Hello,

I'm looking for opinions on the value proposition of xpel (or similar) paint protection wraps to prevent rock chips and other damage to painted surfaces, mostly the bumper and hood.

I am taking delivery of a 2018 Audi RS3 in a couple weeks and have got two quotes around $3k to get the full hood, bumper, fenders and rocker panels wrapped. The cost with tax would approach 5% of the cost of the car. I plan to keep the car a long time (generally I keep all my cars at least 10 years). 

I see value in the film preventing the tiny stones that get kicked up from chipping the paint, but when a piece of large gravel hits the car at 60 km/h, I feel like plastic film is not going to make a lot of difference. It may be better to just save the money for a repaint down the road.

Xpel also has a Tracwrap product for temporary use during autcross, track days etc. I feel like the majority of the stone chips on my Mustang were from autocross and HDPE events, so this may be a much more cost effective method of slowly down the deterioration of paint over time.

Edited by The Contrarian
7 hours ago, Shawn said:

I can't answer your question but please bring that car to autoslalom and take me for a ride...or a co-drive. Please post some pics when you get it.

I plan to take it to an autocross event once the engine is broken in (1600 kms) and I figure out how I am going to prevent sticky tire rash.

My car is spec'd out exactly like this video, except the mirror covers are carbon fiber, the interior has grey stitching instead of red and there are carbon fiber inlays in the doors and dash.

Edited by The Contrarian
8 hours ago, The Contrarian said:

I plan to keep the car a long time (generally I keep all my cars at least 10 years). 

If this is true, then Xpel is absolutely worth it. Make sure you get it done by a reputable place like Rebirth. A poor application job will peel over time.

I used to be religious about putting paint protection film until I realized I only kept my cars for 2-3 years. If I didn't have that bad car-buying habit, I would continue to get it.

P.S. I have the same motor as you, even the same color, but in TTRS guise. You will love it.

IMG_5076 (Small).JPG

Edited by nishanna
  • 2 weeks later...

I can't speak directly about their permanent film on road cars, but I used their Tracwrap to protect a car I towed on a u-haul trailer from Winnipeg to Hamilton. The drive was in the middle of winter with a lot of gravel/salt on the roads in some sections and the paint saw no damage. The car was a 1993 MR2 with original paint and there was also no damage to the paint when removing the film either.

VPS installed Xpel paint protection film on our racecar from the UofM on some bare carbon sections of our chassis and side pods. After some track use there are areas of the sidepods that are chipping away that were un-protected, while the areas that have the ppf still look brand new.

• 1 month later...

I did end up getting xpel on most of the front of the vehicle. Unfortunately the installation has issues and will be going back to the installer. Good quality product, but the installer appears to be the key to a great final product. Don't go with the cheapest quote.

As the break-in period elasped, I took the RS3 to Gimli to set a stock 1/4 mile time. My best run was 12.04 @ 112 mph w/ a 1.76 60' time.

I hope get out to autocross later this month.

Edited by The Contrarian
On 9/2/2018 at 2:58 PM, The Contrarian said:

I did end up getting xpel on most of the front of the vehicle. Unfortunately the installation has issues and will be going back to the installer. Good quality product, but the installer appears to be the key to a great final product. Don't go with the cheapest quote.

As the break-in period elasped, I took the RS3 to Gimli to set a stock 1/4 mile time. My best run was 12.04 @ 112 mph w/ a 1.76 60' time.

I hope get out to autocross later this month.

There are 2 events in St Andrews this weekend that you should come out to. The season ending event is at Gimli on Saturday September 22.

On 6/26/2018 at 11:07 PM, nishanna said:

If this is true, then Xpel is absolutely worth it. Make sure you get it done by a reputable place like Rebirth. A poor application job will peel over time.

On 9/2/2018 at 2:58 PM, The Contrarian said:

Hate to say I told you so, but... I told ya so ;)