jdm_eg

Door bar rules?

Just want to confirm for full caged time attack cars about door bar rules? Nascar style or x style? I've read the rule book but i just need someone to clearify to be 100% please and thanks!!

Mitch

I pulled this out of the wcma technical regulations.

Side protection bars must be attached between the front and rear hoops on both sides of the 
vehicle. These bars should be attached to the front hoop no higher than 30.48 cm (12") off the 
floor and on the rear hoop and no higher than 60.96 cm (24") off the floor. The competitor's 
side must be fitted with at least two side protection bars which follow as closely as possible the 
outline of the door. NASCAR style multiple anti-intrusion bars are highly recommended.

No one is gonna turn you away if you decide to do X style door bars tho.

Building off what Ian posted...

NASCAR bars (FIA Article 253 figure 11) and "X-Style" (FIA Article 253 figure 9) are acceptable and it comes down to car prep, egress considerations and ultimately personal preference.

For what it's worth, I have horizontal intrusion bars on my last 3 cars and if i have to build another, it will be an 'X'. That setup plays better with the FIA halo support bar (FIA Article 253 figure 15) and being able to get in and out of the car.

Note the accepted design for 2019...

2.B ACCEPTED DESIGNS

All vehicles, regardless of date of manufacture, must be fitted with a roll cage conforming to the following specifications (Please note, effective January 1st 2019 new regulations will align with Appx 1 Sections 1, 2.1, 2.A and 2.B.1)

1. FIA

a. A Cage that is FIA Homologated, or

b. A Cages that conform to the FIA International Sporting Code article 253-8 Appendix J article 8 at the time of vehicle registration.

• i. Door bars (covered in 8.3.2.1.2), maybe be in anti-intrusion design (multiple plains), if they are according to drawing 253-9 or 253-11
  • ii. DOM is an acceptable alternate (CDS)
Edited by nopistons

I've been leaning toward the X bars as well. This is the current model I've been developing for the Camaro, still have some tuning to do, but X bars will be compliant. that being said, i might stretch them into the doors like the Nascar style.

cage ortho2.PNG

If I do another cage I will try the X intrusion bar setup. Keep in mind the FIA "A" pillar bar can have up 20 ° bend in it to give you added room between the cage and your left hand.

and in the "relevant redundancy" file, we have the door bars that can't possibly fail tech...

double door bars.jpg

• Like 1