Sign in to follow this  
David Klassen

Advice re: car Numbers?

Is it worth getting the magnetic sign car numbers, like from https://www.trackdecals.com/? Are people able to retain a car number from event to event or season to season? The event registration system lets you enter three choices, 1st, 2nd, & 3rd. I guess one could always use painters tape for the events when you don’t get your desired number?

The requirements listed in this forum don’t mention car numbering, but it is stated on the event registration system.

Hey David

I expect most will just use painters tape.

Post your desired number here.

Posted (edited)

Magnetic decals are fine but if a corner lifts due to dirt, and it happens to be on the windward edge, they fly off.
Same goes if they are wet and moisture gets in behind. they don't like to stick.

I suggest using a something a little more substantial than painters tape, and place it on the glass. Any residue can be easily cleaned up with glass cleaner or brake clean.

Painters tape and other derivatives of masking tape tend to be as reliable as the magnetic decals. If applied to a dry, clean surface, it will last. 

I gave up on applying and re-applying tape, and just went for regular vinyl (from the website you listed) and slapped it on the door.

Edited by nopistons

I always thought window cling numbers in reverse would be the cat's meow so they would not be affected by rain or high velocity wind. Only downside would be you have to keep the inside of your windows clean .... (worst job ever);)

I agree with Darin's comments.

I use the magnetic base, vinyl numbers from Trackdecals.com and they work for Autoslalom but not at the speeds on the Gimli track.  I simply apply a strip of colour matching tape to the leading (windward) edge for the Gimli events.

For some strange reason these magnetic numbers don't work well on Corvettes.

Once you invest in a set of numbers, you can use them year after year at both Autoslalom, Time Attack, and Open Lapping.  Just don't wait too long to register your number.

11 hours ago, Mat said:

Hey David

I expect most will just use painters tape.

Post your desired number here.

Hey Mat,

I remember last year during Time Attack that we couldn't place numbers on the window glass. The regulations for Autoslalom also give specific dimensions and state to place the number on the front door.

I checked ASN Canada FIA regulations for Lapping regulations and there are no number placement requirements that I could find.  So, I guess this will become part of our Open Lapping Supplementary Regulations.  Personally, I think it's a good idea to identify cars with a number for Open Lapping.  Not much value in a corner worker saying ... "white car with four black wheels off track on corner 4".

On a side note, I stumbled across Lapping Bulletin 2018-01 which changes the definition of the Red Flag.  See Section 10 Flag Signals. Quite significant change in my opinion.

On 4/6/2019 at 12:25 PM, JohnnyV said:

I ordered my numbers for the race car from a place in Winnipeg with competitive / cheaper pricing: https://www.bomexgraphics.com/. I'm not sure if he offers magnetic backing.

Do you tape your bomex numbers on? Or do they cling?

Bomex did my numbers as well - and some other stuff, good products from them. I use adhesive backed vinyl, i'd be leary of static panels - i've had a couple before and they don't stay on.  Magnetic panels can work but typically you're going to have to tape down the leading edge at minimum...then you're going to have be ultra careful with them because they scratch paint. taping them down minimize the paint scratching but does not eliminate it.

2 hours ago, mcorrie said:

Bomex did my numbers as well - and some other stuff, good products from them. I use adhesive backed vinyl, i'd be leary of static panels - i've had a couple before and they don't stay on.  Magnetic panels can work but typically you're going to have to tape down the leading edge at minimum...then you're going to have be ultra careful with them because they scratch paint. taping them down minimize the paint scratching but does not eliminate it.

Thank you for the info. Is the adhesive backed vinyl single use?