Jump to content
Shawn

October 13 Autoslalom at Gimli

Recommended Posts

Hey everyone,

You may have seen a post that there is a hot lapping/intro to autoslalom day on Saturday October 13 (weather permitting).

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/2018-wscc-open-track-day-intro-to-autoslalom-gimli-motorsports-park-559373

We will be getting an instructor or two to come out and be available to show people what autoslalom is all about and make sure that they get a great introduction to the sport. I am looking for a few volunteers that would like to come out and do some marshaling and/or take people for fun runs.

 

Shawn

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was looking at doing some lapping on that day. But I can certainly take people out on fun runs on the autocross course. Do you know what the layout or schedule is going to be like?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jim Eh. said:

Probably ... awesome!

Haha... no doubt. I just meant if it was going to be on the skidpad or on the actual track.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shawn will pipe up but if they are offering both track time AND autoslalom time then I would think the autoslalom track would be on the skid pad. Logistics of separate disciplines on the RR track would be too much in the same day.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, grail said:

Haha... no doubt. I just meant if it was going to be on the skidpad or on the actual track.

 

Autoslalom course will be on the skid pad!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding the schedule, we will have to flesh that out in the next day or two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, sounds good. I can do lapping in the morning and then help you guys out in the afternoon, if that works.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Open wheeled cars ok for lapping?  I might be able to make this one!  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only if you have a brick under the gas pedal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 1:54 PM, Shawn said:

Hey everyone,

You may have seen a post that there is a hot lapping/intro to autoslalom day on Saturday October 13 (weather permitting).

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/2018-wscc-open-track-day-intro-to-autoslalom-gimli-motorsports-park-559373

We will be getting an instructor or two to come out and be available to show people what autoslalom is all about and make sure that they get a great introduction to the sport. I am looking for a few volunteers that would like to come out and do some marshaling and/or take people for fun runs.

 

Shawn

Oooh, , this is beginning to sound like a lot of fun!

You mean I can do Autoslalom, cross the track and then do lapping, and then go back and do some more Autoslalom?  And in between, I can volunteer for course working and offer ride-a-longs?

This has now become ridiculously fun.  Please tell me it's true!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jim Eh. said:

Only if you have a brick under the gas pedal.

How much trouble could 105 HP cause? :angel: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Corey said:

Open wheeled cars ok for lapping?  I might be able to make this one!  

No problem. We group open wheel cars separately of course.:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Weebly said:

Oooh, , this is beginning to sound like a lot of fun!

You mean I can do Autoslalom, cross the track and then do lapping, and then go back and do some more Autoslalom?  And in between, I can volunteer for course working and offer ride-a-longs?

This has now become ridiculously fun.  Please tell me it's true!

It’s true. Dress warm!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to try making this day. Here’s to hoping stars align.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like I may have to bail on this event. Forgot that I have to possibly show up for a wedding on that day... lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still enrolled but tentative pending the weather forecast.  Not sure I can fit in my car (and steer) with a parka.  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haha, bad memories from ice racing Mr. Waldron's Fiesta with no side glass in -30 weather...  I mean, it was awesome other than almost freezing to my hands off.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Contrarian said:

The forecast is currently 4C with rain or snow. What conditions will instigate cancellation?

I've seen two events cancelled in my 18 years.  One had large snowbanks on the course that would have needed a big plow to clear, the other was hurricane winds, sleet, and about 8 people entered.  I think we're good for this weekend.  

I took a Gimli school at zero C and mixed snow/rain.  It wasn't fast, but it sure was fun!  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I was at a school in terrible conditions too (around zero, snow/rain) and a driver crashed his rather new car and it was totaled. Personally I thought the safety at the event was a joke and event should have never gone forward.

Edited by The Contrarian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Corey said:

I've seen two events cancelled in my 18 years.  One had large snowbanks on the course that would have needed a big plow to clear, the other was hurricane winds, sleet, and about 8 people entered.  I think we're good for this weekend.  

I took a Gimli school at zero C and mixed snow/rain.  It wasn't fast, but it sure was fun!  

Love the positivity in this post.

 

The traction will be less than ideal.

The conditions will be less than ideal.

Seat time in circumstances such as these will make you a more competent driver.

 

If you have windows and a heater the weather should be perfect.

 

This event gives us one final chance to hit the track before a long, cold winter. Many of us have raced in -30 or worse and we still manage rotate tires, repair our cars and have a great time. The key is to come prepared.

 

I would hate to cancel an event and disappoint anyone who is excited to go racing one last time in 2018. 

 

The experience might be harsh for organizers and workers...but this event isn’t for us!

Edited by Mat
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The Contrarian said:

Yes I was at a school in terrible conditions too (around zero, snow/rain) and a driver crashed his rather new car and it was totaled. Personally I thought the safety at the event was a joke and event should have never gone forward.

What school was this and how long ago?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×