Sunday, August 11 - Event #10 at St. Andrews
Saturday, August 24 - Event #11 at St. Andrews
Sunday, August 25 - Event #12 at St. Andrews
Saturday, September 21 - Event #13 at Gimli
Sunday, September 22 - Event #14 at Gimli
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Why would autocross be delayed or cancelled because of COVID? It's outdoors and no one is required to come close to each other. Not to mention that MB's "outbreak" is currently on life support with something like 30 active cases in the entire province. If people can go golfing, they can go autocrossing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Contrarian said:

Why would autocross be delayed or cancelled because of COVID? It's outdoors and no one is required to come close to each other. Not to mention that MB's "outbreak" is currently on life support with something like 30 active cases in the entire province. If people can go golfing, they can go autocrossing.

@The  Contrarian I hear what you’re saying and I totally understand your frustration. But, now please let me become the Contrarian on this issue.

First of all, our Club is bound by federal and provincial health regulations and must abide by Phase One restrictions, beginning May 4th, and Phase Two restrictions, beginning no earlier than June 1st. Phase One limits social and sports gatherings to a maximum of 10 people. From what I understand the restrictions apply to all venues, regardless of the venue size.

I know the WSCC considers the safety and well-being of its members as it’s first priority and I’m thankful for that. If I have to miss a few events in order to minimize the spread of COVID-19, then that’s what I need to do whether I want to or not. And no matter how tiring it gets when they say … “we’re all in this together”, it’s true.

I thought about your comment about Auto-crossing being no different than golfing and we should be allowed to hold our events. I’m going to offer a worse-case scenario that could actually happen during an Autoslalom event:

• Let's say one of our club members is Asymptomatic, feels no symptoms, but is shedding the virus. We’ll call him person “A”.
  • Person “A” arrives and registers using the common pen and signs the registration waiver. The virus is now on the pen, the form, and the table.
  • Person “A” unloads his vehicle and asks to borrow a tire gauge from his pit stall neighbour. Upon return of the tire gauge, the neighbour checks his tires with the infected gauge.
  • Person “A” is gregarious and can’t help walking up and down the grid chatting with people face-to face.
  • Person “A” is very accommodating and welcomes “ride-a-longs” during his runs.
  • During his work stint, person “A” resets several cones with ungloved hands.
  • During the lunch break, person “A” offers another member, who forgot his lunch, an apple and a bottle of water. Unwittingly, the other member says … “thanks so much for offering!”  Yeah, right.
  • Being the helpful, caring person, he is, person “A” offers to cleanup and put things away at the end of the event. Now he’s touched equipment that will be handled by others.
  • Everyone who’s been “touched” by person “A” returns home to their families and then to work on Monday.
  • Meanwhile, person “A”, is unaware of the potential harm he may have caused.

On the flip-side, just about everything listed above could be prevented by implementing safety procedures and Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) on site and posting educational information prior to the event.

I work for a company that is committed to the safety of their employees. They have bombarded us with daily COVID-19 updates and safety protocols. So much so, that some employees are saying … “this is overkill; Manitoba has one of the lowest infection rates, why can’t we go back to normal?”  I think the answer, very simply, is that we can’t take the chance. Better to err on the side of safety, especially when we’re hearing about the “second wave” and countries like the U.S. having a death rate higher than the Vietnam war.

I’m the last person that wants to give up a single event, but under these extraordinary circumstances, I feel it’s in my best interest and those around me to comply with the Phase One restrictions that limits public gatherings to 10 or fewer people. I’m also crossing my fingers that Phase Two restrictions, which will be affected by Phase One results, will allow for expanded gatherings. Otherwise, it’s wait for Phase Three in September before restrictions are lifted.

I’m certainly no expert on this issue and have gathered all my information from our workplace COVID-19 health safety protocols and the Manitoba government website:

https://www.gov.mb.ca/covid19/restoring/approach.html

I know the WSCC Executive is monitoring the current situation and will inform the general membership as soon as the status of our 2020 season is known.

I hope to see you all at the track sooner than later.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Weebly said:

@The  Contrarian I hear what you’re saying and I totally understand your frustration. But, now please let me become the Contrarian on this issue.

First of all, our Club is bound by federal and provincial health regulations and must abide by Phase One restrictions, beginning May 4th, and Phase Two restrictions, beginning no earlier than June 1st. Phase One limits social and sports gatherings to a maximum of 10 people. From what I understand the restrictions apply to all venues, regardless of the venue size.

I know the WSCC considers the safety and well-being of its members as it’s first priority and I’m thankful for that. If I have to miss a few events in order to minimize the spread of COVID-19, then that’s what I need to do whether I want to or not. And no matter how tiring it gets when they say … “we’re all in this together”, it’s true.

I thought about your comment about Auto-crossing being no different than golfing and we should be allowed to hold our events. I’m going to offer a worse-case scenario that could actually happen during an Autoslalom event:

• Let's say one of our club members is Asymptomatic, feels no symptoms, but is shedding the virus. We’ll call him person “A”.
  • Person “A” arrives and registers using the common pen and signs the registration waiver. The virus is now on the pen, the form, and the table.
  • Person “A” unloads his vehicle and asks to borrow a tire gauge from his pit stall neighbour. Upon return of the tire gauge, the neighbour checks his tires with the infected gauge.
  • Person “A” is gregarious and can’t help walking up and down the grid chatting with people face-to face.
  • During the lunch break, person “A” offers another member, who forgot his lunch, an apple and a bottle of water. Unwittingly, the other member says … “thanks so much for offering!”  Yeah, right.
  • Being the helpful, caring person, he is, person “A” offers to cleanup and put things away at the end of the event. Now he’s touched equipment that will be handled by others.
  • Everyone who’s been “touched” by person “A” returns home to their families and then to work on Monday.

On the flip-side, just about everything listed above could be prevented by implementing safety procedures and Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) on site and posting educational information prior to the event.

I work for a company that is committed to the safety of their employees. They have bombarded us with daily COVID-19 updates and safety protocols. So much so, that some employees are saying … “this is overkill; Manitoba has one of the lowest infection rates, why can’t we go back to normal?”  I think the answer, very simply, is that we can’t take the chance. Better to err on the side of safety, especially when we’re hearing about the “second wave” and countries like the U.S. having a death rate higher than the Vietnam war.

I’m the last person that wants to give up a single event, but under these extraordinary circumstances, I feel it’s in my best interest and those around me to comply with the Phase One restrictions that limits public gatherings to 10 or fewer people. I’m also crossing my fingers that Phase Two restrictions, which will be affected by Phase One results, will allow for expanded gatherings. Otherwise, it’s wait for Phase Three in September before restrictions are lifted.

I’m certainly no expert on this issue and have gathered all my information from our workplace COVID-19 health safety protocols and the Manitoba government website:

I know the WSCC Executive is monitoring the current situation and will inform the general membership as soon as the status of our 2020 season is known.

Well said, Sir.

I feel pretty much the same, I'm bummed that I'm not out there too. But as long as this is still going on, I cannot take the risk of getting my family sick. At my house, we have stayed fairly strict with the distancing this entire time. If anyone shows up, we have a quick visit on the driveway and they're on their way. 

The track has become a big part of my life,  it keeps me sane and I miss the excitement, but I am okay that we are at a standstill until everything is back to "normal". 

Edited by Rare Snake
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Weebly said:

Everything you said equally applies to any infectious disease, including influenza.

The flu killed 29 people in MB 2019/2020 season and hospitalized 400 as per our Government's own record keeping. For some reason, it never caused any alarm or curtailing of day to day life. Perhaps we should cancel September and October racing dates because that is the start of flu season. Can't be too careful!

There is nothing rational or scientific about the advice we are receiving from the Government. They are so invested in their response to COVID that they have to keep pretending that they didn't completely overreact to the situation and cause tremendous harm to people and businesses. The active case count of COVID has been falling for nearly a month now and currently sits at 30 something cases in a population of 1.3 million people. They can barely find more than 1 or 2 news cases a day out of hundreds of samples. This is an "emperor has no clothes" moment happening in real time, a farce.

If the club has to follow these rules, then there's nothing we can do. But please don't pretend this isn't anything other than cover your ass politics as usual. Our lives are being sacrificed in order for Pallister and Roussin to not take any blame at any cost to public at large.

8 hours ago, The Contrarian said:

Everything you said equally applies to any infectious disease, including influenza.

The flu killed 29 people in MB 2019/2020 season and hospitalized 400 as per our Government's own record keeping. For some reason, it never caused any alarm or curtailing of day to day life. Perhaps we should cancel September and October racing dates because that is the start of flu season. Can't be too careful!

There is nothing rational or scientific about the advice we are receiving from the Government. They are so invested in their response to COVID that they have to keep pretending that they didn't completely overreact to the situation and cause tremendous harm to people and businesses. The active case count of COVID has been falling for nearly a month now and currently sits at 30 something cases in a population of 1.3 million people. They can barely find more than 1 or 2 news cases a day out of hundreds of samples. This is an "emperor has no clothes" moment happening in real time, a farce.

If the club has to follow these rules, then there's nothing we can do. But please don't pretend this isn't anything other than cover your ass politics as usual. Our lives are being sacrificed in order for Pallister and Roussin to not take any blame at any cost to public at large.

Way more to it then this my friend but I am right there with you. I can't go into town or stores (so I don't) without getting too mad at everything going on and everyone following suit.  We will get back into out cars taring up the tarmac soon enough. But then we will be told the second wave is here and probably have to do all this all over again. We can only wait, unfortunately. But in the mean time a lot of us have taken up Assetto Corsa racing, we have a dedicated server for the WSCC with a great coordinator for Saturday races at 8pm. There is a forum for that so if you are able to join come on by.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2020 at 9:26 PM, Weebly said:

Although all you said it’s completely valid and I agree with that, for me it would be pretty obvious that we would simply change the way that things were and I don’t see why not the events would not go on. Even if the rules are softened and we have events in June, I’ll protect myself and, for example, wouldn’t share the pen that other people used to register. 
Can’t we just think outside the box and carry on? Like racing is already social distancing, unless you are rubbing each other’s cars and go for a little pow wow after the race with the other racer. 
Simple rules could resolve any and all health concerns and it can all be carried on

One does wonder why Manitoba rates are so low in the first place. Perhaps it is because social distancing and other preventative measures were implemented before the virus got a strong foothold?

It is easy to have this narrow frame of mind when you are in your 20s or 30s but there are family members of most of the competitors that are not in that age group or have some kind of immune system deficiencies. The death rate for Canada from the flu is somewhere between 500 and 1500 for an average reporting year.  Canada has 4400 + deaths for the first 5 months of this outbreak.

I'm guessing people here are orphans with no immune deficiencies or relatives 40 +? 

Don't get me wrong, this is putting a damper on all our social activities not to mention our financial positions. But just think if we maintained this kind of an attitude from the start, would we be like QC or Ontario?

Currently we are not .. at the moment. I am pretty sure we all would like to keep it that way.

Also would you like to be the one that is financially responsible for any health issues or fatalities caused by gathering too soon just for a past time activity?

• Like 4

On 5/6/2020 at 10:38 AM, The Contrarian said:

If the club has to follow these rules, then there's nothing we can do.

And this hits the nail on the head. It doesn't matter what anyone believes or hopes is true; The rules says no gatherings of more than 10 people. There is no room for interpretation, and the fines are steep. 

We'll get together to play in our cars eventually. 

• Like 2

As much as I would like to get my Z out to Gimli, I would hate to be involved in an event, only to find out 10-14 days later that one of the organizers/stewards/volunteers ended up being infected. Just. NOT. Worth. IT!

If you aren't being careful for yourself, be careful for others!

peace, David