Gimli 2017 (Event #12)

So looking at the schedule on Motorsportsreg, this seems kind of whacked. Gate opens and check-in at 10am, then a break for lunch, and finally at 1:30 the runs begin? 3 and half hours after check-in? Seems like such a waste of time. If we're at the far end of the runway, what we do has no bearing on what the road racers do. Why such a massive delay?

Gate opens

10:00 AM

Check in and late registration

10:00 AM - 11:00 AM

Course open to walk

11:00 AM - 11:45 AM

Rookie meeting and course walk

11:15 AM – 11:45 AM

Drivers meeting

11:45 AM – 12:00 PM

Lunch

12:00 PM - 1:00 PM

First run group starts

1:30 PM

Second run group starts

3:00 PM

Wrap up meeting and teardown

4:30 – 5:00 PM

There are a couple of issues we have to deal with. The first is that all access to our site is dictated by the racing going on and there could be significant delays for people getting across the track once they enter the gate. The second issue that our only access to the food vendor is during the 12-1 break. Last time we missed that window and we didn't get food because we tried to do our normal routine of racing heat 1, break for lunch then running heat 2. By the time we finished heat 1 it was almost 1pm and the food truck had already left.

So this time we are going to ensure everyone can get food and then get back in time to get their cars warmed up and the marshals out to their stations. As this weekend is the Vintage weekend I have been told it is very busy and we are the group that is cut off from the pits during the racing so when the last road race of the morning finishes and we get the all clear to cross the track, we will be the last ones to get to the food truck. Not knowing now long everything will take and not wanting to be late on proposed times the above schedule is what I came up with.

Maybe we will have everyone back and ready to race before 1:30. 

I apologize for the event timing and I will see how we can refine it in the coming season. It is hard to predict how much time we need to carry out each part of our day especially without knowing what sort of crowd we are going to get. Being out in Gimli it was suggested having the later start time. We also were trying to get the secondary entrance working but it is just too damaged from big equipment. Maybe next year it will be a viable option which would allow us to operate more independently.

My first event at Gimli (ever)..  really liked how the course was laid out, kudos to the designer(s).  Learned a bit more about my car, like how much grip I don't have on pavement compared to the concrete I drove on last weekend.

Nice driving Corey, you make it look easy. 

Here is my first run.  Only one that I turned the camera on for.  No video of my second run where my fender liner got ripped out unfortunately.  This run's a DNF right at the end.

Really fun course though!

28 minutes ago, DKemp said:

@dark_daku89  

It sure doesn't feel flat from inside! haha

It has whiteline sway bars front and rear with solid end links.  Front sti strut bar.  BC Racing coilovers.  Some other kind of brace under the engine that was there when I bought the car

How do you like the BC racing coilovers? I'm running on stock struts with swift springs, need to upgrade soon. 

Somewhat off topic, my interior camera (Hero5 Black) is really shitty for overexposing the picture. I never had the issue with my old Hero2. I have tried a couple different settings and I wonder if I just got a dud of a camera. Anyone else running this camera and have any suggestions? I will post my video later and you'll see what I mean. On a related note, my exterior cameras (Hero4 sessions) both have broken glass. They first were cracked after the 2nd event this year and one of them continues to fracture. In fact in my one video you can see where it cracks even more. I have 2 new lenses on order and should arrive Friday but I want to find a way to protect the new glass. I know my placement makes the camera a prime target for stones and there doesn't seem to be a really good protector out there.

1 hour ago, dark_daku89 said:

How do you like the BC racing coilovers? I'm running on stock struts with swift springs, need to upgrade soon. 

They seem good for the money.  I've only had them on for two events.  They are quite stiff for daily driving.  I've definitely shaved a pile of time off my runs since changing my tires and switching to coilovers 2 events ago

Awesome course yesterday, really well thought out and challenging, the extra runway width made all the difference, really enjoyed those 180 pivots as challenging as they were. The amount of dust/grass and slope of the runway kept things interesting. Looking forward to more Gimli events in the future. 

Hope you car will be okay for the next event Dale, looking good out there!

My best one:

Looks like a great event and a great course. Sad I missed it. Ten hours long day is hard to do though  

Chris- you guys need more tire in the rear and that proves it. You cant get on the power early enough. If Curtis was clean the grip difference would have been equal to the time difference in pax... it's only evident in consistent sweepers which isn't as much an issue at St. Andrews. Seems stable in quick transitions. 

Karl - thanks!  The little yellow rocketship/car takes the credit though; it's crazy quick.  Pretty fun too!  :)  The MX5 looks awesome and sounds fun to drive!  

What a great day at the track!  Good people, good site, fun racing.  It was fun hearing the close battles all through the grid.  I'm uploading my 3rd and 4th runs, as they were just 0.002 seconds apart but felt totally different.  Weird. 

Watching the videos; my shift to 1st in the middle of the course was pointless, but the car bogged badly on the 1st run.  Clearly I carried more speed in later runs and didn't adjust.  Who can tear these apart further and tell me how to get faster for SCCA Nationals?  Joe?  Just 2 weeks until Mark and I are in Lincoln!  

3rd run:

4th run:

I'm glad I made it out, it was a fun day!

I really missed racing. I really need to get a properly sorted car out so I can fully enjoy my day. Here's a 15 second summary of what my day was like:

I liked the big half circle of cones with the crest in the middle, that took me a few tries to not totally screw up.

Have we had a camera equipment discussion thread in the last couple years? I'd be interested in hearing what people have and what they think of it.

Here is my inside camera shot. You will see how terrible some of the exposure is...sometimes the cones just disappear. I have to post up the outside views as on my last run I tag 2 cones in the chutes that somehow stay in the boxes. I notices too for those in the second run group and posting 3rd and 4th runs that the very first cone in the first chute is outside of it's box (edit: it's in the box but not centered). I told stop about it on my 3rd run but it never got fixed. That is one of the cones I hit and it must have JUST been touching the box after I was done with it. That messed my line up a bit and got the first cones in the second chute...but it too stayed in the box.

On 8/21/2017 at 4:43 PM, MRS Joe said:

Looks like a great event and a great course. Sad I missed it. Ten hours long day is hard to do though  

Chris- you guys need more tire in the rear and that proves it. You cant get on the power early enough. If Curtis was clean the grip difference would have been equal to the time difference in pax... it's only evident in consistent sweepers which isn't as much an issue at St. Andrews. Seems stable in quick transitions. 

Nice observation, yes we do.. we are on a relatively narrow tire at 265 in the rear (stock is 295, some go as high as 335 in AS) but I think another thing you aren't seeing is my throttle trace, I could be heck of a lot smoother on my applications, I still drive like I'm in 100whp neon sometimes, that doesn't work with this beast (most of the time)

Nice run Corey, but I caught you lift your left hand to shuffle the wheel in the far sweeper, time to super glue a left glove to the wheel? :P

Warning to Corey: whining post coming up ;)

Sunday's event made me realize how much I miss autox! It's so fun and I want to be a regular again so bad... but it also reminded me why I don't come out much anymore. Yes, the surface at Gimli is better than St. Andrews, but still not good enough. The R8's magnetic shocks automatically stiffen when driving aggressively and this caused the bumps to be especially noticeable. Note the bump here causing the oversteer:

I hope one day we'll get a good venue again, but until then I am going to have to say that our available surfaces just aren't good enough, at least for me.

Having said that, kudos to Shawn for doing the best with what he has - the event ran smoothly and he was out there cutting weeds while everyone else was doing course walks. That is dedication. :clap2:

Definitely a fun course, I do agree with Nish on the tarmac quality though. I unfortunately blew a front strut during the course of the event. Those large gaps in the concrete were quite hard on the loaded outside suspension. 

Competition was quite close and I coned away my last run, here it is though:

Benjamin,

I enjoyed your 15 second summary of how your day went. Someone in the car was certainly having a hoot at how many cones you knocked over in the first chute.  From my perspective, as a course worker, I could've sworn you did it deliberately to get us off our butts and get some exercise in resetting the cones. Nice job!

Your comment about camera equipment made me wish I had an in-car camera to show how I went around the south sweeper counter-clockwise instead of clockwise. The look on the course workers faces was priceless. The camera would've also caught my co-driver Chris waving his arms frantically, pointing in the opposite direction to where I was going. We would've needed to edit the audio however for family viewing.

I'm interested in purchasing an action camera to capture some of my antics but, like you, couldn't find any posts in the forum discussing this topic.  I'm assuming the current lineup of GoPro cameras are still the preferred choice but I was looking at Chris Taggar's video with the Garmin Virb camera and was impressed with the clarity and  liked some of the overlay features including course map, accelerometer, and vehicle speed.  I understand some of the newer models can actually tap into the vehicle OBD and get other vehicle parameters such as engine RPM and throttle position.

It would be nice to get some feedback from other members and their recommendations on camera models, features, and mounting adapters. Just read Shawn's comments about problems setting the Hero 5 exposure and how to protect the lens.

I'm new to both Autoslalom and this forum so I'm not sure what would be the best way of setting up camera topic.  Can anyone comment?

8 hours ago, Brian Wiebe said:

I'm interested in purchasing an action camera to capture some of my antics but, like you, couldn't find any posts in the forum discussing this topic.  I'm assuming the current lineup of GoPro cameras are still the preferred choice but I was looking at Chris Taggar's video with the Garmin Virb camera and was impressed with the clarity and  liked some of the overlay features including course map, accelerometer, and vehicle speed.  I understand some of the newer models can actually tap into the vehicle OBD and get other vehicle parameters such as engine RPM and throttle position.

It would be nice to get some feedback from other members and their recommendations on camera models, features, and mounting adapters. Just read Shawn's comments about problems setting the Hero 5 exposure and how to protect the lens.

Just food for thought...Another inexpensive option for video with overlays could be to use something like harry's lap timer (or similar) with your smartphone. Newer software editions can incorporate OBD2/CANBUS data utilizing a BT OBD2 adaptor. I don't know how accurate the GPS will be with a narrow circuit. Perhaps others will chime in who have tried it with AS.

I am the one in the Genesis. The right strut got significantly worse both in the steering rattling on the data trace and listening to the videos between runs. The left strut also seems a bit iffy now while it was solid before so I'm hoping to replace them both this weekend. 

Brian: if you are looking for something a bit cheaper my video is taken with one of these set to only 720p to reduce file size: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00OAUDF6M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_5mBNzbBZRSXS0

On 2017-08-22 at 6:54 PM, Magner said:

Nice observation, yes we do.. we are on a relatively narrow tire at 265 in the rear (stock is 295, some go as high as 335 in AS) but I think another thing you aren't seeing is my throttle trace, I could be heck of a lot smoother on my applications, I still drive like I'm in 100whp neon sometimes, that doesn't work with this beast (most of the time)

I told you to fix that a few events ago. I thought we were done with you not modulating the throttle. Just modulate and let's move on to the next hurdle :P

22 hours ago, 0206 said:

Definitely a fun course, I do agree with Nish on the tarmac quality though. I unfortunately blew a front strut during the course of the event. Those large gaps in the concrete were quite hard on the loaded outside suspension. 

#koni #bilstein #lifetimewarranty  

22 hours ago, nishanna said:

The R8's magnetic shocks automatically stiffen when driving aggressively and this caused the bumps to be especially noticeable. Note the bump here causing the oversteer

I hope one day we'll get a good venue again, but until then I am going to have to say that our available surfaces just aren't good enough, at least for me.

That may have been my issue at St. Andrews with the R8. 

Solution, Just run the Alero... I bet you can't get that to oversteer. ;) 

On 2017-08-21 at 7:38 PM, Corey said:

I'm uploading my 3rd and 4th runs, as they were just 0.002 seconds apart but felt totally different.  Weird. 

Watching the videos; my shift to 1st in the middle of the course was pointless, but the car bogged badly on the 1st run.  Clearly I carried more speed in later runs and didn't adjust.  Who can tear these apart further and tell me how to get faster for SCCA Nationals?  Joe?  Just 2 weeks until Mark and I are in Lincoln!  

3rd run:

4th run:

This may be all wrong so please take with a grain of salt. I watched each video 3 times. 

The third run you were more aggressive but you weren't looking "through the elements" for the smoothest line and you ended up driving a bit more Point to point based on line and steering inputs. Looking ahead further would have benefitted you here. I think I hear throttle lifts in small sections where you possibly could have either held throttle or tried accelerating.

The fourth run is the opposite. You drove the line and were smoother looking further. Tight to the cones and to the line but you were not aggressive enough with the throttle and your average speed was at 8.5-9/10.  Had you been more liberal on throttle and speed through elements you may have fallen off line or behind and not been looking as far again so it's a tough balance.  

The banana is a buzz box and everything's a blur. :) 

Think to yourself, were you looking at your exit cones/point in the sweepers as you entered it and already looking to the next set. Keeping the speed up out of the sweepers and setting up early into the slaloms easily could net a few 10's  

But what do I know....  I have only done two events this year :P 

Archived