Wheel bearing might be going

I think I hear the telltale sounds of a front wheel bearing starting to go on my S4. When this happened last year for the rear wheels bearings, it didn't take too long for the growl to become really apparent. However even when they got pretty loud there wasn't any play that I could detect.

Right now I can't be 100% certain that it is the problem or not. I have my upcoming road trip to Calgary and back and wonder if I am being paranoid thinking I should rush out and replace the wheel bearings now or am I being foolish to think they would make the trip safely.

Shawn

I have order 2 of the Moog wheel bearings which have a 3 year warranty compared to Timken's 1 year warranty...not sure it really means much.

You make it sound so easy to change. We changed one on my brothers S4 and we did it without removing the axle but it was hellish trying to get tools in to remove it. I think the book says to disconnect the control arms from the top of the knuckle and take out the axle. At least my new control arms make disconnecting them very easy and I think the axle would be straight forward. The issue will be that the wheel hub is pressed into the bearing so would need to find a shop to do that part. I really should buy the tools to do it myself. I know I will need them many times.

Shawn

I just did the front on the corolla, and I would have to say it is not easy.

yes, you need a hydraulic press (used a friends).  Plus getting the piece of the wheel bearing housing off the spindle thingy can also be nasty.

Personally, I would get it fix right away.  You never know how fast it will get to the point where there is huge play in it, as mine did in one day.

My wheel had at least 3/8 on an inch in play in one day, however I know people who been driving with a noisy bearing for months.

Your bearing bolts on doesn't it Shawn? In the pictures it shows four bolts attaching it to the hub, and it comes with the retaining assy. I looked up a 2012' s4. You could order one with the hub to simplify the install, and then one regular one and press the hub into the new one at your convenience for the other side.  

The moog is probably a rebranded skf, national, or timiken bearing. Out of curiousity let me know what it's stamped with once you receive them. 

Pressing the hub in isnt hard, but you need a press.  I have a smaller 10t I could lend you (easiest) or you could come press them late one night. 

Yeah it bolts on but the axle makes it difficult to get tools in. We obviously got it to work the last time on Chris' S4 but I remember it being really crappy work and took a lot longer than it should have.

Yeah I was on the fence about getting new hubs as well just to make it simpler but locally the hubs are way too expensive and to get them shipped in time to pick them up was also cost prohibitive...damn exchange rate. I will watch for a sale and get them for a future replacement since I know that I will be doing this again.

It's been a while since I have seen the hub and bearing sold as an assembly. I did learn that a lot of vendors call it a "wheel bearing & hub assembly" but it really is just the wheel bearing. The "hub" they refer to is just the flange piece the bearing is in...which is inaccurate.

On 2017-06-01 at 9:07 PM, justkickin said:

FWIW I go to Direct Auto on Wall locally. Their prices are similar to Rock auto and there is no shipping. 

Only thing I have found, for anything I've gone in for since you suggested, they always sent me across the street to piston ring as his price on euro or some offbeat jap stuff was the same if not more with wait time for him to get it. 

For common vehicles (corolla, Altima, impala) they are great. 

Still worth a shot though. 

9 hours ago, MRS Joe said:

Only thing I have found, for anything I've gone in for since you suggested, they always sent me across the street to piston ring as his price on euro or some offbeat jap stuff was the same if not more with wait time for him to get it. 

For common vehicles (corolla, Altima, impala) they are great. 

Still worth a shot though. 

Interesting.They were the only place, aside from Al M here, where I could get a caliper for the Vette quickly. Did not know this about them, thanks for the heads up. 

15 hours ago, justkickin said:

Interesting.They were the only place, aside from Al M here, where I could get a caliper for the Vette quickly. Did not know this about them, thanks for the heads up. 

Remember your vette is just a bunch of generic easy to source gm truck parts put together in a way to create something fun. ;):P 

21 hours ago, MRS Joe said:

Remember your vette is just a bunch of generic easy to source gm truck parts put together in a way to create something fun. ;):P 

So that's why the old guys that drive them think they can "pickup" women.

Archived