Sign in to follow this  
DKemp

Broken bleeder screw

So this happened a while ago and now it's time to fix it.

TaDM0HI.jpg?1

Tr8IVmS.jpg?1

I took it to one shop and they tried to weld a nut to the left over stuck piece but they didn't have any luck.  I did some online searching and this seems to happen a fair amount with these Brembo's.  Anyone have any tips of getting this out?  Anyone know any shops that would be skilled enough to get this out without destroying the caliper?

I found a place that would sell me one caliper but it was close to $400!  Don't really want to go down that road.

And it's a passenger side rear from a 2005 ish sti if anyone has one lying around that they aren't using :P

A couple of years ago Standard Machine Works at 660 St Matthews Ave were able to do exactly this for me on a Jaguar XK8 brake caliper. I took them a new bleed screw as well and they were able to get the broken one out and also ensured the new one seated correctly. I had no problems with the caliper afterwards and I was able to melt brake pads again Time Attacking the Jaguar.

• Like 1

Try cutting a shallow slot in the stud with a zip disc and turning it out with a flat screwdriver?

34 minutes ago, XK8 said:

A couple of years ago Standard Machine Works at 660 St Matthews Ave were able to do exactly this for me on a Jaguar XK8 brake caliper. I took them a new bleed screw as well and they were able to get the broken one out and also ensured the new one seated correctly. I had no problems with the caliper afterwards and I was able to melt brake pads again Time Attacking the Jaguar.

Standard has fixed several parts for me for cash on the side with good result as well. 

15 hours ago, Mat said:

Try cutting a shallow slot in the stud with a zip disc and turning it out with a flat screwdriver?

This.

Dremel a notch in the busted screw and get a flathead in there. Works every time.

20 hours ago, Mat said:

I would add to use lots of heat (torch) when you're going to turn it out with the flat screwdriver. 

Thanks for all the tips. A very generous forum member has offered to get this out for me. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for good news

Sorry @Shawn gonna give you a bit of a head start this year. Won’t be making it out this weekend

1 hour ago, DKemp said:

Sorry @Shawn gonna give you a bit of a head start this year. Won’t be making it out this weekend

That's okay, I might be running on my winters...or maybe I'll throw on the 3 year old summers. These damn over night freezing temps are keeping me from putting the good tires on.