Roll protection for roadster

Ron Janzen

Hi,

I'm a new WSCC member and just planning to autoslalom this year.  I have a '06 Pontiac Solstice.  In the future, I know I can't do any track events unless I have roll protection.  I'm kind of adverse to adding a roll cage because it's a daily driver and I do some touring, etc.  I'm wondering if there any any after market hardtops that would allow me to do time attack?  For example, this company has a hardtop with a 'club racer' version.  Would that meet regulation requirements for time attack?

https://www.smoothline.com/solstice-removable-hardp 

Hi Ron - Welcome!

As far as your question regarding roll over protection, a roll bar is your only option, there are no recommended substitutes in the rule book.

Time Attack Rule book 2019 https://time-attack.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/DRAFT-2019-OTA-Rulebook-144dpi.pdf

1.3 ROLL OVER PROTECTION – ROLL BARS AND CAGES .1 A roll bar’s purpose is to help protect a driver if the vehicle rolls over. A roll bar is required for: i) vehicles with fold down or completely removable tops (e.g., convertibles)

That being said, a non-intrusive roll bar is not out of the question. A 4 or 6 point bar is all you would need and that shouldn't have an impact on the cars intended purpose off the track - similar to the Hard Dog Miata bars. I'd refer you to the Chief Scrutineer or Head of the Tech committee but I'm afraid i don't know who that is at the moment.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mcorrie said:

A roll bar is required for: i) vehicles with fold down or completely removable tops (e.g., convertibles)

@Ron Janzen This more or less sums up the answer for your question.

It needs to be an OEM hard-top car. Since the solstice was never offered one, you will need supplemental roll protection.

Edited by nopistons
  • Like 1