Proving Grounds at Brainerd 2019

mcorrie

I'm thinking about going this year. if there are any other WSCC members that want to go, lets see what we can do.  The Standing Start single lap is similar to the old Top Gear feature "star in a reasonably priced car" and with Auto X and Drag Racing all on the schedule it makes for a busy weekend of tire annihilation! I haven't been to Brainerd in a long time, this sounds like fun for sure 

http://www.cwscc.com/MAPerformance.php

Classing Info:

http://www.cwscc.com/map_pdfs/PG_Classing.pdf

What is TTS?
Triple Track Showdown. This is a combination of Drag Racing, Parking lot AutoX, and Road Course. Prove that you have the skill and car that can do it all. A combined score from all three events will determine the winner of each class.

Drag-
Saturday morning
Spend Saturday morning trying to get your best quarter mile time. Each driver will be given 3 drag passes.

AutoX- 
Saturday evening
AutoX is a timed competition where the driver will navigate through a course designated by traffic cones. Each driver will race against the clock (not wheel-to-wheel) for the quickest time. This requires quick thinking and fast action driving. Essentially it's a miniature road course outlined with cones. TTS AutoX will start on Saturday at 3pm.

Road Course- 
(Sunday)

This is the real deal, high speed, road course driving. Similar to the Auto-X, this is a race against the clock (not wheel-to-wheel). You will be given one 20minute practice session to learn the track along with two attempts at the Standing-Start Shootout.  There will be a mandatory drivers meeting before you are allowed on track.

All TTS Entries are automatically entered into the MN Time Attack. Your best standing start lap time will go towards the TTS competition as well as the Time Attack.

Matt

Edited by mcorrie
add content, classing link

16 hours ago, nopistons said:

This would be a great thing to try at gimli...except we arent allowed to use the strip 

Could it be done in partnership when they have a drag Saturday or Sunday? Perhaps do the autox / hot lap on a Friday or Monday. 

2 hours ago, MRS Joe said:

Could it be done in partnership when they have a drag Saturday or Sunday? Perhaps do the autox / hot lap on a Friday or Monday. 

That’s a good idea...we can run on a test Saturday that the drag racers always have. If we can find a date they run that’s only 1 week  prior to our race weekend, it would be cool.

Alternatively, We can always ask them if they’d come out and operate the track for a couple hours so our entrants can make 3 passes each 

we can probably look into running a standing start single lap regardless- it would be a fun addition to the weekend if we can find time to do it.

This event gets a TON of cars, and it fills up more every year. I used to go for Powercruise every year, but it just got a bit too open and out of control. Had a good scare with an inexperienced driver and I haven't been back. The first year I went there were 107 cars, now Powercruise is well over 1000. But man, what a great place, BIR is the best park I've been to so far. I'd love to get back there some day.

Dason

Edited by Rare Snake
  • Like 1

As far as running an event like this ourselves, we would have to clear the hurdle of insurance and potentially allowing non-licensed drivers on the road coarse (unless we limit entries to Licensed drivers only...also limiting the appeal and potential entrants)...amongst other concerns as they will present themselves, they always do.

I tabled doing something like this last year, and it was brought up quite correctly that we need to advertise our own disciplines better. If we did this right, it might be a good fundraising event for the track resurfacing project. As Dason mentioned - this type of event attracts a diverse group, hot rodders, drag racers, etc. So the attendance numbers would be great...gate fees alone would make a dent in the project...maybe this would also be advertising for our own club sports?

But for this year, i just think it'd be a cracking good time to enter the event at Brainerd, a great experience for sure. If by entering it we can see what it takes to run something like this, we would have a better idea of what it takes to host this type of event. Executive Road Trip anybody?:D

I've attended this event a few years ago as a spectator. It was a great time. Almost like folk fest for car guys. We stayed off track and drove in daily but if you want the full experience I would recommend camping at the track. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mcorrie said:

As far as running an event like this ourselves, we would have to clear the hurdle of insurance and potentially allowing non-licensed drivers on the road coarse (unless we limit entries to Licensed drivers only...also limiting the appeal and potential entrants)...amongst other concerns as they will present themselves, they always do.

If this is something we would actually do, we could make provisions for a mini-HPDE type instruction similar to what is provided on our Fridays.

• Like 1

The only hurdle with timed competition on the racetrack is our insurance requires anyone who competes in timed racing needs an applicable lisence to do so. 

1.6.1. To be eligible to compete as a driver, a driver must:
I. Hold a competition licence issued by ASN Canada FIA or an ASN Region that grants 
eligibility for Time Attack events;
II. Have signed the ASN Canada FIA General Waiver.

• 1 month later...

Gary with the Camaro here (hi guys)! I have been going to proving grounds for the last few years and will be going this year too, hoping to drag my brother Dave with me. It’s a lot of fun and a really good time. They do drag racing, drifting, Auto x and HPDE all weekend long. Brainerds track works excellent for this event because they run hpde , Auto x and drag racing all at the same time  because of their track layout. Short course is 2.5 mile, the drags can use the front straight which doesn’t affect the short road course, and auto x and drifting takes place near the entrance where you first drive in. It draws a big crowd and tons of ridiculous cars. They usually do 2 a year, one in June and one in September. If you can find the time in your schedule, make the trip, it’s tons of fun and usually a few of us winnipeggers down there. 

• Like 1