Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • Jim Eh.

      2017 Annual Banquet   10/12/2017

      Saturday Octobre 28th Clarion Hotel 1445 Portage ave.  https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Clarion+Hotel+%26+Suites/@49.8818764,-97.1980597,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x52ea7381e7cf9c6d:0x95f65dafca26e11e!8m2!3d49.881873!4d-97.195871?hl=en   Be there or be square!
justkickin

Summer 2017 - Calgary Trip

Recommended Posts

Reijo recently posted a video of a lot in Calgary where they are having a few events this year. I am thinking road trip, at least for Regionals if not Nationals. No, the schedule is not out yet, but damn...that lot! That is A7 worthy!

Anybody else considering this?

Can you tell I am tired of winter now. lol

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Canadian Nationals are on June 24/25: http://www.vcmc.ca/forum/showthread.php?15922-2017-ASN-FIA-Canadian-National-Autoslalom-Championship-on-June-24-25-2017&p=102208#post102208

 

The lot really is wonderful, but because it is inside the city, the event attendance is huge (100+ drivers).  We had to work hard to ensure a good experience for everyone, especially with the huge number of first timers that show up for events at this venue.

I'll ask our club executive to see if they can schedule an event on the weekend before the nationals.  It would make for a great practise event, and a good stop for people driving out to Pitt Meadows for the nationals.

 

Another course at the venue (Stephen Hui driving my S2000): 

 

Edited by MurrayPeterson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for sharing Murray, hope you guys can keep that site for years to come! Count me in as very interested this year, ideally we could get a Winnipeg group together for this, site looks well worth the effort. I'm leaning towards using my S2000 and offering a co-drive but would consider a co-drive. Although, note sure if the logistics of a weekend event in Calgary followed by Canadian Nationals in Vancouver makes sense for for me.

 

Anyone else interested in Calgary trip and/or Vancouver Nationals trip? (As a driver or looking for a co-drive)

 

With the value of the dollar and the "issues" down south, now is a great time to focus on western canadian autocross options over SCCA events.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I retired last year, so I forget about people needing to work for a living :)  We could hold a weekday event (Wednesday?), but the lot rental is expensive, and we need about 50 drivers to break even.  Not impossible to do, but fees might be a bit hefty :(

 

As for keeping the lot for years, I doubt it will happen.  It is in a prime hotel/parking area right next to the airport, and it is currently for sale.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the update Murray and congrats on retiring.

I don't mind the idea of Vancouver, takes me through wine country again. That would be so unfortunate. lol

I was considering towing the blue car to Calgary...towing through the mountains will require further evaluation. I could always tow an empty trailer through the mountains and drive the blue car through them again, no harm in that. The end of June timing is good though. 

With the length of the drive to Vancouver I don't think it is impossible to shoot for a regional event in Calgary at that airport lot on the way to/from Vancouver. The logistics would require some local club member magic but would make the road trip more fruitful. 

I may have a codriver for both,but if holidays don't work out then would consider opening up a seat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the Calgary Sports Car Club has confirmed the WCMA regional events dates are Saturday June 17 and Sunday June 18: http://www.cscc.ab.ca/autoslalom/

That's the weekend, just before Canadian Nationals In Vancouver.

I have tentative plans in works to attend this event. Looks like drive in Friday, run Saturday & Sunday and drive back on Monday might be the ticket. Anyone else considering?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a maybe. Still trying to plan out my season and was considering something in AB. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jo and I can put up some racers for a few days at our place -- one full spare bedroom+bathroom, and one library that can hold a sleeping bag or two.    And an entire basement :) Don't let your trip be held up due to expensive hotels..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Calgary Regional is on my answers this year although I might make it a 2 day drive starting on Thursday so I am not wiped out for racing Saturday. Already have time booked off work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, codewhore said:

The Calgary Regional is on my answers this year although I might make it a 2 day drive starting on Thursday so I am not wiped out for racing Saturday. Already have time booked off work. 

We split it by getting to Regina the evening of Thursday so we didn't have to take extra vacation time. Anything beyond Regina and you get dive motels bs decent cheap places as you enter regina. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MRS Joe said:

We split it by getting to Regina the evening of Thursday so we didn't have to take extra vacation time. Anything beyond Regina and you get dive motels bs decent cheap places as you enter regina. 

Not a bad idea, more time for fun (and beers) on Friday night in Calgary. Moose Jaw is also another 45min from Regina, Days Inn, Super 8 around $100/night. Doesn't look too bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just heard Moose Jaw is a little less nice.  

Not sure where the site in Calgary is, but some of the hotels around the airport are new and have really great rates. (80-100 a night with new pool). I can look where I booked if anyone cares. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe that the event is in the Budget lot at the airport (I think). Michelle was looking for hotels around the airport and they were really quite reasonable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, codewhore said:

I believe that the event is in the Budget lot at the airport (I think). Michelle was looking for hotels around the airport and they were really quite reasonable.

Comfort inn & suites airport north. Paid 110$ a night after taxes. Was new and clean with good breakfast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are checking Hotwire and Priceline. Found some decent hotels 2.5 - 3 star for 75-95 dollars. Will post up later today when we do a bit more looking.

If you look on any of those sites for hotels, make sure you change currency to Canadian dollars or the deals look even better, but you will just be disappointed later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, codewhore said:

I believe that the event is in the Budget lot at the airport (I think).

The entrance to the lot is 22 St NE, Calgary.  Google maps shows it as a dead end cul-de-sac, but there is a gate there into the lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, codewhore said:

We are checking Hotwire and Priceline. Found some decent hotels 2.5 - 3 star for 75-95 dollars. Will post up later today when we do a bit more looking.

If you look on any of those sites for hotels, make sure you change currency to Canadian dollars or the deals look even better, but you will just be disappointed later.

I used hotels.com. I'd do no less than 3 star anymore. Learnt that lesson once  

Found better deals through the sale emails I receive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last time in Calgary I stayed near the airport at a hotel with the Moxies. Think it was the Sandman. Was a good hotel with a reasonable rate and a decent lounge built in. Not sure if this is anywhere close to the site. 

It's only a couple of nights. I am good with $100-ish per night. Don't want a dive with crappy food or noisy. We are splitting rooms right? So could go even higher in that case. 

Edited by justkickin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will be splitting my room with my wife (and possibly daughter)...sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We just booked our hotel through Priceline; checking in Friday and checking out Monday. Wingate by Wyndham Calgary Airport (3.5 star). $75 a night but after taxes and fees $269.07 which is just under $90 a night

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2017 at 6:20 PM, justkickin said:

Last time in Calgary I stayed near the airport at a hotel with the Moxies. Think it was the Sandman. Was a good hotel with a reasonable rate and a decent lounge built in. Not sure if this is anywhere close to the site. 

It's only a couple of nights. I am good with $100-ish per night. Don't want a dive with crappy food or noisy. We are splitting rooms right? So could go even higher in that case. 

I stayed at that very same Sandman hotel just a week ago. It's nice enough and modernish, good location for being near some restaurants and stuff (Shark Club and Moxies in same parking lot, Denny's attached for breakfast), but probably a good 20 minute drive to the airport. So if you want to stay closer to racing, there are probably better options. If you're fine with a 20 min drive then I'd recommend it.

The coolest part was that I could literally see the Lambo/Lotus dealership from my window, right next door to the large Porche dealer overlooking the valley. Pretty cool. Took a quick drive to check out that area ... we don't have anything like that in Winnipeg. http://focusequities.com/meadows-mile/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-02-12 at 3:55 PM, MurrayPeterson said:

I retired last year, so I forget about people needing to work for a living :)  We could hold a weekday event (Wednesday?), but the lot rental is expensive, and we need about 50 drivers to break even.  Not impossible to do, but fees might be a bit hefty :(

 

As for keeping the lot for years, I doubt it will happen.  It is in a prime hotel/parking area right next to the airport, and it is currently for sale.

hopefully you get to keep it at least another year because I may not be able to go out that way this year. Though if I could swing it, the best time for me would be the beginning of august.

On a side note: if anyone is wondering what the Boeing lot looks like, the area where they are using for grid in the video is almost Identical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×