Sign in to follow this  
grail

GT-R brake pads

Hey guys,

Just putting this out there for a friend who just bought a 2016 Nissan GT-R Black Edition. He's looking at replacing his stock pads with an aftermarket set that has minimal dust / noise. He's had enough of the noise the brakes make already... haha. So anyone who has owned or knows someone who owns one, *cough* Nish *cough*, can chime in.

Peter

Maybe grease the rotors?  <-- I kid, I kid!  

Hawk HPS are pretty well loved by the internet.  I didn't like them on my Subaru, but his usage sounds different from mine.  HP+ are the opposite of what he wants!  

The EBC Racing Blue's I have now are about as dust free and quiet as I have had in a good pad. They work better than the HPS, but Chris and I are debating if the bite is the same as the HP+. They are certainly more linear than the HP+ so your friend may like them. 

Got mine from Sam Strano at stranoparts. 

https://ebcbrakes.com/product/ebc-disc-pads-for-racing/

I don't remember the brakes squealing on either of Nish's GT-R's, and as far as I know, they both just ran OEM Nissan pads.

Does your friend's car perhaps already have some noisy aftermarket crap pads? Get some Nissan pads and call it a day.

Edited by Brian_Earl_Spilner

12 hours ago, Brian_Earl_Spilner said:

I don't remember the brakes squealing on either of Nish's GT-R's, and as far as I know, they both just ran OEM Nissan pads.

Does your friend's car perhaps already have some noisy aftermarket crap pads? Get some Nissan pads and call it a day.

Not sure what pads he has on there now, I just assumed OEMs... lol. I didn't really notice the noise when I took a short drive in it.

He's looking at the Hawks HPS pads, but I'll mention the EBC ones. Thanks for the info guys.

On 7/19/2018 at 10:03 AM, grail said:

Hey guys,

Just putting this out there for a friend who just bought a 2016 Nissan GT-R Black Edition. He's looking at replacing his stock pads with an aftermarket set that has minimal dust / noise. He's had enough of the noise the brakes make already... haha. So anyone who has owned or knows someone who owns one, *cough* Nish *cough*, can chime in.

Peter

My 2009 GT-R had noisy brakes, but I don't know if they were OEM pads or after-market since the car was used when I bought it. Doing the standard bedding in process eliminated the noise for a couple hundred kms, but then the noise would come back. Doing laps in Gimli eliminated the noise for longer. ;)

Strangely, my 2015 GT-R never had any noise at all and that was bought new so it had OEM pads and rotors, BUT it was a premium edition, not the black edition. I don't know if the black edition uses different OEM pads.

Noisy brakes from the factory are a common problem though, the forums are covered in threads about it. It's a heavy car that needs aggressive pads and unfortunately that often also means noisy. Seems to be hit or miss on whether any given GT-R will have an issue, some do, some don't. https://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic/103692-brake-squealing-2015-gt-r-premium/

Also, I hope your friend knows there are plenty of places to get OEM/aftermarket parts for the GT-R other than the dealer. GTRlife forums are a good start to find out what pads to get for street driving that will be quiet.

Edited by nishanna

A crazy thought: Brake harder.  Some compounds like* higher pedal pressures and more heat.  

I've run a fair number of different pads.  I recall Ferodo DS2500 pads on my STI would make very annoying squeals when braking lightly.  They were fine when braking harder, but I don't like driving like that in traffic.  Same for Hawk HP+.  The guy I sold the Ferodos to loved them.  :shrug:

* Yes, I'm anthropomorphizing brake pads.   

6 minutes ago, Corey said:

A crazy thought: Brake harder.  Some compounds like* higher pedal pressures and more heat.  

I've run a fair number of different pads.  I recall Ferodo DS2500 pads on my STI would make very annoying squeals when braking lightly.  They were fine when braking harder, but I don't like driving like that in traffic.  Same for Hawk HP+.  The guy I sold the Ferodos to loved them.  :shrug:

* Yes, I'm anthropomorphizing brake pads.   

antidisestablishmentarianism

I can use big words too!

• Haha 1