Summer 2017 - Calgary Trip

justkickin

Reijo recently posted a video of a lot in Calgary where they are having a few events this year. I am thinking road trip, at least for Regionals if not Nationals. No, the schedule is not out yet, but damn...that lot! That is A7 worthy!

Anybody else considering this?

Can you tell I am tired of winter now. lol

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Canadian Nationals are on June 24/25: http://www.vcmc.ca/forum/showthread.php?15922-2017-ASN-FIA-Canadian-National-Autoslalom-Championship-on-June-24-25-2017&p=102208#post102208

The lot really is wonderful, but because it is inside the city, the event attendance is huge (100+ drivers).  We had to work hard to ensure a good experience for everyone, especially with the huge number of first timers that show up for events at this venue.

I'll ask our club executive to see if they can schedule an event on the weekend before the nationals.  It would make for a great practise event, and a good stop for people driving out to Pitt Meadows for the nationals.

Another course at the venue (Stephen Hui driving my S2000): 

Thanks for sharing Murray, hope you guys can keep that site for years to come! Count me in as very interested this year, ideally we could get a Winnipeg group together for this, site looks well worth the effort. I'm leaning towards using my S2000 and offering a co-drive but would consider a co-drive. Although, note sure if the logistics of a weekend event in Calgary followed by Canadian Nationals in Vancouver makes sense for for me.

Anyone else interested in Calgary trip and/or Vancouver Nationals trip? (As a driver or looking for a co-drive)

With the value of the dollar and the "issues" down south, now is a great time to focus on western canadian autocross options over SCCA events.

I retired last year, so I forget about people needing to work for a living :)  We could hold a weekday event (Wednesday?), but the lot rental is expensive, and we need about 50 drivers to break even.  Not impossible to do, but fees might be a bit hefty :(

As for keeping the lot for years, I doubt it will happen.  It is in a prime hotel/parking area right next to the airport, and it is currently for sale.

Thanks for the update Murray and congrats on retiring.

I don't mind the idea of Vancouver, takes me through wine country again. That would be so unfortunate. lol

I was considering towing the blue car to Calgary...towing through the mountains will require further evaluation. I could always tow an empty trailer through the mountains and drive the blue car through them again, no harm in that. The end of June timing is good though. 

With the length of the drive to Vancouver I don't think it is impossible to shoot for a regional event in Calgary at that airport lot on the way to/from Vancouver. The logistics would require some local club member magic but would make the road trip more fruitful. 

I may have a codriver for both,but if holidays don't work out then would consider opening up a seat. 

• 1 month later...

Looks like the Calgary Sports Car Club has confirmed the WCMA regional events dates are Saturday June 17 and Sunday June 18: http://www.cscc.ab.ca/autoslalom/

That's the weekend, just before Canadian Nationals In Vancouver.

I have tentative plans in works to attend this event. Looks like drive in Friday, run Saturday & Sunday and drive back on Monday might be the ticket. Anyone else considering?

12 hours ago, codewhore said:

The Calgary Regional is on my answers this year although I might make it a 2 day drive starting on Thursday so I am not wiped out for racing Saturday. Already have time booked off work. 

We split it by getting to Regina the evening of Thursday so we didn't have to take extra vacation time. Anything beyond Regina and you get dive motels bs decent cheap places as you enter regina. 

1 hour ago, MRS Joe said:

We split it by getting to Regina the evening of Thursday so we didn't have to take extra vacation time. Anything beyond Regina and you get dive motels bs decent cheap places as you enter regina. 

Not a bad idea, more time for fun (and beers) on Friday night in Calgary. Moose Jaw is also another 45min from Regina, Days Inn, Super 8 around $100/night. Doesn't look too bad.

I've just heard Moose Jaw is a little less nice.  

Not sure where the site in Calgary is, but some of the hotels around the airport are new and have really great rates. (80-100 a night with new pool). I can look where I booked if anyone cares. 

6 minutes ago, codewhore said:

I believe that the event is in the Budget lot at the airport (I think). Michelle was looking for hotels around the airport and they were really quite reasonable.

Comfort inn & suites airport north. Paid 110$ a night after taxes. Was new and clean with good breakfast. 

We are checking Hotwire and Priceline. Found some decent hotels 2.5 - 3 star for 75-95 dollars. Will post up later today when we do a bit more looking.

If you look on any of those sites for hotels, make sure you change currency to Canadian dollars or the deals look even better, but you will just be disappointed later.

9 hours ago, codewhore said:

We are checking Hotwire and Priceline. Found some decent hotels 2.5 - 3 star for 75-95 dollars. Will post up later today when we do a bit more looking.

If you look on any of those sites for hotels, make sure you change currency to Canadian dollars or the deals look even better, but you will just be disappointed later.

I used hotels.com. I'd do no less than 3 star anymore. Learnt that lesson once  

Found better deals through the sale emails I receive. 

Last time in Calgary I stayed near the airport at a hotel with the Moxies. Think it was the Sandman. Was a good hotel with a reasonable rate and a decent lounge built in. Not sure if this is anywhere close to the site. 

It's only a couple of nights. I am good with $100-ish per night. Don't want a dive with crappy food or noisy. We are splitting rooms right? So could go even higher in that case. 

We just booked our hotel through Priceline; checking in Friday and checking out Monday. Wingate by Wyndham Calgary Airport (3.5 star). $75 a night but after taxes and fees $269.07 which is just under $90 a night

On 4/10/2017 at 6:20 PM, justkickin said:

Last time in Calgary I stayed near the airport at a hotel with the Moxies. Think it was the Sandman. Was a good hotel with a reasonable rate and a decent lounge built in. Not sure if this is anywhere close to the site. 

It's only a couple of nights. I am good with $100-ish per night. Don't want a dive with crappy food or noisy. We are splitting rooms right? So could go even higher in that case. 

I stayed at that very same Sandman hotel just a week ago. It's nice enough and modernish, good location for being near some restaurants and stuff (Shark Club and Moxies in same parking lot, Denny's attached for breakfast), but probably a good 20 minute drive to the airport. So if you want to stay closer to racing, there are probably better options. If you're fine with a 20 min drive then I'd recommend it.

The coolest part was that I could literally see the Lambo/Lotus dealership from my window, right next door to the large Porche dealer overlooking the valley. Pretty cool. Took a quick drive to check out that area ... we don't have anything like that in Winnipeg. http://focusequities.com/meadows-mile/

On 2017-02-12 at 3:55 PM, MurrayPeterson said:

I retired last year, so I forget about people needing to work for a living :)  We could hold a weekday event (Wednesday?), but the lot rental is expensive, and we need about 50 drivers to break even.  Not impossible to do, but fees might be a bit hefty :(

As for keeping the lot for years, I doubt it will happen.  It is in a prime hotel/parking area right next to the airport, and it is currently for sale.

hopefully you get to keep it at least another year because I may not be able to go out that way this year. Though if I could swing it, the best time for me would be the beginning of august.

On a side note: if anyone is wondering what the Boeing lot looks like, the area where they are using for grid in the video is almost Identical.

• 4 weeks later...

Strongly considering. Have to visit Costco to check on tire availablity. Don't want to go on RE71's with 108 runs on them. 

With that, there is a Hilton Hampton within walking distance of the site for about $114/night. Anybody interested? I sure am! 

Calgary Track Site.jpg

Archived