conebasher

2017 Season-Changes

108 posts in this topic

New Motor, fixed my exhaust so i won't go over the limit like last season and new set of tires. lol!

On 2/14/2017 at 8:25 AM, Brian_Earl_Spilner said:

I'll be showing up to the Gimli event (if there is one), and the RRX event (if there is one).

Same here, although I don't think I'll do RRX because of the infamous dip. The GT-R bottomed out on it, so the R8 will be even worse. But the Gimli event is always a good time.

Oooooooo, rings in the profile picture .....

On 3/17/2017 at 10:07 PM, cboettch said:

Ooook, I'll bite, R8???

Oh yeah, the GT-R is gone cuz Mr. Janzen hooked me up with an R8 :D

3 people like this

Looks like I won't be taking the oem tools out of my trunk this year. From the April fastrack,

"Street
#21376 FRS/BRZ Tool Holder Removal Clarification
Since the FRS/BRZ foam tool holder is secured in place by factory plastic push pins,
without the spare tire holding it in place, it cannot be removed per rule 13.2.F"

The things people will write letters about. smh.

Isn't that applicable to only the holder?

Finish fixing my car and putting it back together. Hopefully I don't have another headgasket leak (car might be eating a bit of coolant somewhere). 'mechanic' drove it around for 2+ hours not realizing he was overheating the motor and didn't bleed the cooling system properly.
- newer LSD
- New tires
-Alignment? ;) 
- Show up!

2 hours ago, Curtis said:

Looks like I won't be taking the oem tools out of my trunk this year. From the April fastrack,

"Street
#21376 FRS/BRZ Tool Holder Removal Clarification
Since the FRS/BRZ foam tool holder is secured in place by factory plastic push pins,
without the spare tire holding it in place, it cannot be removed per rule 13.2.F"

The things people will write letters about. smh.

That's only the tool holder. You could take the tools out of the foam holder.... 

"Anything NOT mechanically fastened"

On 2017-03-21 at 10:13 AM, Jim Eh. said:

"Anything NOT mechanically fastened"

Are the tools considered mechanically fastened by sitting in the foam?  

Another letter to the seb perhaps 

The foam is fastened via the push anchor so that's understood. 

Posted (edited)

Pfffft. I used to get FTD all the time when I had my Civic with a rack full of amplifiers filling up the entire trunk. And you guys are worried about a tire iron & jack?

Edited by Brian_Earl_Spilner

People actually care about a jack and tire iron!?? That's like 0.3% of a vehicle's weight. You could take a dump and have almost as much weight reduction. It's almost as ridiculous as using pizza warmers on your tires in between runs :ph34r:

On 2017-02-05 at 9:54 PM, Magner said:

IMG_20170129_133406_zps3zb9zqh4.jpg?t=14

Currently working on replacing the blown motor with a 2.4L from an SRT-4. The new motor is capable of handling above and beyond what the current turbo setup is capable of producing. New weakest link are the axles and hubs which are a priority since I plan on using wide, heavy wheels with 225 tires up front (245/40/15 once I burn through my current set). Still need to hunt down ground control top hats in order to use the re-valved double adjustable Koni's. Results don't matter this year,  goal is to have the car running, driving and autocrossing reliably (in that order). With some luck I'll be able to address some other non-priority low hanging fruit in the SM rules and get the car setup somewhere half decent.

Alternate goal is to attend minimum 1 autox school (in the reliable daily driver) and show up at ALL events next year.

I helped a friend of mine refresh his motor and put a big turbo on his STR4 in the fall. (took the whole thing out as we did new clutch as well). I have yet to convince him to let me show him the ropes at st. andrews though.

Show up! I know another one lol

still have now engine for the celica so I have refreshed all the suspension on the pax wagon over the winter and just bought some used wheels so that I can actually put summer rubber on the thing this year. looking like some RE71Rs are in my future.

20170318_100431_zpsb5kz0yaw.jpg

On 3/17/2017 at 8:29 PM, nishanna said:

Same here, although I don't think I'll do RRX because of the infamous dip. The GT-R bottomed out on it, so the R8 will be even worse. But the Gimli event is always a good time.

On 3/19/2017 at 3:02 AM, nishanna said:

Oh yeah, the GT-R is gone cuz Mr. Janzen hooked me up with an R8 :D

Congrats on the R8 and welcome to the darkside.

Regarding Gimli, there are actually 2 Gimli events this year, one in May and one in August. However the big change with the Gimli event is we will be using the section of the track between the kart track and the road race course; pending a site inspection once the snow melts enough for us to get out there.

This will be a completely new experience and a great opportunity for us to design a different kind of course as the area is about 220ft wide and 1800ft long compared to St. Andrews which is 75ft wide and 2000ft long or the road race course which is 35ft wide by however long it is. I think by using this area we will be able to start earlier in the day than we previously have done at Gimli as we can race while road race is happening. This means we can do fun runs if people are still interested. We should also avoid the timing issues that plagued us at Gimli last year due to how far away the timing gear for the finish line is from the trailer.

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, codewhore said:

Congrats on the R8 and welcome to the darkside.

Regarding Gimli, there are actually 2 Gimli events this year, one in May and one in August. However the big change with the Gimli event is we will be using the section of the track between the kart track and the road race course; pending a site inspection once the snow melts enough for us to get out there.

This will be a completely new experience and a great opportunity for us to design a different kind of course as the area is about 220ft wide and 1800ft long compared to St. Andrews which is 75ft wide and 2000ft long or the road race course which is 35ft wide by however long it is. I think by using this area we will be able to start earlier in the day than we previously have done at Gimli as we can race while road race is happening. This means we can do fun runs if people are still interested. We should also avoid the timing issues that plagued us at Gimli last year due to how far away the timing gear for the finish line is from the trailer.

Thanks Shawn. I agree the timing issues sucked, but I enjoyed the higher speeds of using the road course. Is this the same area that was used back in the early 2000s? Here is a video of what I'm referring to (yes, I was as terrible back then as I am now :P): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoC7HHxDr-A

If so, it will be interesting to see what the condition is like. It wasn't very good 14 years ago when that video was taken.

Edited by nishanna

29 minutes ago, nishanna said:

Thanks Shawn. I agree the timing issues sucked, but I enjoyed the higher speeds of using the road course. Is this the same area that was used back in the early 2000s? Here is a video of what I'm referring to (yes, I was as terrible back then as I am now :P): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoC7HHxDr-A

If so, it will be interesting to see what the condition is like. It wasn't very good 14 years ago when that video was taken.

Agreed that due to the lack of offset elements we can do at Gimli on the road course the average speed is higher. Although at St. Andrews I have easily hit the same speeds as I did at Gimli. I haven't been at an event that uses the portion of the track I am referring to (same as in your video) however it is the area that drift uses for their events...it seems to have now been dubbed "the skid pad".

I do know that the track has not been resurfaced since that video was taken. I suspect though that the surface isn't any worse than what we have a St. Andrews. We will be visiting the track prior to the event to do an assessment and if it doesn't suit our needs we will implement a Plan B.

One other thing I had talked to Scott (Road Race director) about was using the road course after both the Road Race and Autoslalom events are complete. Possibly instead of fun runs, during a supper break we could set-up an autoslalom course on the road course like in past years. We just might have to do it without timing. But at this point that is just an idea and not officially part of "the plan".

Yeah, that unused part of the runway is pretty brutal. Haha nice classic video, Nish.. I'm holding on for dear life in that video.

Somebody last year used a drone to take aerial video of one of the drift days at that section. I can't find right now, but I recall it looked in pretty bad shape too, and that was just last year.

I may be wrong, and that section might be sufficiently rubbered over now. Here's hoping.

On 3/23/2017 at 8:44 AM, nishanna said:

People actually care about a jack and tire iron!?? That's like 0.3% of a vehicle's weight. You could take a dump and have almost as much weight reduction. It's almost as ridiculous as using pizza warmers on your tires in between runs :ph34r:

Briget lost at Nationals by .001 seconds over 2 days. I think if we could have removed another couple of pounds, she would have 2 jackets instead of 1

On 4/2/2017 at 4:37 PM, conebasher said:

Briget lost at Nationals by .001 seconds over 2 days. I think if we could have removed another couple of pounds, she would have 2 jackets instead of 1

Or maybe she could have won if she just drove a bit better? ^_^ A 2lb weight reduction at Jeff J's skill level might yield a better result. Anyone else, the odds are pretty slim.

10 hours ago, nishanna said:

Or maybe she could have won if she just drove a bit better? ^_^ A 2lb weight reduction at Jeff J's skill level might yield a better result. Anyone else, the odds are pretty slim.

The fact remains that in autocross, less weight almost always results in reduced lap times and no matter what % a driver is getting out of their car, if that car would have been lighter, they probably would have gone quicker. And another fact is that this sport is won and lost by very small margins of time, and if you chop off enough tenths of a second, you will chop off a whole second of time.

On 4/2/2017 at 4:37 PM, conebasher said:

1 jacket or 2, in either case congratulations!

A few missed shifts last year, plus a leaky valve seal means the head needed to come off on my car.  Pushrods have never sounded so good!  No timing to worry about when reassembling.  :)  20170409_163819.jpg.6713018e01b76eb0e7ad289d89629835.jpg

20170409_173027.jpg.aa02abbe506602c64f3c23eca08f11be.jpg

1 person likes this

38 minutes ago, Corey said:

Pushrods have never sounded so good!  No timing to worry about when reassembling.  :)  

I'll rebuild your engine if you finish my swap...  I'll have yours back to you in two days. Not sure how many weeks you'll need to complete mine though. :P