Sign in to follow this  
Brian_Earl_Spilner

C8 mid-engined Corvette... finally released.

So they finally released the details on it...

https://driving.ca/chevrolet/corvette/features/feature-story/motor-mouth-mid-engine-corvette-c8-stingray

0-60mph in under 3 seconds, mid-engined V8 for less than $70,000 CDN? Why would anybody bother with Boxsters and Caymans now, when this thing has Lambo Huracan performance? This thing will be a game-changer.

I can totally see dealerships having huge wait-lists and massive dealer markups on price. But still, that price-vs-performance point is ridiculous compared to any of the competition.

Hagarty just said the same. 

I’m totally thinking it’s a game changer  why would I pay 70k for a Supra when for the same money I can be in super car territory. Also I believe the gm lt2 to probably more reliable then a bmw turbo drivetrain  

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/07/19/2020-mid-engine-corvette-c8-supercar-debut?utm_source=SFMC&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Daily_News_Friday_July_19#

I love it! Not so hot on the square-round steering wheel, or the thought of tire prices... 

Some people are really hating it.  

I hope this thing is a huge seller. Like, practically flooding the market. Then, I'll get a nice used one for used GM prices in 5-10 years. Most of them will get idled around with the occasional blast of power. That kind of performance scares most people.  

• Like 2

X2 on buying one used in 10ish years if they hold up. Here's hoping they depreciate like the C5 did. 

I want to see a z51 or z06 C8 vs GT3 comparison done. 

Sorry about your evening.  Playlist of Corvette academy videos:

You, Sir, owe me an evening!

Even as a non-Chevy fan, I have to admit that this is an extremely nice car...although some of the features hyped up are not new by any means.

I definitely love the price, and I definitely hate that they eliminated the manual transmission option (old school here!)

I am starting to get used to electric park brakes (formerly known as emergency brakes when they still worked as such). But that steering wheel brings back bad memories...now more fancy, but still weird:

image.png.0eb1997d02e1b9bb0ac60ce34d449b79.png

• Haha 1

Yes! This thing looks amazing. Can't wait for them to become commonplace and I'm sure we'll see a few at the track.

Tim this will make a very nice birthday present for the upcoming big one. (Hint hint to Ang)

Echo the thoughts of 5-y/o depreciated cars becoming affordable. Here's another thought - what does this do to C7 used market? I don't really know what a brand new C7 cost ... similar ~70k CAD? From what I've heard that is a very nice sports car as well, one that could plummet in value soon.

• Like 1

This car is the first car in a long time that makes me seriously consider selling the C5Z to finance a new car. I am in a crisis....and not the midlife kind. Corey, for the record you are a bad friend for posting this...lol....you owe me more than an evening for posting this! Oh poo-poo I need a C8! 

As for C7s, they will drop. Sales have stalled badly waiting for the C8. Yet my C5Z appreciates! Which bodes well for the C8. 

• Haha 1

On 7/19/2019 at 3:50 PM, Corey said:

Then, I'll get a nice used one for used GM prices in 5-10 years.

On 7/19/2019 at 4:23 PM, Magner said:

X2 on buying one used in 10ish years if they hold up.

Haha I'm not so sure about that, boys... In 5 or 10 years time, that puts us near 2030. By then, I bet driving fossil fuel-powered cars will be prohibitively expensive because governments will continue to shove electric cars down our throats.

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 3:50 PM, Corey said:

I hope this thing is a huge seller. Like, practically flooding the market. 

Isn't that like every model year?  :P

The C8 is going to be a wicked car for sure. But I'd almost bet the farm that nobody will get their hands on a new one for 70K.

When I go to Chevy Canada right now and choose 2019 Corvette Grand sport it gives me a $76,895 MSRP before adding any options. You can easily upgrade to $90k plus if you add in performance packages and different wheel sets. So the new mid-engine is going to be cheaper? That's a tough pill to swallow. We shall see.

The exterior looks great, like a Ferrari crossed with a Ford GT, but the interior is the typical sore spot.  It appears the driver is walled off from the passenger by a bulkhead containing a row of 25 buttons and the steering wheel is aesthetically dreadful.

There will certainly be a lot of complaints about the lack of a manual transmission, but the reality is many modern performance cars are just too fast for manual transmissions. If the car can do 0-60 mph sub 3 seconds, 1st gear is probably over in 1-1.5 seconds.

I loved the auto trans in the C7 Z06 for the two laps at an autocross school.  I couldn't shift that fast, and it felt like it was wired into my brain stem.  It was always in the right gear.  Granted, it only used 2, 3, 4 once I got off the line, but it downshifted under braking and kept that tire-shredding power available at any moment I wanted.  Stunning.  

Other cars were going between 90 and 110 kph through the finish on that course.  The C7 was ~140 kph.  Woah.  

I don't think there is any debate anymore on which is the superior transmission. On paper, DCTs absolutely destroy traditional manuals. As a track weapon, there is no comparison. But on the street, there is still that fun factor of rowing your own gears that DCTs will never have. Every time I bought a DCT car, I went back to a manual. Performance numbers mean a lot less on the street... there, the overall driving experience becomes more important. Given that I drive much more often on a street than on a track, I would greatly prefer a manual and wouldn't buy a C8 unless that was offered. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this way, however, the number of people who know how to drive a manual is shrinking...

Edited by nishanna