Sign in to follow this  
Shawn

Electric and Hybrid Vehicles with Lithium Based Battery Systems Excluded from Autoslalom

Hey everyone,

We have made a change to the 2018 Supplemental Regulations for Autoslalom regarding the use of electric and/or hybrid vehicles that have lithium based battery systems. ASN Canada is currently working on a policy statement regarding electric vehicles and hybrid vehicles with lithium based battery systems . Until the policy has been finalized all such vehicles are EXCLUDED from competition.

I am sorry if this impacts any of our potential participants. I am trying to get some more details about the specific issue(s) but my understanding is that if there were an accident or malfunction in the battery system, a fire could start which becomes a safety issue as those types of fires can burn either very hot or for a long time. Further to that, it can be difficult to suppress the fire and might require specialized equipment to do so.

Speaking of Rimac, excellent example to highlighting why this a concern for ASN. Richard Hammond from Top Gear/Grand Tour crashed one last season and it caught fire. IIRC it took several DAYS to put out the fire since it kept re-igniting from the cells inside the battery packs.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Magner said:

Speaking of Rimac, excellent example to highlighting why this a concern for ASN. Richard Hammond from Top Gear/Grand Tour crashed one last season and it caught fire. IIRC it took several DAYS to put out the fire since it kept re-igniting from the cells inside the battery packs.

This I think was part of bringing the issue to light.

To be fair though, that was an extreme accident.. The car went tumbling off a cliff and rolled several times... That sort of thing wouldn't happen at an autox event.

23 minutes ago, Brian_Earl_Spilner said:

To be fair though, that was an extreme accident.. The car went tumbling off a cliff and rolled several times... That sort of thing wouldn't happen at an autox event.

We are still bound by what ASN decides and what insurance will cover...which means we have to cover ourselves and stay out of the grey area for now.

From those rules I would conclude that a car with a LiFePO4 battery starter battery would be ok.   It is not a hybrid, but just has the normal lead-acid/AGM battery taken out and a Lithium iron Phosphate battery installed.

" The LiFePO4 batteries are the safest type of Lithium batteries as they will not overheat, and even if punctured they will not catch on fire. The cathode material in LiFePO4 batteries is not hazardous, and so poses no negative health hazards or environmental hazards. "

https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/battery-articles/lithium-battery-overview.html

Since that is not providing the motive power it is exempt.

On 24/04/2018 at 3:11 PM, Shawn said:

Hey everyone,

We have made a change to the 2018 Supplemental Regulations for Autoslalom regarding the use of electric and/or hybrid vehicles that have lithium based battery systems. ASN Canada is currently working on a policy statement regarding electric vehicles and hybrid vehicles with lithium based battery systems . Until the policy has been finalized all such vehicles are EXCLUDED from competition.

Link to the relevant ASN reg please -- I have looked and cannot find it.

54 minutes ago, Jim Eh. said:

Since that is not providing the motive power it is exempt.

So that means we can use a LiFePO4 starter battery?

As far as the notice went I believe it only had to do with traction motor power supply batteries. I don't think there was any mention of starting batteries.

And since it is unlikely any motorhome with a 4000W inverter system with a bazzilion amp hr. battery bank will be on any race course any time soon, I think it would be safe to say it is. After all they don't exclude wet cell batteries which have hazards all their own.

Going further it would also be safe to say any fusion generator system would also be excluded.

Yeah, my understanding is that the new rule is for traction batteries only, or as Jim (Krank) put it, batteries that provide "motive" power. Nothing is preventing anyone from using a lithium battery as a substitute for your regular 12V car starter battery. AFAIK they are also not planning to outlaw lithium batteries in your phone, laptop, camera, key fob, remote control, hearing aid, etc. etc. :P

At least that is my understanding. Hopefully the ASN clarification will use clear wording.

7 hours ago, MurrayPeterson said:

Link to the relevant ASN reg please -- I have looked and cannot find it.

See above:

On 2018-04-24 at 4:11 PM, Shawn said:

ASN Canada is currently working on a policy statement regarding electric vehicles and hybrid vehicles with lithium based battery systems.