2020 Rule Changes for RR?

chkdsk

I was just updating our team's reserved car numbers for 2020 via MSR and I had a flashback.

Last year we had the new WCMA rules come out, some of us noticed and some of us were too busy to pay attention, then we took a look, then a month or so later there was a rundown by some guys translating for us laymen (which i appreciated) then some discussion and then and then and then... 

And then we're on race weekend #2 and some cars were not legal weight and some racers were frustrated. During the big Pow-Wow we had at the track, I brought it up we should have dealt with this ahead of time rather than almost mid season. And right now, we are ahead of time.  

My point: 

1) When do the changes come out and are official? Not supp regs, the racing regs. 

2) Who is a smart guy in our group and can go through the changes and dumb it down for us IT computer people? The post on the forums for a general discussion? Last year Steve was my goto plus Darin helped me and also Coach's input and Don's discussion. 

3) Can we have a group call and go through the changes prior to the race season so that everyone is on the same page? That will save the speculation in the pits about who understands and who doesn't on race weekend #1. AND we all show up as legal as possible.

4) I would like to add to #1 Race Weekend that a full tech happen and not safety, I mean weight and also go through the racer's spreadsheet and physically confirm penalty points. E.g. did you declare your coil-overs, did you declare your Cold Air Intake.  You can do safety too, my point is on the racing rules. 

Thanks. 

• Thanks 1

https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/document/document/20304/ST5-6_Rules_2020--v3.1--11-20-19.pdf

Here's the rulebook for ST5/6, looks like WCMA is just using NASA again so it should be fairly simple.

They also have a calculator here- https://form.jotform.com/drivenasa/st-tt-car-classification-form for your power to weight.

Here's NASA's Dyno Certification Form (WCMAs doesn't have the formula for Avg HP)- https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/document/document/12967/NASA_ST-PT-TT_Dyno_Certification__Form--1-5-18.pdf

And here's the tire size templates - https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/document/document/12756/NASA_Tire_Tool_Template_-_2017_REV1_.pdf  

We should consider starting a thread for dyno sheets and weights as the balancing is based almost exclusively on those two factors and therefore how much power you make cannot be a secret. 

According to the calculator an EF civic with BTM Aero, greater than 100 UTQG Treadwear tires, and a Min Weight of 2290lbs can have a max avg HP of 127 in ST6.

Edited by Keen12a
  • Like 1

On 1/17/2020 at 3:43 PM, Keen12a said:

https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/document/document/20304/ST5-6_Rules_2020--v3.1--11-20-19.pdf

Here's the rulebook for ST5/6, looks like WCMA is just using NASA again so it should be fairly simple.

Excellent info, thank you. Can we assume this is now WCMA or do we wait for the rubber stamp? 

I like the idea of the Dyno sheets and I started posting those last year. 

On 1/19/2020 at 1:06 PM, chkdsk said:

Excellent info, thank you. Can we assume this is now WCMA or do we wait for the rubber stamp? 

I like the idea of the Dyno sheets and I started posting those last year. 

That is my understanding, WCMA hasn't hinted at any big changes for this year, and there is only a few small changes from last years rulebook from NASA. So I am fairly certain it's safe to use it for now.

On 1/20/2020 at 1:12 PM, Keen12a said:

That is my understanding, WCMA hasn't hinted at any big changes for this year, and there is only a few small changes from last years rulebook from NASA. So I am fairly certain it's safe to use it for now.

Thank you for this. Does anyone have an idea of what the major changes are that we need to discuss? It would be nice if it was just minor minimum weight calculations and tire specs although past history has shown there are always other items that we miss. 

Would be nice for a Coles Notes on the changes from last year. 

Here we go, no changes from WCMA. NASA rules are the correct ones

My name is Jared Keen, I race with the WSCC in Gimli and I was wondering if there is going to be any changes regarding classes and safety regs for this years ST classes. From my understanding WCMA is using the NASA rulebook, and will simply adopt the changes that NASA has made for the 2020 season but I would just like to clarify that before committing to any changes to my car. 

Thanks for your time,
Jared Keen"

Yes, we use the exact ST classing rules from NASA for our racing. Any class changes from NASA for 2020 will be integrated with our rules.

Regards,
Doug Campbell
WCMA Classing"

12 hours ago, Keen12a said:

Here we go, no changes from WCMA. NASA rules are the correct ones

My name is Jared Keen, I race with the WSCC in Gimli and I was wondering if there is going to be any changes regarding classes and safety regs for this years ST classes. From my understanding WCMA is using the NASA rulebook, and will simply adopt the changes that NASA has made for the 2020 season but I would just like to clarify that before committing to any changes to my car. 

Thanks for your time,
Jared Keen"

Yes, we use the exact ST classing rules from NASA for our racing. Any class changes from NASA for 2020 will be integrated with our rules.

Regards,
Doug Campbell
WCMA Classing"

Thank you Jared for the big confirmation. 

Next step; who has gone through the rules to note the changes from YOY?