Winnipeg Sports Car Club
Sign in to follow this  
white_cross

Autocross age?

I have a friend who is 17 years old and I have been telling him about my autocross racing. He wants to take his mustang to autocross. What does he need to race in terms of is he to young or does he need his parent to sign a waver/release etc?

Thanks,

I believe he just needs a parent to sign a waver. Don't take my word as law but Tim's son was racing at 16. 

• Like 1

I think as long as they have a valid driver's license and a parent signed the waiver, they can race.

Somewhat related to this topic, is there a minimum age for passengers?

• Like 1

Other note is a letter of permission to use the car (if it's not under his or his spouses name) 

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply guys. Who would know for sure and where do I get a waiver. He wants to come out to the gimli event on the 20th. I would hate to have him drive all that way and not be able to participate. I believe the Mustang is in his name but I will pass the info on to him.

We have the waivers on-site, however I would have to look into what needs to happen if the parent can't be there in person to sign.

@nishanna the minimum age for passengers is 14 years of age and the passenger can only ride along with their parent or legal guardian. 

On August 11, 2017 at 8:27 AM, codewhore said:

We have the waivers on-site, however I would have to look into what needs to happen if the parent can't be there in person to sign.

@nishanna the minimum age for passengers is 14 years of age and the passenger can only ride along with their parent or legal guardian. 

Ok sounds good so if his parent is there to sign the waiver he is good to go. If not then is there a way you could email me the waiver for his parent to sign?

1 hour ago, white_cross said:

Ok sounds good so if his parent is there to sign the waiver he is good to go. If not then is there a way you could email me the waiver for his parent to sign?

This is the document that we use. Note that it the signing of the document must be witnessed by someone who is the age of majority

http://www.asncanada.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/ASN-English-Annual-Parental-Consent-Waiver.pdf

On 8/11/2017 at 8:27 AM, Shawn said:

Interesting. Is that an actual rule or a guideline? I have had numerous passengers under the age of 14 and they weren't my kids lol. Their parent would ask me if they could come along and I always just said sure.

ASN CANADA autoslalom regulations 2017

COMPETITOR ELIGIBILITY

4.1. Eligibility to Participate

1. To be eligible to compete as a driver, a driver must:

1. Hold a current provincial or state Driver’s License (Graduated licenses, where the driver is authorized to drive without another licensed driver being present, are permitted.);

2. To enter a National Autoslalom Championship event, a competitor must hold a competition license (or membership card) issued by ASN Canada FIA or an ASN Territory that grants eligibility for AutoSlalom events, or a Day License issued by the organizing club;

3. Have signed the ASN Canada FIA General Waiver.

2. To be eligible to participate as a passenger, a person must:

1. Have the consent of the organizer;

2. Have signed the ASN Canada FIA General Waiver;

3. Wear personal safety equipment as required for the driver;

4. Keep hands and arms inside the vehicle at all times; 

e. Not carry items such as food, drink, cameras, video recorders, purses, etc.

The items listed above must be presented at the time of event registration and/or scrutineering inspection.

4.2. Underage Drivers

Participants (drivers or passengers) under the age of majority for the province in which the event is taking place must also present both a completed Parental Consent Waiver and a Minor Participant Waiver at event registration.

In addition, minors participating as passengers must:

1. a)  Be at least 14 years old;

2. B) Be in a vehicle being driven by their parent or guardian;

These waivers are available on the ASN Canada FIA web site (www.asncanada.com). 

• Like 1

I emailed Doug Campbell our WCMA National SoloSport Representative yesterday to get clarification because the information on the age and requirement that the parent be the driver is under a section called Underage Drivers. He did confirm that the section should actually be renamed Underage Participants and he will make the request to improve the wording.

I have also requested that this restriction (can only drive with parent/guardian) be lifted entirely. If not entirely I want them to consider when we have a driver who is under the age of majority is entered in a school where they would be a passenger with an instructor (likely not a parent/guardian) as the driver.

So for now, in Manitoba, if you are not 18 years or older, you can only ride with a parent or guardian as the driver.

My understanding on the restriction has to do with our insurance. In Canada use 14 years as the minimum age and US uses 12 years...it's because of the increased potential of injury, particularly neck injuries, in younger (i.e. smaller) passengers wearing heavy helmets in cars making hard transitions. To keep our rates lower we have stricter regulations. I am not sure how the parent/guardian as the driver fits into this though.

Unfortunately in the past we have been ignorant of the rules, which includes me as a guilty party too. So we are now all aware of what the rules are and we will uphold them.

So can a 16 yr old with a beginners license co-drive with a driver who has their full license?

On 8/15/2017 at 7:46 AM, Shawn said:

Unfortunately in the past we have been ignorant of the rules, which includes me as a guilty party too. So we are now all aware of what the rules are and we will uphold them.

That's too bad. The most entertaining passengers I've had have been young people. They are also usually the most appreciative of the experience!

So can he (my 17 year old friend) drive his own car at our events or is he only allowed to be a passenger with one of his parents and not drive till he turns 18? Do his parents have to physically be at the event to sign the waiver or can he bring a signed waiver and can I act as his guardian at the event? Do I have to ride in the car with him while he drives or can he drive on his own? I'm coming with my own car as well. He has his drivers license and can drive on his own. 

I'm getting together with him tonight to tech inspect and class his car so I need to know if he is allowed to drive his own vehicle or not. 

If you read Shawn's response ...

"So for now, in Manitoba, if you are not 18 years or older, you can only ride with a parent or guardian as the driver."

Silly but it is a CYA thing with regards to our broad insurance policy.

A 17 year old can throw around a 4000 lb weapon in heavy traffic with close proximity to other family loaded vans but they are not allowed to drive in a single vehicle race under controlled circumstances. I entirely missed seeing that bubble wrap ...

I take the above as anyone with a graduated license can drive/race provided they meet the requirements of that license. But you must be 18 to RIDE with anyone other than your parent/guardian. 

So 15.5 (or whenever it is you can get your learner's permit) to drive, 18 to ride along. Seems wrong, but that's how I read it. 

'where the driver is authorized to drive without another licensed driver being present, are permitted.'

I Don't think a learners cuts it. 

Graduated yes, learners no. 

Posted (edited)

in other words you have to have demonstrated to a government official that you can operate a motor vehicle safely to race. makes sense.

karts must fall under a different rule set though, because don't children race karts at sanctioned events?

Edited by TRDTurko

9 minutes ago, TRDTurko said:

in other words you have to have demonstrated to a government official that you can operate a motor vehicle safely to race. makes sense.

karts must fall under a different rule set though, because don't children race karts at sanctioned events?

No karts of any kinds are allowed in autocross under the Canadian ASN rules. 

My understanding reading the above is if you can drive on the road alone, you can race. However if your license requires you to have a chaperone or whatever, no racing.

Also, must be 18 to ride along with anyone other than a parent/guardian as mentioned above.

2 minutes ago, Magner said:

No karts of any kinds are allowed in autocross under the Canadian ASN rules. 

oh thats right, there was debate about getting karts included in Canada like the states does

On August 13, 2017 at 11:36 PM, Shawn said:

This is the document that we use. Note that it the signing of the document must be witnessed by someone who is the age of majority

http://www.asncanada.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/ASN-English-Annual-Parental-Consent-Waiver.pdf

On August 15, 2017 at 7:46 AM, Shawn said:

I emailed Doug Campbell our WCMA National SoloSport Representative yesterday to get clarification because the information on the age and requirement that the parent be the driver is under a section called Underage Drivers. He did confirm that the section should actually be renamed Underage Participants and he will make the request to improve the wording.

I have also requested that this restriction (can only drive with parent/guardian) be lifted entirely. If not entirely I want them to consider when we have a driver who is under the age of majority is entered in a school where they would be a passenger with an instructor (likely not a parent/guardian) as the driver.

So for now, in Manitoba, if you are not 18 years or older, you can only ride with a parent or guardian as the driver.

My understanding on the restriction has to do with our insurance. In Canada use 14 years as the minimum age and US uses 12 years...it's because of the increased potential of injury, particularly neck injuries, in younger (i.e. smaller) passengers wearing heavy helmets in cars making hard transitions. To keep our rates lower we have stricter regulations. I am not sure how the parent/guardian as the driver fits into this though.

13 hours ago, Nhil said:

My understanding reading the above is if you can drive on the road alone, you can race. However if your license requires you to have a chaperone or whatever, no racing.

Also, must be 18 to ride along with anyone other than a parent/guardian as mentioned above.

Neil This is my understanding too.  Shawn are you only referring to ride alongs portion of th rules when you talk about "only ride with a parent or guardian" . but he could still race his car if he brings the signed waiver by his parents and has his license that allows him to drive on his own? Or are you saying he can only ride with his parent and not race till he is 18?

On 8/18/2017 at 7:40 AM, white_cross said:

Neil This is my understanding too.  Shawn are you only referring to ride alongs portion of th rules when you talk about "only ride with a parent or guardian" . but he could still race his car if he brings the signed waiver by his parents and has his license that allows him to drive on his own? Or are you saying he can only ride with his parent and not race till he is 18?

Correct, as far as I understand it if the driver is legally able to drive a car by themselves and has a properly signed waiver they can race...but they can't ride with any driver other than their parent/guardian.

• Like 1