October 13 Autoslalom at Gimli

Shawn

Hey everyone,

You may have seen a post that there is a hot lapping/intro to autoslalom day on Saturday October 13 (weather permitting).

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/2018-wscc-open-track-day-intro-to-autoslalom-gimli-motorsports-park-559373

We will be getting an instructor or two to come out and be available to show people what autoslalom is all about and make sure that they get a great introduction to the sport. I am looking for a few volunteers that would like to come out and do some marshaling and/or take people for fun runs.

Shawn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 1:54 PM, Shawn said:

Hey everyone,

You may have seen a post that there is a hot lapping/intro to autoslalom day on Saturday October 13 (weather permitting).

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/2018-wscc-open-track-day-intro-to-autoslalom-gimli-motorsports-park-559373

We will be getting an instructor or two to come out and be available to show people what autoslalom is all about and make sure that they get a great introduction to the sport. I am looking for a few volunteers that would like to come out and do some marshaling and/or take people for fun runs.

Shawn

Oooh, , this is beginning to sound like a lot of fun!

You mean I can do Autoslalom, cross the track and then do lapping, and then go back and do some more Autoslalom?  And in between, I can volunteer for course working and offer ride-a-longs?

This has now become ridiculously fun.  Please tell me it's true!

1 hour ago, Weebly said:

Oooh, , this is beginning to sound like a lot of fun!

You mean I can do Autoslalom, cross the track and then do lapping, and then go back and do some more Autoslalom?  And in between, I can volunteer for course working and offer ride-a-longs?

This has now become ridiculously fun.  Please tell me it's true!

It’s true. Dress warm!!

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, The Contrarian said:

The forecast is currently 4C with rain or snow. What conditions will instigate cancellation?

I've seen two events cancelled in my 18 years.  One had large snowbanks on the course that would have needed a big plow to clear, the other was hurricane winds, sleet, and about 8 people entered.  I think we're good for this weekend.  

I took a Gimli school at zero C and mixed snow/rain.  It wasn't fast, but it sure was fun!  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Corey said:

I've seen two events cancelled in my 18 years.  One had large snowbanks on the course that would have needed a big plow to clear, the other was hurricane winds, sleet, and about 8 people entered.  I think we're good for this weekend.  

I took a Gimli school at zero C and mixed snow/rain.  It wasn't fast, but it sure was fun!  

Love the positivity in this post.

The traction will be less than ideal.

The conditions will be less than ideal.

Seat time in circumstances such as these will make you a more competent driver.

If you have windows and a heater the weather should be perfect.

This event gives us one final chance to hit the track before a long, cold winter. Many of us have raced in -30 or worse and we still manage rotate tires, repair our cars and have a great time. The key is to come prepared.

I would hate to cancel an event and disappoint anyone who is excited to go racing one last time in 2018. 

The experience might be harsh for organizers and workers...but this event isn’t for us!

Edited by Mat
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, The Contrarian said:

Yes I was at a school in terrible conditions too (around zero, snow/rain) and a driver crashed his rather new car and it was totaled. Personally I thought the safety at the event was a joke and event should have never gone forward.

What school was this and how long ago?

Looking forward to tomorrow, but also a little concerned about the weather forecast, especially for the marshals/volunteers freezing in the 50-70km/hr wind/rain! Well, if you believe the forecast. Maybe its just because I am getting older, or maybe because I am not sure if I will need to run winter tires or not... :canada:

But, yes, also because over the years time has shown its one thing for experienced drivers, handling familiar cars, in adverse conditions and another to have a training or school event which could include inexperienced drivers, who may not know their car, in adverse conditions. The risks are understood by all ahead of time, but hind sight is where many questions could get asked about the recipe that lead to an unfortunate situation. 

I know I could be being "that" guy, so I apologize if I am, but yes, looking forward to it... cautiously... :) 

Steve

Hey Steve

I'm just setting up at the track so I will be brief. The 70km wind forecast has been lifted and there is little to no wind here currently. Temperature is mild with a light drizzle. We will take all precautions to protect our marshals.

We all understand the risks and we intend to cover these in our drivers meeting today. As marshals we monitor all drivers and address potential unsafe behaviour. After all we also offer these type of events at -30 on ice.

See you later today!

Edited by Mat