the delay.

That’s a very early version of Gimli that didn’t include a lot of scenery or features of the track. The final version is quite realistic, you can feel all the cracks, bumps and dips that used to be there up until the track got repaved. What I found most realistic was the dip in the braking zone in T3. There’s screenshots somewhere on these forums.

There's this shop in the city too: 

https://simracingpros.com/

They have a showroom with rigs with triple monitors, you could book time in the showroom, rent iRacing and potentially other simulations.They may still sell stuff online, but I would anticipate the showroom is now closed.

I have the G920 with shifter for Xbox and it works as well as my G27 did. Don't use the shifter much as it is not the best but it is good enough when you feel the urge to row gears .

I mostly play the Forza series on Xbox. Might get Asetto for Xbox as well. 

To illustrate and weight in on the survey that was sent out, I thought I would post a video comparison of both Assetto Corsa and rFactor.

If you load the link below you should be able to run a lap on both sims at the same time, and with an on board of Al Marcoux, which I found on YouTube. Left is rFactor, right is Assetto Corsa, center is Al. If the video does not start automatically, you may need to push the common play button under the videos. It appears this online tool is a bit of a hit an miss with video synchronization as one video may load quicker than others. Other than the position of the cars on track, one should be aware of the detail difference between the 2 models, and the track surface particularly, between Assetto Corsa and rFactor.

http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/5e8750f2c5faa-rfactor-assetto-corsa-al-marcoux-side-by-side-comp.php

And a link to each video individually: rFactor1 is on a 2000(?) Honda Civic Si - Assetto Corsa is TBD

• 3 weeks later...