Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Corey

Ugly F4 crash

6 posts in this topic

Oh wow... That is really too bad. 

I guess the Doctor grounding me from Road Racing and Ice Racing for a year from my crash isn't as bad as it could be. 

Open wheel has to be the most dangerous of the automotive motorsports, the drivers are so vulnerable. Any of the closed cockpit cars have more crumple zones and cages around the driver. For whatever reason, karting and even motorcycles don't see accidents this severe.

I'm not convinced open wheel is what made this accident so bad... how many Moto racers have died in the last few years? Certainly more than open wheel racers (to the best of my knowledge anyway).

A single seater open wheel car is capable of going very fast, and there just isn't a lot of space to put the crush structures on the cars. Add to the fact that this particular accident is about the worst case scenario (car going straight into the gearbox of a stopped car in front at high speed), the size of a crush structure that would have let him walk away would be huge. The FIA tests that the Mygale F4 car are tested to, include a 30mph front impact... double the speed will quadruple the energy to dissipate, and I'd bet he was going closer to 3 times 30mph.

I'm not here to argue that an openwheel car is 'as safe' as something else, but to simply label them 'most dangerous' doesn't seem particularly helpful either. I feel much safer in my Reynard in T1 at Gimli that I do on Highway 1 in my Toyota most days...

Gary

1 person likes this

I was thinking on the drive home last night... there have been quite a few open wheel fatalities the last few years... maybe I'm completely wrong on this. 

Posted (edited)

Frankly, I think marshaling is to blame for this accident.

Dead car on the track, basically on the racing line, and everyone is still going full-tilt around it.

Why were there no yellow flags well in advance to slow down the traffic? Who's the hell was running that race?

Edited by Brian_Earl_Spilner