Permanent numbers

Considering semi-permanent vinyl numbers for the car. Anybody have experience with this? I don’t street the car much anymore but I know in Edmonton it used to be illegal to drive with race numbers on your car. Is it illegal here? I can imagine it attracts some attention, not sure it is worth it. Thoughts?

I made a roundel with a number on it out of vinyl magnetic material. Stick it on the car door for racing, peel it off for the drive home. I got the magnetic material at a sign shop, but I can't remember where. It was about 1/16" thick.

Alternatively you could attach permanent numbers to your door and hide them with a vinyl magnet painted to match the car. Peel off the magnet when you are ready to race. Cover the number for the drive home.

2 hours ago, Corey said:

Fiberglass doors on the Vette. :/

I should have clarified that, thanks Corey. The only place that I can find that does the reusable vinyl peel and sticks is in the USA. Was wondering what kind of experiences people had driving around with numbers on their car? 

Ive been running with said semi permanent vinyl numbers for the past  coulple years since my ’restickable’  numbers gave it up, and I’ve not had any problems. But them my car is about as shouty as a chevy malibou. 

16 hours ago, cboettch said:

88EFE16A-8C62-45CB-866F-B0E9A5F68057.jpeg

Were these restickies?

They were,  and from Solo Performance as well. They are done now, and I either need more or get some semi-permanent vinyls done.  The last few events I had to use blue painters tape on the edges to keep them on. I forgot your Malibu runs numbers, maybe my Cavalier can get away with it as well. Worst case I take them off and revert back to Solo Performance I guess. 

17 hours ago, Jim Eh. said:

I would assume the"stick" would not last all that long if removed often.

They lasted almost 2 full seasons. The corners started coming up though, and I had to remember detailing spray and microfibre to remove dust. Not an easy feat at my age. That, and when it rained I couldn't get numbers on. Hmmm...vinyls would take away one fair weather racer excuse...maybe I should rethink this. lol

I see no reason why a door number would be any different than a bumper sticker (as far as the law goes). It's not like they are obstructing your view. Similar to a work truck with a decal, IMO. On the other hand it might attract some unwanted attention. I imagine if you were pulled over for even a minor infraction, those numbers are not going to help you plead your innocence.

Suggestion - if you're going to leave them on all year including street driving, maybe add your class (req'd for nats anyway) and maybe our club logo and/or website? That way it looks more like a promo than just a door number. And you never know, you might inspire some kid who loves corvettes to look up wscc.mb.ca and come try the sport. Double check the rulebook regarding what's allowed right above/below/near the numbers and class.

17 hours ago, Beau said:

I see no reason why a door number would be any different than a bumper sticker (as far as the law goes). It's not like they are obstructing your view. Similar to a work truck with a decal, IMO. On the other hand it might attract some unwanted attention. I imagine if you were pulled over for even a minor infraction, those numbers are not going to help you plead your innocence.

Suggestion - if you're going to leave them on all year including street driving, maybe add your class (req'd for nats anyway) and maybe our club logo and/or website? That way it looks more like a promo than just a door number. And you never know, you might inspire some kid who loves corvettes to look up wscc.mb.ca and come try the sport. Double check the rulebook regarding what's allowed right above/below/near the numbers and class.

Great ideas. Was planning the class as well and the full 114, then I just cross the first '1' out when the tire warmer (likely me) is driving. Do we have any WSCC decals anywhere? Would Robbie have them? I have the WAS decal on a c-pillar, but nothing explicitly WSCC. 

Oh and thanks for the pic @cboettch, stole a copy. :D