Hi folks,

I'm a novice doing slalom.  I recently installed "Sprint Booster" on my 2006 Solstice 2.4L N/A.  I know it's not more power or torque but I've really noticed how much quicker the RPM's come up and it's nearly eliminated any "bogging" on acceleration.  I'm looking forward to trying it out on the slalom course this Sunday.  Anyone else using it and have a comment?

https://www.sprintboostercanada.com 

Edited by Ron Janzen

When I worked at a speed shop years ago, I put one in my '09 Ralliart. It's a very "grey area" type of mod, it doesn't do anything that makes more power, and it doesn't technically make the car any faster on paper. I was on the fence about it at first, so I used my own car (that I already knew well) to try it out. I thought it was great! I don't fully understand the electronic witchcraft involved, but it basically boosts the input from the accelerator to the computer or something along those lines. I only ever used the red "race" setting, and the car felt like a totally different, wicked animal after install. 

I would put one in my other cars today without a second thought, if it was available for them. Instead, I get to buy a $2K Stage 2 Race PCM, yay me.

Have fun!

Dason

• 2 weeks later...

My car has a feature like this built in and while I agree that the car feels quicker, I set it so that this feature is disabled. I have my car using the setting that gives the most linear response (which is not linear at all) but I find that it is much better for autoslalom where I don't want abrupt changes in power delivery. What I do which was that I could get rid of the lag like the guy talks about in the video but still leave the throttle so that when I press 25% I get 25% not 85%.

Not sure if this will clarify things or just make them more confusing......

The images below are snips of the three possible "throttle maps" from the manual of a car I am working with this year. It is easy to visually spot the difference between the "smooth" and "linear" maps as the shape of the map changes from an "exponential" curve to a linear line respectively. The "linear" and "aggressive" maps appear to be identical, but the throttle pedal position at which WOT is applied is reduced by 15% for the aggressive map.

Smooth.PNG.7db34073d25b058912f4be7a9f4a3375.PNGLinear.PNG.368a36ee372293938c1527bc3f560ad0.PNGAggressive.PNG.217608df898b76acaea6d26aad82f478.PNG

As @Rare Snake mentioned above, the Sprint Booster "boosts" the signal from the sensor, effectively changing the offset of the sensor calibration table. I do not have a calibration table handy for a throttle pedal, so the picture below is for a steering angle sensor but can still be used to illustrate the point. The blue line is the baseline calibration while the red line is the calibration that the Sprint Booster would change it to. The greater the positive offset is from the original calibration, the sooner the engine will reach WOT in the throttle pedal range, making the engine feel sportier since it is being artificially rev'd faster. From what I can tell, the higher the number of the controller setting, the greater the offset .

569359320_SteeringCalibration.PNG.be7c1776c2fc60c32c383fa9d283602a.PNG

Two thoughts;  Wouldn’t your muscle memory just learn that 85% down gives you 100% and just leave you with essentially a shorter pedal.  Since the pedal itself is less sensitive wouldn't it be harder to “finesse”  the pedal and get precisely the amount of throttle you need for a given situation. 

Edited by Need my Focusin

On 6/10/2019 at 2:09 PM, Shawn said:

My car has a feature like this built in and while I agree that the car feels quicker, I set it so that this feature is disabled. I have my car using the setting that gives the most linear response (which is not linear at all) but I find that it is much better for autoslalom where I don't want abrupt changes in power delivery. What I do which was that I could get rid of the lag like the guy talks about in the video but still leave the throttle so that when I press 25% I get 25% not 85%.

I hated the throttle response in my old WRX. It seemed to be 100% in the first 60% with NO parameter adjustment built in.

If only there were some kind of lever that you could use adjust throttle opening in real time while you're driving...  Maybe some kind of linkage and a pedal just to the right of the brake...  ;)

I HATE the 'Sports Throttle' feature in some BMWs.  Yay, 80% throttle opening at 30% pedal movement.  Only want 30% throttle to keep tires from spinning while exiting a corner?  Sorry, you can't do that.  

Now, if the throttle can become a device to request a given torque level in a car with a big laggy turbo?  Sign me up!  No more mashing it early and then lifting off as boost builds!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/14/2019 at 1:31 PM, Brian_Earl_Spilner said:

Spring booster = huge increase in fuel consumption (allegedly).

I don't have one myself, but from everything I've read (for BMWs at least), you eat fuel like crazy since the car is constantly revving so high, from the illusion of it being faster under your right foot.

Hasn't been my experience.  Gas mileage is not noticeably different on my Solstice.

On 6/13/2019 at 9:18 PM, Need my Focusin said:

Two thoughts;  Wouldn’t your muscle memory just learn that 85% down gives you 100% and just leave you with essentially a shorter pedal.  Since the pedal itself is less sensitive wouldn't it be harder to “finesse”  the pedal and get precisely the amount of throttle you need for a given situation. 

I think the first point is probably true, but if you tend to be to low on the RPM's (like I am) it seems to help.  The second point doesn't seem to be a problem.  Although I'm such a rookie maybe I've got a lot to learn about finesse. :) .