2018 Time Attack Changes

Ianfromduff

My name is Ian Stecyk and my fiancee Brooke Tuchscherer i have been honoured in taking over as time attack dirrectors for next year. Huge thanks to Darin and Sara for priviously taking over the duties and also to the help they provided in getting us started.

We are making a couple changes to the 2018 season. Probably the biggest change we will see is............ TIME ATTACK ON SATURDAY AND SUNDAY!!!!! The format will remain the same for Saturdays but for those wishing to compete on Sundays as well can very well do so although his does not require you to compete both days to collect points for the championship. Since this is Time Attack we only score off your fastest lap of the weekend. Prices remain the same for 1 day at $120 but 2 days will cost you mere $200!                                                                     

For 2017 car numbers will also become mandatory during competition. Its way to difficult for the workers to try to memorise drivers name and leads to a ton of confusion where they just refer to cars as their brand. We understand that some of you have street cars and dont want to start putting decals on them, in this case we ask that you use masking tape or window markers to list a number. Heck, im sure you could even find magnetic stick on numbers online that you can reuse over and over again. We are currently working on a way to register numbers online so you can pick your own numbers and keep them thruout the year. Im thinking about sharing the road racers number registry so we dont have time attack cars with the same number as road race cars. For those of you who want permanent decals this is the WCMA preferred layout...

1. Racing numbers are applied only as follows:

a. Primary Location

i. One (1) number must be on the front hood of Touring cars and on the nose of on Sports Racers and open wheel cars ii.

One (1) number must be on each side of the car positioned on the body above an imaginary line running through the center line of the wheels. Open wheel cars may vary this location, however, side numbers shall in no way be partially or completely obscured by the vehicle's wheels.

iii. Size for Primary Location

1. The numbers must be at least ten (10) inches high on Touring cars and eight (8) inches high on Sports Racers and open wheel cars.

2. The minimum width of stroke of all numbers is two (2) inches.

b. Secondary Location

i. On touring cars a racing number must be placed on the rear of the car on a vertical surface

ii. Size for Secondary Location

1. The numbers must be at least Five (5) inches high on Touring cars and Four (4) inches high on Sports Racers and open wheel cars.

2. The minimum width of stroke of all numbers is one (1) inches. c. Colour i. The numbers must be in a solid colour, ii. The numbers must be on a solid background of a significantly contrasting colour.

iii. Black numbers on white background is preferred and recommended. iv. Metallic or other highly reflective numbers are not permitted.

The last change we will be incorporating is a minor safety addition to our regulations regarding the combinations of seats, belts, and cages. I will attach a picture at the bottom. Please disregard the SNELL M2005 column as i believe we all must use SNELL SA helmets at a minimum.

With all that being said we plan on keeping everything similar to 2017. We will absolutely be keeping the PAX scoring system as this provided an even and competitive playing field. We will be keeping the championship points format with the best 4/5 event points accumulating to the season championship. We will also have race weekend championships with a clear 1st, 2nd, 3rd and fastest lap winners. 

Im definitely looking for any input from past/current racers on other changes or ideas to the program! 

ps also looking for sponsors and contingency programs to bring to the event. If you have some suggestions of brands/companies to contact that would be greatly appriciated.

seatandbeltrequirments.png

• 2 weeks later...

If it is possible, Timing and Scoring would like to see the masking tape car number match the transponder rental number. If you own your transponder we'll associate it with your permanent season number. We believe it would make the results more meaningful.

7 hours ago, wscc_1254 said:

If it is possible, Timing and Scoring would like to see the masking tape car number match the transponder rental number. If you own your transponder we'll associate it with your permanent season number. We believe it would make the results more meaningful.

The only problem with this is we have cars with permanent numbers who also rent transponders. This would create issues where cars either have 2 different numbers on them or we make them take off the permanent decals and replace them with tape decals which I'm sure the drivers won't be happy about. 

9 hours ago, wscc_1254 said:

We previously had names instead of transponder numbers on the sheets/mylaps. Why the change?

Is it a time constraint? Software issue?

It is mostly a time crunch issue - we know who is preregistered but there seems to be quite a few show up on Saturday morning. We found it quicker just to assign the rental number to the car for timing purposes. We can handle pre numbered cars using a rental transponder fairly easily. We are trying to get the transponders to the track on Friday as well as preassign rental transponders after the Wednesday online registration closure.

13 hours ago, wscc_1254 said:

It is mostly a time crunch issue - we know who is preregistered but there seems to be quite a few show up on Saturday morning. We found it quicker just to assign the rental number to the car for timing purposes. We can handle pre numbered cars using a rental transponder fairly easily. We are trying to get the transponders to the track on Friday as well as preassign rental transponders after the Wednesday online registration closure.

This unfortunately didn't work well last year, for the competitor and specifically not the directors trying to calculate points.

Archived