Sign in to follow this  
justkickin

Do you need HPDE?

So, just did a track day and was surprised how well my tires survived. I did not do the HPDE this year, nor in the last 2 but have turned a few laps at Gimli and have done the HPDE in the past. Question is, do/can I qualify for time attack laps this summer or no? If not, no worries. If so, great, see you after the June weekend (I am out of town) as long as it does not conflict with autox. 

For those that are still worried about tire wear on the Gimli track...stop worrying!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/1/2019 at 7:33 PM, justkickin said:

So, just did a track day and was surprised how well my tires survived. I did not do the HPDE this year, nor in the last 2 but have turned a few laps at Gimli and have done the HPDE in the past. Question is, do/can I qualify for time attack laps this summer or no? If not, no worries. If so, great, see you after the June weekend (I am out of town) as long as it does not conflict with autox. 

For those that are still worried about tire wear on the Gimli track...stop worrying!

Tim, your car weighs 3100 lbs. Tire wear will be quite a bit less for you than most, regardless of the track surface. Having said that, I understand that Gimli has quite a few newly paved sections now so that should help with tire wear significantly!

Edited by nishanna

15 hours ago, nishanna said:

Tim, your car weighs 3100 lbs. Tire wear will be quite a bit less for you than most, regardless of the track surface. Having said that, I understand that Gimli has quite a few newly paved sections now so that should help with tire wear significantly!

I get that Nish, but with the old surface I could count on rendering my front right useless for autox in about 20 laps and the rear not long after that. Considering I am more concerned with autox than lapping the cost/benefit for lapping was not favorable; now it is. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, justkickin said:

I get that Nish, but with the old surface I could count on rendering my front right useless for autox in about 20 laps and the rear not long after that. Considering I am more concerned with autox than lapping the cost/benefit for lapping was not favorable; now it is. 

Thank you @justkickin for the positive words. 

Same goes for me, even though I've got a heavier car and am not as skilled a driver..  I decided to cut back the number of events for 2019 due to excessive tire wear experienced  last year, but now I'm reconsidering.

The positive effect on tire wear resulting from resurfacing the Gimli track cannot be overstated.  I've run on the new track surface 3 times so far, and I'm impressed with how little tire wear has occurred compared to the five events I ran in 2018.  Heck,  I might just add a few Friday lapping events to my schedule for 2019.

Anyone who is not coming out to Gimli because of tire wear issues should give it another shot and see for themselves the improvement in the track surface.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2