Event #16 Sept 17

justkickin

Great racing this weekend! Great job on the back-to-back wins Curtis. In my worst Paul Walker impression, "I almost had you" lol

It was a cold weekend but everybody was smiling and having a good time. I will be honest Shawn, like the south end of todays course better than yesterdays. I really do appreciate you giving us 8 runs at the big slalom. It wasn't until my seventh and eighth runs where I even got close to maximizing my speed through it. That sweeper today was great. Was awesome seeing all those drivers in heat 2 stop braking and just lifting to get through it. 

Here are the videos of Chris and I from today. I am including my last run, although coned away it was a fun drive and likely my best run of the year. So cones be damned, enjoy! On my second run I apparently took lessons from Curtis yesterday and had a big wiggle stay in the box! 

Chris Run 2 68.248

Tim fastest clean 67.021

Tim fastest scratch 65.957 (2 cones) 

Had a great battle with Dale on Sunday. I hope he posts a video of his fourth run when he took the lead from me, which I didn't know about as I ran immediately after him so he was still on course when I started my run. I wonder if he was as excited as I was (as you will see at the end of my video) thinking I had the win. However, there might be a classing change that will affect Mixed and Mod result. I will post details once it is finalized.

I hinted at it in my post above but just to make sure it does not get buried, there will be a classing change for the S2000 that Dan and Rob were driving. It was in classed in Mixed but should have been in Modified and further to that it was in SM-S but needs to move to either XP-S or EM-S. This change will affect points for Mixed and may affect points for Modified depending on what class the car moves to.

Still waiting for some details to make the proper move but it's going to be a few days as I am in Mississauga now and changes need to be made from the timing laptop and I am not back until Friday. Once it is all finalized I will post here.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I appreciate the videos everyone  posted for event #16 and, aside from having an instructor ride alongside, these are the next best learning tools.  I go through each video and compare the driving lines, steering inputs, hand position etc. between the various drivers.  Sure, everyone has there own style but typically there are common driving techniques that show up and these are the ones I key on and try and learn from.

Shawn, I really thought your video capture was awesome in that it not only showed driving technique but you could also see speed and RPM instrument displays as well gear shift inputs.  Did you realize you hit 102 kph going through the south end sweeper?  Did you even lift?  Gad, I think I braked for that gate on my first run and probably went through at 80 kph.

Also enjoyed watching your hand position going through both pivots - one hand on the shifter and the other hand palming the steering wheel... interesting.  Mind you, the apex cornering speed was over 30 kph (not to shabby) so maybe this is something I should try?

Now, if we could only get rid of that big smiley face in the rear view mirror, we would have the perfect video!

1 hour ago, Brian Wiebe said:

Also enjoyed watching your hand position going through both pivots - one hand on the shifter and the other hand palming the steering wheel... interesting.  Mind you, the apex cornering speed was over 30 kph (not to shabby) so maybe this is something I should try?

Ideally you want to downshift during braking into the pivot (straight line), have the car in gear set for the corner and both hands steering and shift accelerating out of the corner. it’s not ideal to have one hand on the shifter through the corner. If your having to shift part way through the corner, your usually better off not down shifting imo, and if you end up hot into the corner or with oversteer your scrambling for the wheel to counter it. 

The audi is a luxobarge, and the captain (Shaun) is sailing it. He can get away with the one hand steering like that as at low speeds the Audi doesn’t oversteer, but tends to understeer which is easy to control/modulate with the throttle, which he obviously is used to. 

Yeah my driving mechanics should not be followed by anyone and should be seen as "what not to do". I can't heal-toe very well at the best of times, and in my car I find it near impossible which means I have to do my shift while going slow, which puts me in the pivot. It really is just crappy driving. I've thought of a pedal extension for the throttle but I am not sure that would really help any...I am 99.9% sure it's just the loose nut behind the wheel.

I really need a Test and Tune with a figure 8 that I can just practice pivots.

The interior shot is great for me to see what I am doing in the car and how fast I am going seeing as I don't have and data acquisition. But it does highlight my poor driving techniques.

Joe,

I'm new to Autoslalom; this is my first year but I'm really enjoying the experience and meeting some great people. Our paths haven't crossed yet ... maybe Sunday I'll get a chance to introduce myself.  I've really enjoyed your posts on the Forum this year and I can't believe how much insight you've provided on the videos. Obviously you can pick up on subtle, yet important, driving techniques that most of us would miss.  Your comment about Shawn being the captain of a "luxobarge" was hilarious!

Joe, thanks again for the suggestions on how to properly set up and navigate through a pivot turn.  

And Shawn, sorry to have provided an opening for Joe to poke some fun.  You can have some revenge tomorrow by co-driving the snot out my Focus RS and showing Joe how it's really done.  And of course, there will be no video.

Archived