The beginners guide to Time Attack

Ianfromduff

What is Time Attack

Time Attack is a fastest lap competition on a real racetrack, using everything from street-driven cars to full-blown race cars. The competition is against the clock, with the aim being to record the fastest lap.

Will kind of car should i bring?

The nice part about our Time Attack series is that essentially any type of car can compete! From completely stock economy cars to fully prepped race cars, we have a place for you. The only main requirement is that the vehicle must be at least as wide as as it is tall. Please note this prohibits most trucks and SUVs from competing.

What mods and maintenance do i need for my car?

We require you to check over all safety and mechanical aspects on your car as per our tech sheet. It is vital to ensure your car is safe before ensuring it is fast.

Also, using a high quality brake fluid suitable for high temperatures is a good idea, however, it is not a requirement, for example, we run Motul 600 in our cars because it's cheap, vastly available, and has never let us down. You may also find that a higher quality brake pad may benefit you on the track, however, we have many people who come out with all OEM equipment and have no problems with it, the best way to test this is at the HPDE school (more on that later). Other than that whatever you want to do is up too you! Keep it bone stock or go crazy. That's the best part of time attack, you can go as mild or wild as you'd like.

But if i bring out my bone stock 1991 d15 civic wont i be at a disadvantage?

Not if your a good driver! We run PAX style classing. In a nutshell, this style of classing promotes driving skill instead of car performance. Cars are assigned a class based on the amount of “pips” they accumulate from all aspects and modifications done to the car. This PAX factor will then be applied to a competitors lap times. For a lower classed car this will result in lower lap times while the opposite is true for higher classed cars. In theory, if you had a perfect driver race a Geo Metro and a Mclarren P1 around the track the lap times would differ dramatically! But, after applying the PAX modifying factor the times would be identical.

What do i need for safety?

At a bare minimum you're required to have a certified helmet, long pants, and closed toes shoes. Cars with aftermarket seats, roll cages, or/and harnesses have a more specific rule set that must be followed. The entire rule book can can be found here: http://www.asncanada.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/2017_ASN_Time_Attack_Regulations_Final.pdf

How much track time can I expect at an event?

New to 2018 time attack will be ran on both Saturday and Sunday. We encourage all participants to race both days but will not discourage those who choose to or can only race only one. Over the weekend there will be 8 timed sessions and 1 practice session which occur at the beginning of Saturday. Each session consists of 1 warm up lap, 5-7 hot laps, and one cool down lap. You will have about a half hour between sessions to let the car cool and work on it. Out of the two days, your fastest lap time will be used to calculate your championship points, even if you only attend one day.

So how do I get started?

First things first, you will need a Solosport License or Race License. To receive a Solosport licence you will have to attend a certified HPDE school. The WSCC holds our HPDE school at the beginning of each race season. At the school you will receive hands on training and track experience from some of our most experience racers in the club. At the end of the HPDE you will have to pass a written exam (don't worry, it's easy). The HPDE registry is currently open! We suggest registering ASAP as it usually sells out quick. Once this is all completed you can then apply for WCMA Solosport license! This can be done at https://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/event/event.requirements/uidEvent/E67C144B-BB52-D195-16048E1E2229884B

-At the same time you will also need a WSCC membership.This can also be acquired at www.motorsportreg.com and searching “WSCC annual membership”.

Great! I got my license and membership! Now what?

Awesome work! Now we can get onto the fun part; car classing and numbers. In order to class your car you’ll need to go to http://ccdb.casc.on.ca/ and sign up for an account, when registering, please us the format “name.WSCC” for your username (ex. Brooke.WSCC). Using that format allows us to identify our club members apart from the Ontario Time Attack racers. From there just follow the instructions to get a class for your car. For a video tutorial check out the following video 

Also new to 2018, all time attack cars now require numbers. These can be permanent decals, magnetic stick on\s, painters tape, or really anything as long as the numbers are easily visible on both sides of the vehicle. You can register your unique number at https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/wcma-2018-car-classing-number-reservation-licenses-western-canada-543125  If you will be doing permanent decals we recommend following the WCMA guidelines:

1. Racing numbers are applied only as follows:

a. Primary Location

i. One (1) number must be on the front hood of Touring cars and on the nose of on Sports Racers and open wheel cars ii.

ii. One (1) number must be on each side of the car positioned on the body above an imaginary line running through the center line of the wheels.                  Open wheel cars may vary this location, however, side numbers shall in no way be partially or completely obscured by the vehicle's wheels.

iii. Size for Primary Location

2. The numbers must be at least ten (10) inches high on Touring cars and eight (8) inches high on Sports Racers and open wheel cars.

3. The minimum width of stroke of all numbers is two (2) inches.

b. Secondary Location

i. On touring cars a racing number must be placed on the rear of the car on a vertical surface

ii. Size for Secondary Location

4. The numbers must be at least Five (5) inches high on Touring cars and Four (4) inches high on Sports Racers and open wheel cars.

5. The minimum width of stroke of all numbers is one (1) inches. c. Colour i. The numbers must be in a solid colour, ii. The numbers must be on a solid background of a significantly contrasting colour.

1. Black numbers on white background is preferred and recommended. iv. Metallic or other highly reflective numbers are not permitted.

Okay, I'm finally done your tedious list. When do i get to race?

Congratulations! Your all set up for time attack! Your now eready to sign up for events. All our events are registered online through www.motorsportreg.com. Just search for WSCC and you’ll get a list of events. We ask you pay online as this keeps things running mcuh smoother on race morning. When you arrive at the track make sure you bring your tech inspection form all filled out, the registrar will require this upon registration in the morning: (http://www.asncanada.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/ASN_SoloSport_Tech_Self_Insp_Form.pdf). Arrive a bit early so you can get registered. Please note vehicles will roll cages will require a inspection at the track. Also, drivers meetings are mandatory and are held each day before the races begin, if you are not present, you won't be racing.

What how about more info on the championship?

We have two types of championships; race weekend championship and WSCC Time Attack Series Championship.

-Race weekend championships are for each race weekend of the year, showing 1st, 2nd, 3rd (with PAX factor), and fastest lap (before PAX factor). These are mostly for bragging rights with no trophies being handed out. Depending on circumstances their may be prizes or contingency awards but these are dependant on finding sponsors.

-The WSCC Time Attack Series Championship is our season championship. It is based off a drivers total accumulated points from the best 4/5 events from the year. Drivers placing 1st, 2nd, and 3rd will be eligible for championship trophies handed out at our end of year awards ceremony. Everyone will clap and cheer and throw roses (*rose throwing is not a guarantee*). We also award fastest lap of the year (before PAX factors) and rookie of the year.

That's about all we have for now. If you have any unanswered questions, concerns, or are just lonely and want to talk please feel free to contact us either through the forums Ianfromduff or Sciontist__ , or E-mail brooke.tuchscherer@gmail.com. We look forward to seeing you all at the track!

Ian & Brooke

Edited by sciontist__
Added links
  • Thanks 2