Autocross event #11

Corey

Yesterday was my first event ever, I drove the red #88 Civic hatch and had a blast. During the event I struggled but sticking around for fun runs was a great idea as I strung together three clean consistent runs and gained a ton of confidence. Overall on the day I learned a ton and can't wait to be racing again. 

• Like 4

I had a blast yesterday, too. Great course - just techincal enough to be a good challenge, but mostly I liked the wide open parts where you could really fly. :)

Good turnout and the event was well organized and operated. Great job all around.

Timing issues - I saved some screenshots into a folder on the desktop with the date (2018-08-25). I'll post about that in another thread.

Tricky course but fun. I like the need to do some significant breaking midcourse (not just at the pivots). Interestingly my 2nd and 4th runs I got identical times but drove them completely different. I didn't think I was going to be driving so no videos but glad I did race as it's the first event where I was able to snatch a win from Ben. So far it's been a fun season trying to chase him down. Dale you need to get your car sorted out and come out to more events as I think there would be some epic battles.

There were two photographers out - does anyone know if they put pictures online somewhere?  

On 8/26/2018 at 9:43 AM, Zach said:

Yesterday was my first event ever, I drove the red #88 Civic hatch and had a blast. During the event I struggled but sticking around for fun runs was a great idea as I strung together three clean consistent runs and gained a ton of confidence. Overall on the day I learned a ton and can't wait to be racing again. 

Awesome!  Hope to see you out again!  A tip for anyone new: Ask people to ride along with someone that seems to know what they're doing.  It's stunning how quick the fast drivers are, and how intense the whole experience is.  Most anyone will take a passenger for one of the first two runs if you ask nicely.  I still remember my first ride at autox, a mere 18 years ago.  #oldfart

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Corey said:

There were two photographers out - does anyone know if they put pictures online somewhere?  

Awesome!  Hope to see you out again!  A tip for anyone new: Ask people to ride along with someone that seems to know what they're doing.  It's stunning how quick the fast drivers are, and how intense the whole experience is.  Most anyone will take a passenger for one of the first two runs if you ask nicely.  I still remember my first ride at autox, a mere 18 years ago.  #oldfart

I remember getting a ride along 8 years ago at my first event in your old S2000 Corey. I still can recall how much it helped.

I made sure to offer 2 ride alongs to first timers this past weekend. Hope they enjoyed it as much as I did. 

That being said, I'm open for taking more ride alongs, come find me at the next event! #payitforward

Chris (#47 Silver S2000)

Edited by Magner
  • Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:43 AM, Zach said:

Hey Zach,

Welcome to Autoslalom … glad you enjoyed your first event!  Don't worry about the DNF's, I've had more than my share of those and just getting more seat time (like you did with fun runs) will help.

Corey's suggestion to get a ride-along with an experienced member is a great way to identify what you're doing right and what might need improvement.  We have a rookie mentor (driving instructor) available at our events that will gladly ride along with you and offer helpful advice.  Normally our driving school instructor (Rob) works as the rookie mentor during the Novice run group.  

And as Corey also mentioned, if you can't schedule Rob to ride in your car, you can still ask to ride along with other experienced drivers or have one of them ride with you.

Hope to see you out the weekend of Sep 8th & 9th.

On 8/26/2018 at 10:43 AM, Zach said:

As everyone here is saying, jump into as many cars as you can, especially with people that have been doing it for a few years. Not everything you will experience will be a lesson of what you should be doing, but it might give you ideas of what you can apply to your own driving style.

You will find that everyone has their own thing that works for them and it's finding which of those things will work for you. 

• Like 1

My best run from Saturday. Course was a compromise with the short gearing, needed 3rd everywhere but the mid section near the trailer. After talking with Rob we just lugged it around in 3rd everywhere. Too busy and too easy to make a mistake dropping to 2nd in anything but the hairpins. Also forgot to downshift to 1st in the south hairpin and only got it done after I turned in which cause the rear to lockup around the 0:20 mark. Always get your shifting done BEFORE turning in folks.

Edited by Magner
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone for the advice! I'll be out on the 8th or 9th, just haven't picked one or if I'll do both. I'll definitely take any suggestions or advice on how to get better, it took about 24 hours after the event to wipe the grin off my face :D

On 8/27/2018 at 2:11 PM, Magner said:

I remember getting a ride along 8 years ago at my first event in your old S2000 Corey. I still can recall how much it helped.

I made sure to offer 2 ride alongs to first timers this past weekend. Hope they enjoyed it as much as I did. 

That being said, I'm open for taking more ride alongs, come find me at the next event! #payitforward

Chris (#47 Silver S2000)

I'll come find you next event I'm racing!

• Like 1