Ianfromduff

2019 WSCC time attack supplementary regs *NEW*

Pax worked awesome that why the top 3 time attack finishers in 2018 used a pax factor higher then there car classes just to keep the field tighter lol

yes I will say pax sucked for a heavily modified cars. But I don’t think anyone in mod 1 really cared. For any of us to be competitive we would have had to run a mid 55 sec lap. Being that the 1 min mark hasn’t been tackled yet it wasn’t going to happen haha

Dot slicks in limited essentially makes it unlimited class without a cage. Aside from that point dot slick sizing in comparison to a street tire is a joke. My 245 dot slicks are as big as my 275 dot r compounds. 

On the point of stock factory sports cars being pushed up into unlimited due to tire size alone. I’ll just put it out there that buying a set of smaller tires is the only thing needed to get into limited and be ultra competitive

The big upside I see is 3 classes that can be competitive and fun for everyone. A nice entry level class that can be ultra affordable and still very competitive. A middle class for fast sports cars and modified street cars with a common tire size that equalizes them... and unlimited for the people that want to build dedicated track cars. Another big upside is the ease of classing this will bring vs the countless times I heard people say they had difficulty doing the pax classing for there

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Tysawch said:

On the point of stock factory sports cars being pushed up into unlimited due to tire size alone. I’ll just put it out there that buying a set of smaller tires is the only thing needed to get into limited and be ultra competitive

The same could be said for your mods on your car...why not just remove them to fit in a lower PAX?

Just saying...

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tysawch said:

For any of us to be competitive we would have had to run a mid 55 sec lap. Being that the 1 min mark hasn’t been tackled yet it wasn’t going to happen haha

Just because you haven't done it yet doesn't mean it is impossible. There are many cars that are capable of sub minute laps that come to GMP, just no one has been able to achieve that yet (on timing).

The point of PAX is that you can't buy lap times. The faster the car gets the higher the bar you have to clear gets.

Edited by 84TurboSupra
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nopistons said:

The same could be said for your mods on your car...why not just remove them to fit in a lower PAX?

Just saying...

Some people care about being competitive to a pax/ or class. Some are just going for the best laptime possible. I’ve never complained about my pax score times as it’s not why I’m there. My car is also far from a wheel and tire swap to meet a lower pax group.

i think pax was great when there was very few time attack cars with a wide performance spread to make it a way of comparing lap times competitively. Luckily now we have full time attack fields that make multiple classes achievable. I’m looking forward to seeing tighter competition for more people over all the classes instead of really just 5 out of 30 people being in a competitive spot for the points

I hope you are right and it all works out.

6 hours ago, Tysawch said:

Dot slicks in limited essentially makes it unlimited class without a cage. Aside from that point dot slick sizing in comparison to a street tire is a joke. My 245 dot slicks are as big as my 275 dot r compounds

I respectfully disagree. While you make an interesting point with size differences on 2 DOT rated tires, i must admit I’m a little unsure of your comparison. I have 245 DOT race tires and they are very, very close to the 245 street tire, the DOT rating makes sure of this. Your observation makes perfect sense if you were comparing a 245 Radial Slick race tire to a 275 DOT race tire. Clearly, I have not seen every tire out there and you could be quite accurate, it just seems a little off in my experience :).

When comparing proper race tires to DOT race tires, I’m afraid there is much more that goes into a race tire than meets the eye, and painting them both in the same brush is essentially selective exclusion. In the OTA system they take this into account and you take 10 points for a DOT race tire, 20 points for a slick (if my memory serves me correct, feel free to correct me if I’m wrong). In a Race Slick, the Carcass is different, the compound and layup is different, the sidewalls, shoulders, weight and load are quite different, the expected lifespan is light years different, the cost is much higher - they are each designed for a specific type of car in a specific type of racing. The only real similarity is that they are black and round. Racing tires, DOT race tires and Ultra High Performance street tires are in 3 different worlds, and fit nicely into the 3 proposed classes. In my humble opinion, the UHP tire is an Enthusiast tire, the DOT race tire is for Limited competition vehicles and Slicks are full competition tires.

If we are proposing a completely new rules package where the primary limiter/equalizer is tires (as you highlighted in an earlier post) and as I mentioned earlier that “the rules should meet the intent of the class” then DOT race tires (regardless of tread pattern) should be the correct tire for a Limited class. 

We understand that with the new regulations change comes learning and adapting to the evergrowing sport of time attack. Our new regulations are based off of the 4 main time attack groups in the world(Global Time Attack, World time attack, Gridlife,  and SCCA). None of these groups use any sort of pax system. While i would love to have 4-5-6 different classes for competitors our numbers cannot support this while allowing a fun and competitive championship. Thus we settled on 3 classes with what we feel to be an equal step in performance between each class while being able to provide competitors a fun and fair class to compete within.

We do see the need to encourage newcomers into the club and the sport and to provide a fair challenge to unexperienced drivers as such we will be looking for a fair way to incorporate rookies into a fair classing.

With that being said safety is our number one priority and i feel as our requirements for safety are a fair and understandable update to the asn regulations.

We do understand these regulations are brand new and we expect tweaks to be made to show strengths and weaknesses between the classes.

Ian and Brooke

• Like 2