2017 Co-drive(s)?

hey everybody,

I am looking for a co-drive(s) for the rest of the season. After being bitten by the 2.3L curse at the gimli event and having to swap a new motor into my Mazda 3, I am now reluctant to race my only family car. For those that don't know me I have several years of experience, mostly in FWD but have run RWD and AWD. I don't mind mentoring a rookie and don't need to run in a specific class or be in a competitive car. I will pay for lunch or provide other forms of compensation to your liking. 

Thanks in advance,

Brian

Hi Brian,

Unfortunately the last time we saw each other was at the end of the Gimli event with your car making an ominous knocking sound.  Did it turn out to be main bearings as we feared?

I've already set up a co-drive with Curtis J. this weekend and maybe a co-drive swap the following weekend, July 16th, in his Scion FR-S.  I've had a couple of conversations with others (Brendon Rebillard & Dan Gagnon) about co-driving but nothing firmed up yet.  Given your circumstances, I would be willing to offer the Focus RS up for co-drive on days that you are otherwise unable to snag a ride. 

However, there is the condition that you provide mentoring. I've got a fairly decent car but I'm nowhere near the level of utilizing its potential.  If you've got the patience to mentor someone like me, then maybe we can work something out.  Hope someone offers you a co-drive this weekend and we get a chance to chat.

Thanks Brian, 

yes I believe it was main bearings. Even though I did not dig into the motor much, there were lots of large metal shavings in the oil pan, and the way it sounded on the drive home made it sound like a spun bearing. 

As for a co-drive in the future, I would be glad to do my best at mentoring to get a chance at a drive in the Focus. While I am not at instructor caliber of curtis or others, I should be able to help you get at least a bit faster over an event. 

10 hours ago, rjames said:

Sorry, missed this thread and only saw the other one about co-drives I will be at the event Sunday if your interested in a co-drive always open to some pointers/tips from more experienced drivers.

Thanks. I will probably take you up on that. I watched your car at gimli and it is definitely not my grandpa's Buick lol but should be easy enough to learn for us to have a good co-driver battle. When I confirm that I am going I will pm you to sort of the details.

1 hour ago, TRDTurko said:

Thanks. I will probably take you up on that. I watched your car at gimli and it is definitely not my grandpa's Buick lol but should be easy enough to learn for us to have a good co-driver battle. When I confirm that I am going I will pm you to sort of the details.

Yeah definitely not your grandpa's Buick, since gimli I've tweaked the alignment and a few other things I was having some excessive understeer issues that seem to be resolved now. 

BIG thanks to Ryan for the drive in the Regal! Was fun to have a close battle though I still don't know where he found 2 seconds on his last run lol. I also learned that me and reversing a Buick don't mix for some reason lol. EDIT: I think it was because of the very vague electric steering which also threw me off around the first cone. You couldn't feel that the tires were sliding.

Anyway. I am looking forward to trying out the RS and sounds like I may get a shot at a FRS. So if Those 2 and a third ride with one of my 4th gen Celica buddies works out I will be a happy camper. BUT of course I will be happy to accept other offers :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Brian, I know it's short notice but it was a last minute decision whether I could make the Sunday July 30th event.  If it works for you, you're welcome to co-drive the Focus RS tomorrow. Hope you can make it.

17 hours ago, Brian Wiebe said:

Hey Brian, I know it's short notice but it was a last minute decision whether I could make the Sunday July 30th event.  If it works for you, you're welcome to co-drive the Focus RS tomorrow. Hope you can make it.

Damn Saw this a few hours too late :( hopefully the stars align next time.

I also want to add that anyone who lets me co-drive their car this year (and anyone who has let me drive in the past) will get the option of driving my SP preped Celica AWD Turbo when it is finished. I want to say that will be next year but the way my life goes sometimes I can't guarantee that.

• 2 weeks later...

Big thanks to Brian Wiebe for the co-drice in his RS! Will be hard to top a car with drift mode but people are welcome to try. :D And if anyone is wondering, yes Drift mode works!

I will be camping in Riding Mountain this weekend so if anyone was thinking of offering, then save it for event 13. :)

Just a note and not sure how much evidence it is of my help but both rookies I drove with this year dropped a couple seconds over the 4 runs.

Archived