Winnipeg Sports Car Club
Sign in to follow this  
white_cross

Manual rack and pinion from corolla/MR2/AE86

I am going to be converting my 1973 celica to a manual rack and pinion. There is a guy on the 1stgencelica.com who sells a rack conversion kit but I still have to source the rack and pinion unit. He says this about which rack and pinion is needed for the conversion:

"The rack can be a 83-84 corolla first gen mr2 or an ae86 but mr2 requires the in/out tie rods from a 83-84 corolla. Ya so let me know when you are ready."

I imagine he is talking about the 83-84 rwd corolla. Any one have something or know of where I can find one? Rock auto no longer has these units. Maybe someone has seen something in a wrecker locally?

Is you car currently set up for steering box and drag link or a r&p? If for rack and pinion, out of curiosity, why not use the rack you have? Generally you can de-power them fairly easy and keep the quicker ratio a powered rack generally has. RX7 folks do it all the time as manual racks are few and far between.

6 hours ago, nopistons said:

Is you car currently set up for steering box and drag link or a r&p? If for rack and pinion, out of curiosity, why not use the rack you have? Generally you can de-power them fairly easy and keep the quicker ratio a powered rack generally has. RX7 folks do it all the time as manual racks are few and far between.

My car currently has the recirculating ball type steering just like the old muscle cars have.