Sign in to follow this  
Shawn

Gimli Retrospective

Hi all,

This weekend was a bit of a roller coaster weekend for Autoslalom. We attempted to hold a double header where we raced on the skid pad in the afternoon and then run on the road course in the evening. The skid pad event went off without any issue and in fact we finished up ahead of schedule. The road course event got off to a good start but we soon ran into issues with the timing system and as a result Run Group B never took to the track. As a result, Event #5 will not be included in the championship points. An email will be going out to those that attended regarding a refund for the event. Please keep an eye on your inbox. We are investigating what went wrong and truthfully it appears we had more than one issue. I will leave that for a followup discussion including what we will be doing differently going forward. 

To say this is disappointing is a huge understatement and besides trying to express how sorry I am, I really need to just say THANK-YOU to everyone.

Thank-you to the drivers that had to hurry up and wait as we tried to resolve the issues

Thank-you to the workers that got to bake in the sun but didn't get to get their timed laps in

Thank-you to Josh for handling all the registration stuff, including figuring out worker assignments and handling the aftermath of Event #5

Thank-you to Matt who took the brunt of this as he was trying to hold the crippled system together and find a way to get us times. That timing trailer was a very unhappy place.

Thank-you to everyone that was helping us formulate ideas how to get the timing system operational and actively troubleshoot what was going on

Thank-you to everyone that even after we made the call to shutdown the event, stuck around and helped tear down the course and repack the trailer

And through all of this, with how frustrating and annoying it was, not a single person gave us a hard time. Everyone rolled with it and for that I am immensely grateful as it keeps a stressful situation from getting unbearable. 

But the thank-yous don't stop there because that was just for the turmoil of running Event #5. There is a tonne of work that goes into the events and without the help, well, the events would never happen.

Thank-you to Road Race crew for working with our group during the weekend, coordinating our track crossing and directing people for us, for the use of the radios and for just being great hosts

Thank-you to Mat for working with me to facilitate the events and lending me gear to prep for my event and making sure we were properly taken care of. I promise I will find your missing 12 cones and get them to you..they are somewhere in the stacks of 350 cones we brought.

Thank-you to Shane and Bryce for hauling the timing trailer between Gimli and St Andrews and to Jim for relocating the trailer between the events.

Thank-you to Tim for the use of the Jeep and trailer as a cone hauler during the events

Thank-you to the guys that helped get the road course setup in record time

Thank-you to Chris for chalking both courses, for organizing the setup of course 2 and the tweaks to the courses to keep them safe and fun

Thank-you for everyone that took on tasks that I just randomly threw at you especially when you are doing things I know you'd prefer not to be doing...you guys told me to learn how to delegate, how am I doing? 8-)

Thank-you to everyone that helped with set-up, and tear down and all the packing and unpacking the trailer 

Thank-you to Brian and his wife Judy for all their help (hours and hours of help this weekend) in setting up both courses in the evenings prior to the events, not to mention for running the Drift event Saturday in between all the work I was making you do. 

And one final note just to prove how much you guys rock...at the end of the day as I was leaving, Mat and I were chatting and he mentioned how cool it was to see how so many people would pitch in and help do whatever was needed to be done to either get the event going or get the event closed. He said it looked like we had an awesome crew...and that made me feel like a proud dad. You guys rock.

Shawn

• Like 8

Shawn,

You couldn't have said it better and you took the time to thank everyone  involved in the event.  However, there is one thank-you that is missing.

Thank-you Shawn!!  It's incredible how much effort you put into organizing the weekend events and how none of this would've been possible without your determination to get it done.

I can't believe anyone would consider this last weekend as anything other than a success.  Well done, and looking forward to helping with the July double-header.

• Like 4