Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jim Eh.

Anyone know of a good deal on A/C

Recommended Posts

House unit just pulled a pitstop. Looking for a 1.5T replacement.

Why don't these things ever happen in winter?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jim Eh. said:

House unit just pulled a pitstop. Looking for a 1.5T replacement.

Why don't these things ever happen in winter?

Do you have a specific brand in mind? Call Colin's Mechanical (204-231-0121) tomorrow and speak with Patrick F, Ken or Bill to get a quote on a new unit or to set up a service call.  It would either be myself, or Glen doing the install/call.

When you call have the model/serial of the condensing unit ready, SQ/ft of the house helps to make sure it was sized correctly as well.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I installed my 1.5T unit 25+ years ago and has worked great. It is just too tired to keep up now, I bypassed the thermal limit switch on the condenser unit a while back. It's just time for a replacement. I have a supply of 22 still available to me but it is the rest of the unit that is past it's prime. The evaporator coil is so old the fins have a light coating of corrosion and ice up on really hot days. Even the galvanized headers on the A coil have a coating of rust.

Nowadays, with 410, I know a 2T unit is recommended. 

At my age, even a Chinese off brand would last me .... ;)

BTW, I am just looking for the unit. Install is covered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Jim Eh. said:

I installed my 1.5T unit 25+ years ago and has worked great. It is just too tired to keep up now, I bypassed the thermal limit switch on the condenser unit a while back. It's just time for a replacement. I have a supply of 22 still available to me but it is the rest of the unit that is past it's prime. The evaporator coil is so old the fins have a light coating of corrosion and ice up on really hot days. Even the galvanized headers on the A coil have a coating of rust.

Nowadays, with 410, I know a 2T unit is recommended. 

At my age, even a Chinese off brand would last me .... ;)

BTW, I am just looking for the unit. Install is covered.

Sounds like its time for a replacment. Did you bypass the HPCO or the ambient sensor? RSL usually has a bunch of "scratch and dent" units that are a fair price if looks dont matter too much. As for brand wise, goodman gets a bad rap but as long as the install is done correctly and as long as the unit is sized correctly you shouldn't have any problems. That and they are usually the cheapest. depending on sizes, efficiency, ect. 

I don't think you can buy them OTC anymore, so whoever is installing it would probably have to purchase it. 

 

Just remember to safely recover the 22 and drain and recycle the compressor oil before scrapping the unit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RSL?

The over valued SEER rating is not that much of a concern to me as it is relatively little used appliance that a 10% - 20% cost savings will amount to greater value than energy efficiency for me.

I didn't think you could ever buy a central unit OTC?

LOL. Recover and recycle ... ? Do you sit on the MOPIA board? J/K

I deal with all kinds of hazerdous materials and their proper handling thru work. I never was a believer in venting to atmosphere. Although a single run of the afterburner of an F18 dumped more CFC into the atmosphere than I care to imagine, it does not need to be added to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jim Eh. said:

RSL?

The over valued SEER rating is not that much of a concern to me as it is relatively little used appliance that a 10% - 20% cost savings will amount to greater value than energy efficiency for me.

I didn't think you could ever buy a central unit OTC?

LOL. Recover and recycle ... ? Do you sit on the MOPIA board? J/K

I deal with all kinds of hazerdous materials and their proper handling thru work. I never was a believer in venting to atmosphere. Although a single run of the afterburner of an F18 dumped more CFC into the atmosphere than I care to imagine, it does not need to be added to.

Refrigerative Supply limited, corner of erin and sargent.

In our province getting a high SEER rating doesn't matter all too much because of the overall little use that we have for it in a 12 month period (specifically for residential use).

Not a board member no, Just trying to help look out for the environment. Doesn't matter what refrigerant you run or in what system, end of the day its all bad - Granted, there are much worse things out there.

Personally we should have never "advanced" into using any refrigerants besides R744, R717 or R600. (C02, Ammonia, isobutane) with R744 and R717 being our "Natural Refrigerants" with the lowest possible GWP. Sadly, people are afraid of 2 of those and only recently in north america have we implemented R600 into household use (Chest freezers, some water cooler, ect.) even though its been used for Europe for years.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, burn or choke. 

I think there is some justification that people have some fears. As with soooo many other "wonders" or the modern world, there are penalties for "progress". 

BTW, I did find a system. Now just the week long (at my lightning speed) to install ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...