Summer 2017 - Calgary Trip

justkickin

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My runs (cheap cam BTW):

Sunday AM (unedited): https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByeFbiNdvLbGUXdEQ0l2M2dtR00
Sunday PM (unedited): https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByeFbiNdvLbGdW16eGIyTmNiMFU

Chrome apparently likes to play them in low res.  If you want full 1280x720 resolution, right click, save to disk, and play with VLC or some other useful video player.

11 hours ago, Beau said:

Glad to see there was some good competition. Looks like there are a couple of ringers in Calgary - Ryan and Cam really cleaned house! After that it looks like a really healthy battle for the next 10 or so spots between a few Wpg guys and a few Calgary guys. That's great to see! Must have been a fun and exciting event. Can't wait to hear from those who raced for a full recap, and hopefully some videos soon.

Sunday was an amazing contest.  To see how close it was, here are the scores at the end of the morning runs: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByeFbiNdvLbGMjAzQjZoRjV0dUU

With the exception of Ryan, the rest of us in the top 15 or so were only hundredths of a second apart from each other.  It truly was anyone's game on Sunday afternoon.  Then Cam W and Tom K put down some serious runs, leaving the rest of us to fight it out for the remaining spots.

Here are the afternoon-only times: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByeFbiNdvLbGNW1Ub1dZNTViS0E

Curtis and Tim out drove me in the afternoon, but not quite enough to make up for their morning deficit.

Fun, serious fun!

That was a fun event!  The format was unique: 4 runs in the morning, then the course was changed slightly to allow you to run it backwards, then you got 4 more in the afternoon.  Then a new course Sunday morning and again backwards in the afternoon.  It was like running 4 separate events in 2 days.  The AM and PM sessions for each day were added together, like SCCA Nationals. 

The best part?  SWEEPERS!  So much space between gates to chose your line, good or bad.  Thanks for Tim for trying to help me find my helmet with seconds to spare, and for lending me his sweet tow vehicle!  The grip balance of that lot made everyone's car quite a bit more pushy than at St. Andrews.  Being in a Mod car has it's advantages though - I made a swaybar change between my 1st and 2nd runs and killed that quick. 

Here's a compilation video.  Unfortunately I missed the Sunday AM runs due to my error.  So the first clip is Saturday AM, second is Saturday PM, and third is Sunday PM. 

Those runs got me FTD in all four sessions (I was in one of few formula cars there) and 7th in PAX on Saturday and 11th in PAX on Sunday.  I've never done that well in PAX with this car, so I'm pretty happy with that! 

Bad news: A tire rack pulled out of the wall of my trailer and fell on my car on the way home.  Arrgghh!  Amazingly, no mechanical damage!  Just an ugly hole in the tail fiberglass.  It sucks, but it could have been WAY worse. 

Wow what a great event! Can we all agree to cut Saskatchewan out of Canada and stitch the AB and MB borders together? Really wish it wasn't so far, I'd be back for more.The site was fantastic, the entire 400x900 feet lot was usable with additional space behind for paddock AND grid. Since we are in Calgary the site is not 100% flat, the back was much lower and with the right site also slightly lower, this gave us really interesting camber/banking situations, going uphill or turning with the banking gave more grip and vise versa. Really fun to include that in the approach to a run. The lot Grip was much higher than St Andrews since it was CLEAN, unbroken concrete, this was also a pain since everyone's car from Winnipeg tended to understeer a lot more than at St Andrews (Although the Vette was awesome if not better at this site) The Calgary site could easily hold an SCCA national tour event with 200+ drivers if needed. From comparison sake the lot in Winnipeg we have been lusting after for years is only about 500x1000 total and doesn't have additional space for grid or paddock.

The recommended Hampton Inn across from the site was a great choice based on the view alone! :)

IMG_20170616_165125_zpsn4b5hs2q.jpg

Saturday, Street and Mod classes (Curtis, Shaun, Tim and me) got a chance to work first and have a look at the course. Rob, Corey and Tom in the GTR killed it out on course and gave us a good idea of what was needed to do well. I came out of the gate hard and leveled off on my later runs but Tim just got better and better and pulled ahead from me on both session Saturday. We didn't have enough the catch Ryan in The Cayman or Cam in the other identical Z06 (2 of their best drivers). The morning course felt really tight with a few decreasing radius turns but still a tone of fun, (a bad sweeper is better than no sweepers IMO). We were all pretty happy to see everyone from Winnipeg made it into either the top 11 Raw or top 10 Pax, Well done everyone!

Tim has the better in car video, I will let him post those. Here are my runs with the outside camera.

Saturday AM (things get dicey at the end)

Saturday afternoon, second set driving the course backwards.

Sunday:

Since our Street group ran first Sunday, I wanted to make sure I had the course down and really focused on my course walks (huge thanks to Rob  for dissecting it with me). Felt like I drove well in the AM, although I had more time in it. After my runs I made the mistake of checking scoring and found myself 3rd overall in RAW time, behind Ryan and under 0.2 behind Cam in the other Z06. Since I've never finished anywhere near the top 3 in larger event like this or come close to guys of that caliber my nerves got the better of me and I had a pretty bad afternoon session, drove off line and bellow the limit, I was just barely able to hold off Tim overall for the day score so that made it sting less lol.That being said I think we need to run 2 day combined events to mimic the pressure of national events locally.

Sunday AM:

Sunday PM:

Here's the Sunday AM course for reference (reversed for afternoon):

IMG_20170621_184818_zpscwpmz1ze.jpg

Sorry to hear about your rack Corey, guessing it almost made it, looked fine in Brandon. :(

On 2017-6-20 at 8:12 PM, Corey said:
Bad news: A tire rack pulled out of the wall of my trailer and fell on my car on the way home.  Arrgghh!  Amazingly, no mechanical damage!  Just an ugly hole in the tail fiberglass.  It sucks, but it could have been WAY worse. 

Ahh! Wow, that must have been a shocking discovery. Glad your car survived  mechanically and can still be raced without major repairs. Just add a little race tape like they do in Nascar and you'll be good to go!

Might want to check the other sheliving and hanging structures in that trailer. Hope the wood isn't rotting on you. Maybe just one bad lag bolt?

Finally found time to get videos and get something posted. 

Was a great weekend! Travelling with the WSCC members is always a good time. Our hosts in Calgary put on a
really good show. 

I drove fairly well Saturday, enjoyed my Saturday night, drove really badly Sunday morning (possibly due to
Saturday night) and then redeemed myself Sunday afternoon. Ended up top 10 PAX both days which was my goal.
Sunday though I was out of the top 10 after the morning and had to put down a solid drive in the afternoon to
get back in. I managed it, but didn't beat Chris by enough in the afternoon to take the win in the car both
days. Chris's driving Sunday morning was awesome! 

The car felt really good all weekend. It did tighten up a little, which is probably a good thing considering it
is a little loose locally. The Nexen's performed extremely well (when driven properly). We did have to start
spraying them after second runs, but that wasn't a problem. If Calgary still has that lot next year I will
likely head there again, all other variables permitting, it was that good. 

Saturday AM

Saturday PM

My camera settings aren't great for Sunday....I may have forgotten that Corey was going to narrow the field of
view Saturday night and then I narrowed it again Sunday morning...ooppps. :(

Sunday AM (watching this may cause your eyes to bleed it was that bad). 

Sunday PM

Reijo's Fun Runs (He may have beaten me on his second run...but not by as much as I would have imagined he
would...level 2 school here is on my radar for this year now so I can find that time). 

I'll try to post up some videos over the weekend. Got home Monday night after 10PM, on a 9AM flight to Mississauga and just got home at 1AM today...so no time to process my videos. Unfortunately I had a few camera glitches so I don't have all my best runs.

I was reasonably happy with my runs although my overall RAW times were okay, my overall PAX times sucked. Did well in class as I was second both days. First day I lost pretty bad to 1st place (I think he was the only guy in our class that was on race tires) and on Sunday I missed 1st by under 2 tenths of a second.

If they have a similar lot next year, I would consider going again assuming all other things work out.

Anyone willing to do a second trip to Calgary this year in August? https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/fat-kat-challenge-sat-sun-aug-12-13-sasc-yyc-old-park-n-jet-southern-391551

Decent cash prizes and it's at their awesome Calgary airport site!

Event Format

This is a 2-day “Match Tour” style of event (see the SASC Forum for more details:   www.sascsolo.com ).

Competitors will be divided into 3 separate run groups and allowed a minimum of 3 timed runs in 3 sessions within their run group.

Competitor’s single best times, from each session, will be combined for an aggregate Challenge qualifying time based on PAX index.

Sunday afternoon the top 16 qualifiers in each run group will face off in their run group Elimination Challenge, to determine the final 3 competitors. These final 3 competitors will be allowed 1 run each to determine their final placement in the “FAT KAT’ Challenge, with OVERTIME Rentals prize money awarded as follows:

1st Place    $600.00

2nd Place    $300.00

3rd Place    $100.00

An added incentive to Saturday’s runs, prize money will be paid to 1st, 2nd and 3rd place PAX finishers in each of the following 4 groups, both in morning runs and afternoon runs:

Street, Street Touring + Street Prepared+CAM (Classic American Muscle) + Heritage Classic, Prepared + Street Modified + Modified, and Ladies

Prize money will be a percentage based on total number of entries.

Archived