Out of Focus

Looks like I won't be in my Focus for events #6 and #7 this weekend. The combination of runs on the Saturday Level 1 School and the Sunday event did in my tires. Got home Sunday evening and was swapping fronts to rears when I saw how much chunking had taken place on the fronts (several nickel-sized pieces missing on the outside edge of the tread.  Even the center rib is worn down to a 45° angle).  These are Michelin Super Sports with 4,000 km and only 5 Autoslalom events.  A little rubber chunk missing here and there doesn't seem like a big deal but it is a safety concern to everyone around me and I will not risk running another event with tires in this condition.

I've been watching tire pressures very closely from day one and have chalked the tires to ensure there is no rollover at standard recommended pressures of 46 psi front and rear.  Maybe this is a case of "more would've been better" but I don't think the excessive scrubbing of the tires was due to heat, but rather due to the porky 3400+ lbs in combination with my novice skills of trying to turn while braking. Clouds of tire smoke in the pivot turns is not good for tire longevity.

Anyways, went to Costco that evening and ordered a set of 4 Bridgestone Potenza RE71's. Bad news - tires won't arrive for another week or so.  So my question (or plea) is whether anyone would consider taking me on as a co-driver this weekend?  In addition to compensation for driving your car, I'll also return the favour and let you drive the Focus for the next event, if you wish.

And if this co-driving thing doesn't work out, then a question to Shawn and Helix - do you guys need any help with course setup this weekend?  It's a big job and I'd like to lend a hand if I can't participate in the races.

Anyone interested can reply to this post or contact me (Brian Wiebe) by e-mail at "wiebe51@shaw.ca" or phone at (204) 633-9489.  I'll be out of town Wednesday, but returning late evening. Thanks everyone for making my initiation into Autoslalom a great experience - making new friends with each event, and learning so much!

Whew!  Rough go on dem tires Brian man!  My tires on the Fox are horrid, especially the fronts.  If I am not rolling out a new set this year, expect for certain come the following season. 

With that said, I am only all too hopeful that UPS delivers (as scheduled) my new clutch cable this Friday so I can get it install (double wrapping in heat shield) but I am always knocking on wood as to what the heck is going to break down next... I otherwise, would let you take a spin at it... but between it's break downs and my tires are actually maybe on par to yours (conditions wise)... mmmm, maybe not the best idea.

Off topic, your car (I googled it as well) is 3400 lbs!?  Hot damn, I am amazed it is that heavy!  Factory Fox is ~ 3200...

I had looked at the potenza re71 but in the 20" size I couldn't get between hot laps and auto x mine weren't lasting too long so I picked up a separate set of wheels and tires. 

I'd offer up a co-drive in my Buick I'm not 100% sure I'll be out both days Saturday is up in the air I may have to cover for one of my service advisors, Plus it's a FWD auto. But the offer is there.....

The tires might still be ok. I'll try to hop over to your side of the building on Thursday to check them out. Email or call to remind me.

A little chunking may not be a deal-breaker. Besides, they're already getting replaced so as long as they're safe, you likely won't do much more damage to the tires. 

Hey Brain,

That sucks about the tires but is not unexpected and I have heard lots of people talk about the weird center rib wear pattern. I think the PSS's are a great non-track type of tire. Look at this picture of my Pilot Super Sports after 9 events 2 years ago running on my S4 which is about 4000lbs. Cords showing and chunks missing from the outside blocks. I am all but convinced that the issue is temperature management. In fact the replacement tire for the PSS, the PS4S, specifically addresses the heat buildup on the outer blocks, which further makes me think my theory is right.

Although not a proper test as I changed tire brands (same load rating, load index and size), when I switched tires last year to Bridgestone RE-11's I also started spraying my tires and those tires lasted 15 events with a little life left in them. I will be using those tires to get me to Calgary and back to save my RE71R's that I am running this year.

Hopefully Corey can give you the green light and you can still run this weekend. Sorry I can't offer a co-drive but I am already worried that my tires will not last the full season of 18 events locally plus the 2 more I am doing in Calgary. As such I will not be doing any more fun runs in my car until possibly later in the year.

tire.jpeg

I haven't been to autocross for a while, but if you want to stick with a Ford, I'll be coming out on Saturday with my Fiesta ST and you're welcome to co-drive. I'm not running a terribly competitive tire, it's the new firestone firehawk Indy 500. Additionally, it's in SMF-S as I've modified it for my liking and not for autocross class purposes. 

15 hours ago, Corey said:

The tires might still be ok. I'll try to hop over to your side of the building on Thursday to check them out. Email or call to remind me.

A little chunking may not be a deal-breaker. Besides, they're already getting replaced so as long as they're safe, you likely won't do much more damage to the tires. 

You may consider flipping them on the rims to get another weekend or two out of them. 

The re71 will wear the Center rib the same way and is a soft tire. I've driven the  rs on runs and it's incredible what it's capable of but when driven near or over the limit its brutal on the tires as it's so nose biased. 

If you really like autox and are hooked, I'd consider finding a second set of rims for race tires (or put those Michelins on to finish them) 

Hey everyone, thanks for your comments, suggestions, and offers to co-drive.  

Matt:  Don't worry about me, just "focus" on getting your clutch cable installed and ready for the weekend.

Shawn:  Wow, that's some serious shredding in the photos - much worse than mine.  You're probably right about heat buildup being a contributing factor, but how do I mitigate that?  Spraying the tires with water after each run seems like a good idea to bring temperatures down before the following run. Maybe adding another 5 psi to the fronts only?  Interestingly enough, the owner's manual includes a section on track use and advises not to exceed 50 psi cold.

Ryan:  Thanks tor the offer to drive the Fiesta ST.  Don't worry about the competitive part - I'm a rookie and am just looking to get some seat time and experience.  Corey is going to inspect my tires tomorrow and then I'll know for sure whether they're safe for another weekend.  I'll let you know, one way or the other, Thursday evening.

Corey:  I appreciate the fact that you'll come over and assess the condition of my tires. I'll be keeping my fingers and toes crossed.

Thanks everyone for helping me get through this issue.  I owe you big time Corey for taking the time to come over and assess the condition of my tires.  Also a big thanks to those who offered me a chance to co-drive.  I'll be showing up for this weekend's events and might even be hoping that we get a chance to run in the wet (if the forecast is accurate).  It would be a great way to learn how to drive to the limits of the track and, bonus, it would keep my tires cool. See ya there!

11 hours ago, Brian Wiebe said:

Thanks everyone for helping me get through this issue.  I owe you big time Corey for taking the time to come over and assess the condition of my tires.  Also a big thanks to those who offered me a chance to co-drive.  I'll be showing up for this weekend's events and might even be hoping that we get a chance to run in the wet (if the forecast is accurate).  It would be a great way to learn how to drive to the limits of the track and, bonus, it would keep my tires cool. See ya there!

A small garden sprayer is your friend. Since it's hard on the front tires id be spraying between every run. 

On hot days I'd consider spraying before the first run too as the sun and engine heat will get those tires really hot before leaving grid. 

Archived