Sign in to follow this  
white_cross

Ecoboost swap parts car Celica

Hey guys,

On Friday a good friend and I started a project we had been planning since My wife and I moved to our new place. I had to pull the car cover off of my 1972 parts car to move it to the new shop on our new property. I was out side looking at the parts car thought how about a low budget autocross car. I texted my friend and said "how about a race car out of my parts car". His reply: "Then we need to put a 302 into it" He is a ford mechanic. I said sounds good. 

So for the last couple of months we have been talking different ideas for the build, but each having our own car and truck projects already (he is building a 1951 Merc grain truck onto a newer f250 truck frame with its motor and suspension making a tonne of hp)  never had time to actually do anything with our race car. He had a wrecked 2015 Ecoboost Mustang write off he bought. He was going to put all the 2015 mustang Goodies into his Fox Body Mustang. One day he said if our race car was 1600 lbs and we threw all the eco boost stuff into it it would be a riot! and so it began. 

The car is a budget build so cosmetics are not a priority. If it makes it fast on a budget then it is a winner for the car. This means using what we can find for free or cheap or repurposing stuff we have. The rough dead line for this build is not this summer but next summer where we can put more time in to the build next winter. So updates are going to be a while for one to the next.  I had to smile at how light the car is. We could literally slide it side ways in the garage by lifting it with our hands and sliding it over no floor jack needed. I could not stop smiling on Friday while we were working on the car!

Here is the Part one of this build:

Thanks for checking out our build.

Edited by white_cross
video now shows up in post

With the amount you guys cut sheet metal and the cost of cutting disks these days, a good used plazma torch would pay for itself. ;)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jim Eh. said:

With the amount you guys cut sheet metal and the cost of cutting disks these days, a good used plazma torch would pay for itself. ;)

sure would be nice!

Here is part 3 of the build: 

On Friday we got together to finish fabricating and installing the Riverside subframe connector. It came out really well and is super strong. Was a bit of a challenge welding the heavy gauge steel upside down on my back.

On 2018-04-08 at 12:10 PM, TRDTurko said:

another ambitious build... good luck 

Thanks. Our goal is to race it next season and build it over next winter time.