2017 Time Attack Season Event Links and Program Discussion

nopistons

Fellow Time Attackers,

The 2017 is upon us and we would like to hear from the group what they would like to see this season.
Currently, we have 2017 Time Attack shaping up as follows:

2017 WSCC Memberships: $50

Get your 2017 WSCC membership here! (MSR)

2017 WCMA Time Attack Licenses: $20

Get your 2017 Time Attack licence here! (MSR)
(You will need to have completed and passed a HPDE to be eligible to apply for a TA license)

2017 PAX Format

One thing we will continue from 2015 is the PAX system.

Trophies will be awarded for:

• Fastest Overall Lap Time
  • Fastest PAX Lap Time
  • PAX Points Championship 1st 2nd and 3rd

Some of you already know what your PAX value is, however, if you need a refresher, please use the online form located here.
If you are new to the Ontario Time Attack data base, you need to create a profile, find your car in their stock list (or at least the closest variety) and if you have mods, use thier handy checklists to do the calculations. You DO NOT need to submit the car to CCDB. Just go thru the exercise.

If you need assistance, you can either ask former TA Director, Sarah (84TurboSupra), Myself, or one of the many veteran time attackers that have already completed theirs. Please make every attempt to class your wheels as it makes it more interesting for the rest of the competitors. If you do not class your car, you will receive a PAX factor of "Improved or 1.0".

5 events but scored on the 4 best! Your lowest score gets thrown out, so even if you miss an event, you still can be in the championship running.

2017 Time Attack Entry Fees: $120

Unfortunately with rising track rental/usage fees and the cost of vehicle transponders, we need to bump it up $20 per entry. It's been a long time coming.

2017 Schedule

• This will remain the same, Practice followed by 5 run groups of approximately 5 laps each.
  • Max cars on track per run group will be 17 (Overall Max is 34 TA entrants)
  • More than 10 registrations, grid will be split into 2 run groups.

Online Registration:

• As with 2016, this year we ask that you pre-register online via MSR.
  • All TA races will be under the "Road Race Event" schedule on MSR, select TimeAttack as your event fees.
  • You will not need to pre-pay online, only register. Use code "TRACKPAY" to set your cart to $0 and register.
    Paying at the track will have a $20 surcharge.
  • If you need a SNELL helmet, you can rent one at time of registration for $25 per event (Limited Number Available)

Thanks,
Road Race Management Team

2017 Event Links: (MSR)

Event 1 
Event 2 WCMA Run-Offs

Event 3
Event 4 Vintage Race Weekend Sponsored by CMW
Event 5 

Hi - what is the format of time attack? Is this competitive against other cars directly or is it a "race against yourself" thing like bracket drag racing? I'm interested but I don't know if my car is going to be  competitive, if I'm racing against myself then great, I like that. Are all events coinciding with road racing events at Gimli or is there another venue? (Brainerd?)

I got  this as a PM and realized it might be better to reply here...

You and your fellow competitors run the track at the same session. Each competitor competes and races against the clock to better their lap times.
As everyone has different cars, with different preparations, each competitor is assigned a PAX factor that levels the playing field. This is how a Corvette can compete with a Chevette on the track at the same time even though one is obviously significantly faster than the other. It does not matter one bit which car you bring to the track as you will be competitive with your fellow track mates providing you have done the PAX calculator correctly.

The only time this isn't the case is the fastest overall lap time trophy. That goes to whoever has the fastest car throughout the season.

As noted above, as you move through the season, your fastest laps are noted and assessed points based on your PAX. Championship trophies are awarded accordingly.

All events are held during road race events

how do you determine the car class? I'm looking at the list http://ccdb.casc.on.ca/BaseCarList.aspx and I can see my car is classified as T2 - as a stock vehicle, but I have R compound tires and better exhaust and a few other things. Is there another page that changes that class or index for the modifications done? or do you guys, namely the sporting committee, classify the car on a case by case basis?

thanks 

The ccdb site does the classification fully. You'll have to sign up if you haven't already. The list I saw there from their home page is 'generic' in a sense.

Once logged in, input and save your vehicle make and model. Then, Select it from your Saved Cars in order to Add a New PIP Schedule. Here's where the calculations begin.

Enter a name for the schedule, (even driver weight, WOW!). The next screen will have your (factory stock) vehicle info. auto. filled-in, and then 'tab over' to the modifications screen; it's actually pretty comprehensive. Tick off the mods you have and submit. 

Bonus: it's pretty cool to see the assessed differences of mods. And I even learned I'd been classing my car one level too high. Cha-ching!!

Post if you have any problems with it.

I feel like time attack is gonna have a bit more interest this year. With it's popularity in the states and Ontario im amazed it isn't bigger here. But it would deffinately be a good thing to get some car classification going. Looking forward to seeing you all come May! 

59 minutes ago, Ianfromduff said:

I feel like time attack is gonna have a bit more interest this year. With it's popularity in the states and Ontario im amazed it isn't bigger here. But it would deffinately be a good thing to get some car classification going. Looking forward to seeing you all come May! 

The executive was toying with the idea of holding the national TA championship at Gimli. I don't think there was much enthusiasm over it but that would have been interesting.

You're registered for our HPDE so assuming you succeed at the exercises and pass the written exam, you will be eligible for a TA or RR license.

I'd not wait too long after the HPDE to apply for your license as the first event is 3 weeks after!

you can class your car at any time between now and event 1.

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

1. Which licence should I but to participate in Time Attack?

2. Snell SA2010 helmet will suit your requirements\rules to participate in Time Attack?

Thanks in advance.

Max.

Archived